PDA

View Full Version : 64bit p2p file sharing program?

Fittersman
17th October 2007, 11:21 PM
does anyone know of a 64bit person to person file sharing program?

forkbomb
17th October 2007, 11:50 PM
For a strictly 64-bit p2p program, there is 64-bit gtk-gnutella is in the standard repositories.

yum install gtk-gnutella

(It's not specifically 64-bit, but Frostwire can be downloaded as a noarch.rpm. But that will require Java of some sort - I use Sun Java. http://www.frostwire.com/. Runs fine on my 64-bit box and on my 32-bit box.)

Fittersman
18th October 2007, 12:12 AM
yah, i tried frostwire but i gave up after a while, the gtk one seems to work fine for me though, thanks

forkbomb
18th October 2007, 12:43 AM
yah, i tried frostwire but i gave up after a while, the gtk one seems to work fine for me though, thanks

What do you mean by "tried?" Did you get it to launch?

Fittersman
18th October 2007, 02:29 AM
no, i went 'yum install frostwire' (or something like that, but i had the correct command) then i typed in 'frostwire' and it said i need java, so i went to the java site got the latest java installed it, but it still claimed i need java so i gave up

forkbomb
18th October 2007, 03:28 AM
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html#java

I use that guide to install Sun Java. Frostwire works fine with it (much better than in Windows with the official JRE).

Note: the guide above is slightly outdated. There is a new update out on JRE, so for one of those commands you have to change the file name.

Fittersman
18th October 2007, 03:56 AM
alright thanks for the guide, ill give it a go sometime when i get a bit of free time

Thetargos
18th October 2007, 05:48 AM
You can also use amule, which can be found in the repos (livna, I believe)

moujik
20th October 2007, 06:14 PM
i'm trying and trying..
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo mv -f jre1.6* /opt/jre1.6
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
moujik is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

do you know what kind of password is required there?

anyway it's update 3 that is available, so i did all that with that.

stephanie.steve
20th October 2007, 08:02 PM
I've said it before I'll say it again.. I may make a new thread on this to let others know :X if your getting bigger files then music(witch of course you already own) then get them via rapidshare or megaupload.. instead of paying you can just disconnect your modem and get a new ip address :) if yours can do that anyways.. mine is behind a router and I just press disconnect and 5 seconds later(not kidding) I get a new ip address.. why should you do this your asking? because p2p and bit torrent sucks half the time.. this way at least you will use your full internet download speed all the time almost ;)

forkbomb
20th October 2007, 08:29 PM
i'm trying and trying..
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo mv -f jre1.6* /opt/jre1.6
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
moujik is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

do you know what kind of password is required there?

anyway it's update 3 that is available, so i did all that with that.

Sorry! Forgot that the guide has sudo's in it.

Your user is not setup as a "sudoer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo)". Sudo basically makes your normal username into a quasi-administrator. Earlier in the guide it explains how to set it up. See here:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html#sudo

For you, this should do it:

su
echo 'moujik ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
exit

I don't like sudo, and don't have my name setup as a sudoer, so if you don't want to either, wherever there's something that says "sudo" just log in as root (su -) and give your root password. Then when you run the command just skip the sudo part. (e.g. just "mv -f jre1.6* /opt/jre1.6")

because p2p and bit torrent sucks half the time.. this way at least you will use your full internet download speed all the time almost ;)
If you're not getting good file transfers with torrents, one of a few things may be happening:

1) you picked a bad torrent with not a lot of seeders
2) Your torrent app is throttled (or a piece of crap)
3) you're using Windows ;) (I've noticed downloading in Linux is generally faster for me regardless of the protocol.)

I have 5 mbit connection and I can routinely get Ktorrent downloading at a total of 600kb/s plus (I believe 640 kb/s is my limit). Of course, I usually queue up several. Forwarding ports can help too.

You're right as far as other p2p networks. My download speeds through Gnutella are nothing spectacular.

stephanie.steve
20th October 2007, 09:36 PM
I never use windows anymore really unless I need a quick program :X pretty soon I may install it to try and play bioshock as well.. you would be surprised actually :X I pick ones with a lot of seeds but still it takes forever for it to reach even half way.. it's the same on every bt client :\ I've port forwrded as well.. just not a bt fan ;) p2p was good maybe a few years ago but at least with rapidshare I almost never get something fake

forkbomb
20th October 2007, 11:29 PM
Just remembered something else - some ISPs block or limit torrent downloads. http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs
Also remember that some torrent apps scale download speed to what you're uploading at, so that you have to upload at a decent speed in order to get decent DL speeds.

I've never run into a fake torrent. That happens when you're trying to download (pirate) something very new, like movies before they're released to DVD. Which I don't do. I've heard rumors that the RIAA and its IP bogeyman cronies release these, but that's probably rumor.

(Also, I only use Windows for gaming. It's my "weekend OS". :))

In any event, this is very OT so if you want to bash p2p downloading, maybe you should start that post. :p

stephanie.steve
21st October 2007, 12:37 AM
not got a fake bt file? well your lucky but I would get a few :X my whole point was speed and even under windows it was an issue for me.. I found my heaven and that's the stuff I named above ;) I got my point across :D

moujik
22nd October 2007, 12:35 AM
so i've done all that
sudo mv -f jre1.6* /opt/jre1.6
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 compat-libstdc++-296
core-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
livna-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
adobe-linux-i386 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
freshrpms 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
updates-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
macromedia 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
Reducing Fedora Core 7 - i386 to included packages only
Finished
Reducing Livna for Fedora Core 7 - i386 - Base to included packages only
Finished
Reducing Fedora Core 7 - i386 - Updates to included packages only
Finished
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

or is there, coz it ain't workin.

forkbomb
22nd October 2007, 01:29 AM
so i've done all that
sudo mv -f jre1.6* /opt/jre1.6
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 Desktop]$ sudo yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 compat-libstdc++-296
core-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
livna-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
adobe-linux-i386 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
freshrpms 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
updates-32bit 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
macromedia 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
Finished
Finished
Finished
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

or is there, coz it ain't workin.

First, I'm noticing a problem that will possibly (probably?) cause problems eventually - you have both freshrpms and livna enabled. Using one or the other is okay, but using both can cause dependencies to go haywire and maybe bork your entire system. I've never seen that output before and I'm wondering if you've got problems with conflicts already?

The libraries your'e attempting to install may already be installed. Let's see the output of yum list compat-libstdc++-33 compat-libstdc++-296.

If it says they're installed, continue on the mjmwired guide underneath where it mentions the dependencies, at "Controlling Java through 'alternatives'".

If they're not installed, yum may be getting confused because of freshrpms/livna conflict.

moujik
22nd October 2007, 03:38 AM
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 ~]$ yum list compat-libstdc++-33
Finished
Finished
Finished
Installed Packages
compat-libstdc++-33.i386 3.2.3-61 installed
compat-libstdc++-33.x86_64 3.2.3-61 installed
[moujik@c213-89-164-248 ~]$ yum list compat-libstdc++-296
Finished
Finished
Finished
Installed Packages
compat-libstdc++-296.i386 2.96-138 installed

psyklops
22nd October 2007, 07:31 AM
I thought p2p stood for peer-to-peer as opposed to person to person :)

anyways.. stephanie.steve has the right idea. encrypted downloads via ssh/ssl etc. are becoming a lot more popular now days too.

P2P networks are riddled with junk files and the like. there is a very active block list which blocks connections from known sites that deliver junk files to guarantee better quality files being downloaded.