PDA

View Full Version : I have Fedora Core 5 - can I install Fedora Core7?

fednoob77
23rd October 2007, 11:21 AM
:confused:

Hello all-

Hopefully, you gents and ladies can help a newbie chick out....

I am wet behind the ears as they say and have a quick question. I currently have Fedora Core 5 installed on an old PC of mine and am having some problems with it. I decided instead to try to install Fedora Core 7 and see if it would take care of my driver issues I am having (mainly with my NIC).

I now have Fedora Core 7 on a DVD but I cannot figure out how to install it on the system. I am using an external DVD Rom since my internal CD rom isn't being recognized.

When I put the DVD in, I am able to view it under "Computer" in Fedora Core 5 but I do not know how to actually install FC7.

How do I boot from the DVD so that FC7 will be installed instead of FC5 running on start up?

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Also, if I have a Linksys LNE2000 NIC, does anyone know if it will allow me to get online using FC7? It doesn't show up under the Ethernet list in FC5. or should I just buy a new card?

Thank you all very much

bob
23rd October 2007, 12:41 PM
Hi! Well, the problem is that you'd have to be able to boot your external DVD before your hard drive, so that the installer starts before getting into FC5. That may or may not be possible, depending on your system and you could check that out in your BIOS. If your CD-Rom is dead, you might consider plugging the hard drive into another machine with a working DVD-Rom or, perhaps a better option is here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=165622

The reason I mentioned the CD-Rom at all was that I'd prefer to do a Live CD install vs. using the DVD, since the packages are 6 months old now and you'll be facing more updates with the DVD install than doing a minimal Live-CD install and then picking up-to-date packages from the repositories.

fednoob77
23rd October 2007, 02:50 PM
hi Bob - thanks for responding.

I just checked and u r correct. DVD Rom isn't an option under BIOS... I could TRY to switch the hard drive with the other machine to boot but this isn't something i've done before. Is it recommended? I don't want to damage my pc... :(

Jman
26th October 2007, 08:10 AM
It may not be an option, but does it boot? How did you boot the FC5 installer?

There are other options like boot.iso and then pointing it at a Fedora mirror.

brr872002
26th October 2007, 09:04 AM
Copy DVD.iso to your Fat32 or ext2 other than installation parttions.
cp vmlinuz and intrd.img to /boot

Edit grub.conf of your FC5 .
Add entry
title FC7 install
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/ram
initrd /boot/initrd.img
(root (hd0,2)) is as per your HDD of Fc5

Melio
26th October 2007, 05:13 PM
Fedora 7, it is no longer named "core"