PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird closes when opening emails

casket88
17th October 2007, 11:52 PM
Hi All,

I have posted this over at the Thunderbird forums and they have recommended me come here.

I have recently built some Fedora7 boxes for a couple of employees and we are running in to some real problems with thunderbird.

The user in question (for arguments sake, userA) has had all her mail copied accross from a Windows XP box also using Thunderbird. The mail imported fine and we were able to see it in the inbox and all of her folders. However whenever she were to click (only once) on an email to even highlight it (let alone open it) thunderbird closed to desktop. This happened with every single peice of spam mail she had (and they do get a few). This was an annoying inconvenience but it was only happening with spam.

However, when she tried to open emails with invoices from our freight company they also started closing. The only way she could get to the PDF attatchements was to right click on the email and click "Edit as new...".

I decided to fake an email from the domain name of the freight company and the email went through fine. Sent a few emails from external mail accounts with PDF attatchements and they also went through fine.

We have a NEW user (userB) who also had a Fedora box built up for her. Both userA and userB are using different hardware. When userA forwards the email in question (the legit invoiced email) to userB it also closes on her workstation.

The thunderbird forums have stated that it may be a glitch in the Fedora implementation.

I have no idea what the issue could be but the issue has been outstanding for some time now and I really need to find a fix.

If anyone could help I would be very appreciative.

forkbomb
17th October 2007, 11:58 PM
How did you install it? Did you use Fedora's package management or compile/install it from source code downloaded from the website?

casket88
18th October 2007, 12:05 AM
yum install thunderbird

forkbomb
18th October 2007, 12:09 AM
In that case what I'd personally try - and no guarantees here - to remove what yum installed and try installing it from source code from the Mozilla website.

ppesci
18th October 2007, 01:00 AM
Can you see in the /var/log/messages file?.

May be there are useful information about thunderbird crashing.

I use thunderbird in a i386 fedora 7, installed with yum as you did, and don't have that problems.

HTH

casket88
18th October 2007, 01:19 AM
Hey!

Recreated the thunderbird crash and checked /var/log/messages -

Oct 18 10:14:59 fedora5 gconfd (joanneallsopp-4463): starting (version 2.18.0.1)
, pid 4463 user 'joanneallsopp'
Oct 18 10:14:59 fedora5 gconfd (joanneallsopp-4463): Resolved address "xml:reado
nly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at posit
ion 0
Oct 18 10:14:59 fedora5 gconfd (joanneallsopp-4463): Resolved address "xml:readw
rite:/home/joanneallsopp/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position
Oct 18 10:14:59 fedora5 gconfd (joanneallsopp-4463): Resolved address "xml:reado
nly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at positi
on 2

ppesci
18th October 2007, 01:47 AM
Nothing special, I am checking with my thunderbird and have the same messages (almost).

Get a terminal and type:

strace thunderbird

You will see tons of output while app is runing. Crash thunderbird and check for output to see an error message.

HTH

casket88
18th October 2007, 02:17 AM
Logged in as root and it cant find 'strace', also searched the system with 'find / -name strace'.

ppesci
18th October 2007, 02:22 AM
yum install strace

you must execute strace command above as the thunderbird user, that is, the user that crashed thunderbird.

HTH

casket88
18th October 2007, 03:38 AM
Hey!

Whole heap of output - I will post the last 30 or so lines but you probably on need the last 10 (or so :))

stat64("/lib/i686", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/lib/sse2/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/lib/sse2", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/lib", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/usr/lib/tls/i686/sse2/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/tls/i686/sse2", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/tls/i686/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/tls/i686", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/tls/sse2/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/tls/sse2", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/tls/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/tls", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/usr/lib/i686/sse2/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/i686/sse2", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/i686/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/i686", 0xbfed2d1c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/sse2/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/sse2", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=69632, ...}) = 0
munmap(0xb3f34000, 60328) = 0
munmap(0x69c2000, 317920) = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
unlink("/home/joanneallsopp/.thunderbird/5cy6yx5s.default/lock") = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [SEGV], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(6545, 6545, SIGSEGV) = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

ppesci
18th October 2007, 04:32 AM
The problem is a segmentation fault, that is, and invalid address has been processed.

