PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 - gnome 2.18.3 - Desktop icons have disappeared

rambat
16th October 2007, 04:10 PM
Yesterday when I turned on my desktop workstation, I found that Desktop icons have disappeared and I can't right-clik the Desktop.

After some googling I test the 'Ctrl+R' for 'reload' the Desktop w/o result. After that I open the 'Gconf Editor' and look at 'apps > nautilus > preferences > show-desktop' option to check that was activated, as suggested a link I found on google.

I have also tried to log in as 'root', but the 'root' user Destop works fine, the icons are here and I can add destop launchers, right-click open the familiar desktop floating menu.

But I have been unable to get the icons displayed again nor the Desktop right-click functionality work again with my normal account. The 'Desktop' directory is here under my 'home' directory with the correct files (launchers) inside.

Any help would be welcomed.

TIA
Ramon

strikeforce
16th October 2007, 05:00 PM
remove your ~/.Xauthority and ~/.xsession-errors.

rambat
16th October 2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reply 'strikeforce' but that not correct the problem.

Any other?

RJFUatHOME
16th October 2007, 06:24 PM
I would try logging in as root and renaming some of the hidden gnome configuration folders and logging back in to see if it gets fixed. Such as .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf and .gconfd. Do them one by one and see if it fixes itself.

You could always rebuild the account by creating a new user account for yourself if it appears hopelesslly corrupted.

hermouche
16th October 2007, 06:49 PM
Yes, you 're right RJFUatHOME, that's what i did few months ago, i had the same problem. So i saved my documents under the /root and then after as you said and it is a good idea to just create a new user account and drop there the saved documents.

However i don't now actually how to solve this kind of problem, so.....!!!

red

rhlnewbie
16th October 2007, 06:58 PM
what caused the problem to happen in the first place? It would be good to know.
miles sakaguchi

rambat
16th October 2007, 07:38 PM
I recover the 'Desktop' functionality after open the 'Desktop' folder under 'Sites Menu'. But I don't know why. :(

Thanks for the help guys.
Ramon