PDA

View Full Version : KDE keeps locking

WolffEin
17th October 2007, 02:54 PM
Hey mates,

I'm recently experiencing an irritating problem with KDE: some programs make it reboot "spontaneously". Programs that more often do that are full screen games like OpenArena and SuperTux and Methane Brothers, but recently Amarok started doing the same, and without fullscreen =P

anybody got any tips on how to deal with that?

FriedChips
17th October 2007, 02:57 PM
Start using gnome? :D Are you using any proprietary video drivers? ie nvidia drivers fglrx drivers, if so where did you get/install them from?

WolffEin
17th October 2007, 03:05 PM
Nope, they lock fluxbox also, I don't think gnome would be that much of a change... =p and my drivers are the ones from an onboard asus, a7s266 vm/u2, if memory serves me right. I didn't think it would be graphics because amarok does it even when on the systray =P

FriedChips
17th October 2007, 03:07 PM
How can you be sure it is Amarok? Are you logging any useful errors?

WolffEin
17th October 2007, 03:23 PM
How can you be sure it is Amarok? Are you logging any useful errors?

Well, it does happen always when I close amarok, but may be something else. Other players work fine (Kaffeine, namely, and Totem). What else could it be?

FriedChips
17th October 2007, 03:33 PM
Hmmm. Not real sure I have had some problems with the kmod-nvidia drivers doing similar in the past, and have recently experienced the same problems with the kmod-nvidia drivers in f8t3. Try switching to the vesa driver for a lil bit and see what that does. X-moto will do this to me sometimes though it does not reboot, it just locks hard with only mouse movement but nothing works ei ctrol+alt+bckspace, ctrl+alt+F1. Anyway see what another X11 driver does.

su -
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.good
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#make sure the X in X11 is capitalized.
#look for a line that says Driver "whatever"
#change it to read Driver "vesa"
#if that doesn't work change it back
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.good /etc/X11/xorg.conf