Are you using Fedora 64 bits version (x86_64)?

Anyway, try the command:

yum install compat-libstdc++

and then run thunderbird again

HTH

casket88
18th October 2007, 05:09 AM
Your bloods worth bottlin!

I guess I installed the 64 bit version - I was simply given a DVD by my boss with "Fedora 7" written on it. Is it going to cause alot of problems with a 64 bit version on 32 bit hardware?

Also, here at the office our users have their Default Gateway set for our proxy server. Is there a way of forcing yum to use another gateway (as it cant access the internet via our proxy server) to save me having to change the gateway just to use yum?

Also while I have you I'll fire off a few outstanding questions i have yet to post on these forums. Let me know if you want me to piss off and make other threads.

1 - The users have links to Windows shares (via SMB). These links are on their desktops and work fine. However for some reason they fail to save the username and password even though they are exactly the same as the permissions assigned to the share.

2 - When they connect to this drive they are unable to execute files (have only attempted to run openoffice documents) directly from the share. They first have to copy it to the desktop, edit it and then move it back up.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

ppesci
18th October 2007, 05:59 AM
Ok:

first things first.

1) the problem with thunderbird has been solved?. If so, you must to post a BUG report stating package thunderbird in x86_64 has wrong dependencies, btw, my 32 bits do not depend on compat-libtdc++. But because to fill a bug report is too complex (I try once but failed miserably :) ), put a thread requesting someone fill the bug report in F7 for you, remember, the bug is in x86_64. Anyway, try the command:

uname -a

to check is a F7 x86_64 version you had installed.

2) 64 bit version only run in 64 bit machines, then you have a 64 bit capable machine. But I have 64 bit machine and run 32 bit because the software is more tested and I will got a lot less headaches :). The performance is almost the same, but 64 bit can address more than 4GB of ram easily. If your machines has less than that memory, I suggest you to switch.

3) You have another problem with your ethernet card (static or dynamic address), I gave some hint to you, go to thread and see if it works. No guaranties but, you can try something like that.

4) Problem 1: I suggest you put a definition of the share in the file /etc/fstab, giving the userneme and password. In this way, everytime user turn on the computer, they get a share automaticaly. The drawback of this solution is:only 1 user must to use the machine if she has a private share. A second solution is to do an script and put it in he/her desktop, the script must contain something like:

mount -t smbfs //machinename/share /mountpoint -o user=user,password=password

change the italics for a proper values.

5) Problem 2. I saw the problem description in this forum, locate the thread using the word smb or samba. Do not know if that problem has been solved, but I for sure saw it here. One way to solve may be, is use linux machine as server and not to use windoze, but i can be wrong

6) samba (SMB file/printer share) is a very complex and powerful software piece, there are tons of documentation to read, Patience and have fun.

7) The problem of the gateway can be solved by scripts using the route command. You first can delete the gateway, add the new one, execute yum, delete new gateway and restore the old one. I can help you in that but think some reading is best for you now.
See:

man route

for more information. If you have problems, post here or in a new thread in the forum. Here are a bunch of very clever people that will help you.

HTH

casket88
18th October 2007, 06:26 AM
1) the problem with thunderbird has been solved?. If so, you must to post a BUG report stating package thunderbird in x86_64 has wrong dependencies, btw, my 32 bits do not depend on compat-libtdc++. But because to fill a bug report is too complex (I try once but failed miserably ), put a thread requesting someone fill the bug report in F7 for you, remember, the bug is in x86_64. Anyway, try the command:

uname -a

to check is a F7 x86_64 version you had installed.

