PDA

View Full Version : No MP3 audio but test plays fine...

decades
17th October 2007, 07:22 PM
This is my first personal Linux installation so I am a little rusty with it all, so forgive any stupid mistakes

Basically, I managed to install MP3 audio (Fluendo) and had it all up and running with Banshee. Now, a few days later, for some reason, the audio has stopped playing back. In no other application will it pick up the drivers (I've tried Amarok, both in KDE and GNOME, Audacious, Exaile, Kaffeine, Listen and Muine) but still the test in 'Sound Card Detection' works fine. Normally I would expect an output error or a complaint about drivers and / or the ability to play MP3s, but for all intensive purposes, it's as if Banshee is on mute.

I have checked the obvious (i.e. volume levels and mute) but nothing seems out of place. Obviously something is, hence my presence here! I have Googled around but found nothing relating to what I am after so I am hoping somebody can help.

I am running Fedora 8 (kernel 2.6.23-5.fc8). aplay -l returns:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Please let me know if any other information would be needed to assist diagnosing this.

Seve
17th October 2007, 09:16 PM
Hello:
Welcome to the forums :)

You are using a Beta version which is still in Development and there are bound to be issues.
You may get a few suggestions here, however, the best place to get a solution or receive and provide feedback is to follow the guidelines here. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate
see the mailing list and bugzilla

The developers do not monitor the forums.

Seve

scottro
18th October 2007, 01:38 AM
There is an update that messed up sound permissions. It sounds like you're one of the victims, as the testing of the sound card (which is done with root permissions) works.

Do a search on the forums for update broke sound

See this thread http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168536ad.