PDA

View Full Version : yum update

.:neogeo:.
18th October 2007, 03:21 PM
hi all,

I need a little help , I am trying to update my fc6 box in order to get it ready for update to Fedora 7... thi s is my problem,

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: faad2 = 2.0-19.20050131.lvn6 for package: xmms-faad2
--> Processing Dependency: faad2 < 2.5 for package: ffmpeg-libs
--> Processing Dependency: xine-lib-moles >= 1.1.2 for package: xine
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package xine-lib-moles.i386 0:1.1.6-1.fc6 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libfame-0.9.so.1 for package: xine-lib-moles
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Package libfame.i386 0:0.9.1-12.fc6 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
---> Package kernel.i586 0:2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 set to be erased
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 = 2.0-19.20050131.lvn6 is needed by package xmms-faad2
Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 < 2.5 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs

I have added this to my yum.conf exclude=xmms-* vlc* ffmpeg-libs xmms-faad2 but it does not seem to work. Could anyone help?

Wayne
18th October 2007, 03:28 PM
Actually, the best thing to do is a clean install of Fedora 7. There have been a lot of changes, especially the way the kernel recognises hard disks and a lot of things that could break.

Looking at the output I would imagine you have both the Freshrpms and Livna repos enabled, which is a big no-no!

The best thing is sort out the conflicts you've created by enabling these two repos that don't get along with each other and wait a month till F8 is released and do a clean install and not an upgrade.

Wayne

18th October 2007, 03:49 PM
hi wayne,

thanks for the reply.

>I would imagine you have both the Freshrpms and Livna repos enabled, which is a big no-no!
yeah your right! my bad, I cant remember why i enabled these repos but they are now there.

When you say to do a clean install rather than a upgrade, do you mean to boot my box using the fedora 7 iso and do a clean install? I want to keep my current file system and programs but would like to update to the latest and greatest. Could you clarify what you mean?

Cheers

Wayne
18th October 2007, 03:54 PM
hi wayne,

thanks for the reply.

>I would imagine you have both the Freshrpms and Livna repos enabled, which is a big no-no!
yeah your right! my bad, I cant remember why i enabled these repos but they are now there.

When you say to do a clean install rather than a upgrade, do you mean to boot my box using the fedora 7 iso and do a clean install? I want to keep my current file system and programs but would like to update to the latest and greatest. Could you clarify what you mean?

Cheers

Just format the / partition but leave your /home alone if it's on a separate partition (which it is better) If not, back-up the data in /home and make sure you have a partition for it when you install F7. As I said, F8 is less than a month away and is looking good so it might be worth waiting.

As for your repo conflicts, Leigh will be in soon to tell you about the 'protectbase' plug-in for YUM :D

Wayne

growl
18th October 2007, 04:10 PM
Or you can just deactivate one of that repositories ;)
And reinstall some progs from one of them

skeptic
18th October 2007, 08:07 PM
As for your repo conflicts, Leigh will be in soon to tell you about the 'protectbase' plug-in for YUM :D

Wayne
Ooohh, I like the sound of that. I'm also running FC6 with various no-no repositories that have been enabled from time to time. Sometimes you just plain a different repository for things, and installing from source mixed in with binary packages can cause it's own set of problems.

Needing things that are in a "bad" repository and not wanting to mix source code installed apps with binary packages has caused me to go with gentoo on a client PC (mythTV client), and I'm undecided which way to go when I upgrade my main FC6 box. If this protectbase plug-in can solve my woes it would really be nice.

Wayne
19th October 2007, 01:18 AM
Or you can just deactivate one of that repositories ;)
And reinstall some progs from one of them

Yes, I started with the Freshrpms repo activated but wanted to switch to Livna because avidemux wouldn't install due to one of Freshrpms libraries. I had to remove a few files, then switch repos, do an update with the Livna repo, then reinstall the things I'd removed. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. A quick search through the forum will turn up the thread explaining what I did.

Wayne