The problem is solved, I installed compat-libstdc++-33. The problem is however that I have installed Fedora7 from the same DVD on OLDER hardware that are NOT 64 bit compatible?

uname -a
Linux fedora3.hostname 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

64 bit version only run in 64 bit machines, then you have a 64 bit capable machine. But I have 64 bit machine and run 32 bit because the software is more tested and I will got a lot less headaches . The performance is almost the same, but 64 bit can address more than 4GB of ram easily. If your machines has less than that memory, I suggest you to switch.

If it turns out I have indeed installed the 64 bit version and i need to reinstall, it is going to be a HUGE problem. I have built up 7 fedora boxes that are allready overdue, and the time that would be needed to do them all again is.... too hard to even think about. If there is ANY way I can prevent this from happening I will do this. It would have been completely my fault and I would learn from it, but I'm hoping from the above it turns out the version is 32bit.

You have another problem with your ethernet card (static or dynamic address), I gave some hint to you, go to thread and see if it works. No guaranties but, you can try something like that.

Thank you for your support. I will try and create the script tomorrow and give you feedback.

Problem 1: I suggest you put a definition of the share in the file /etc/fstab, giving the userneme and password. In this way, everytime user turn on the computer, they get a share automaticaly. The drawback of this solution is:only 1 user must to use the machine if she has a private share. A second solution is to do an script and put it in he/her desktop, the script must contain something like:

mount -t smbfs //machinename/share /mountpoint -o user=user,password=password

change the italics for a proper values.

The user has her own machine so putting an entry in /etc/fstab should work. Could you give me the propper syntax to do this?

Problem 2. I saw the problem description in this forum, locate the thread using the word smb or samba. Do not know if that problem has been solved, but I for sure saw it here. One way to solve may be, is use linux machine as server and not to use windoze, but i can be wrong

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please elaborate.

samba (SMB file/printer share) is a very complex and powerful software piece, there are tons of documentation to read, Patience and have fun.

Knowledge is power. At the moment I am under a trumendous workload but I will try my best to read up about it.

The problem of the gateway can be solved by scripts using the route command. You first can delete the gateway, add the new one, execute yum, delete new gateway and restore the old one. I can help you in that but think some reading is best for you now.
See:

man route

Sounds fair to me! thanks

ppesci
18th October 2007, 06:58 AM
Athlon can run 64 bit software, Stay 64 bits and don't worry, but no so sure your kernel is 64 bits, anyway, it works.

For a share in fstab, see:

man fstab

but will be faster to do the script (is only 1 line as stated above). If you are under pressure, I suggest use the script.

About you OpenOffice problem, I did try to find the thread for you but no luck. Best is you put a new thread about your problems with samba shares and openoffice..

You are welcome

tsorvoja
18th October 2007, 07:01 AM
Hi,
Do you have Lightning add-on installed? I had this problem when older Lightning version didn't work with Thunderbird. Try disabling Lightning and then restart Thunderbird.

**Nevermind. Problem seemed to be solved.** :D

casket88
18th October 2007, 07:03 AM
Yup i sure do have lightning installed!

Thanks ppecsi - I will try all of that tomorrow. The day is drawing to a close now... :D

Hlingler
18th October 2007, 09:06 AM
Hello:

I used to have T-Bird crashes constantly, right after I first installed it, and I tracked them down to faulty add-ons - Tango Icon Theme, in my case, crashed every time a new message caused a pop-up notice to spawn. The point to keep in mind is, if you do have problems in future with T-Bird, it could likely be caused by add-ons (extensions/themes) - and the more goodies you pile on, the more likely to have problems....

Regards,
V

Footballer
29th February 2008, 01:32 PM
wat is Thunderburd

Hlingler
29th February 2008, 08:51 PM
wat is ThunderburdThunderbird is an open-source e-mail reader (client), the GNU/Linux equivalent of M$ Outlook/Outlook Express. It is provided by Mozilla.org, the same people that make FireFox web browser. Other similar e-mail readers available for Fedora are: KMail, Evolution, Claws Mail.

See: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/features.html

Regards,
V