PDA

View Full Version : Writing to NTFS partition

biggsk
16th October 2007, 02:33 AM
Does writing to an NTFS partition cause an issues with the data or corruption?

I noticed when I copied a .txt file to a windows NTFS share that it added an extra character (a square) to the end of the line when I open the txt file while on the windows machine.

Thanks for any input.

glennzo
16th October 2007, 02:43 AM
The data is not corrupted. That's the difference between the way Linux and Windows handle text files. There was a recent post here telling about a utility that would allow you to format a Linux text file for reading in Windows. Try searching the forum.

biggsk
16th October 2007, 02:46 AM
Oh ok, cool I'll check that out.
I was wondering more about gzip files getting messed up, because I had heard from some one in the past about Linux not writing to NTFS properly or something like that. Is that not true?

leadgolem
16th October 2007, 03:31 AM
Writing to ntfs is no longer a problem. In the past it could cause data corrupt, or even fubar an entire ntfs partition. Ntfs-3g managed to solve these problems.

biggsk
16th October 2007, 03:34 AM
Awesome thanks for the info!

Dies
16th October 2007, 03:36 AM
Oh ok, cool I'll check that out.
I was wondering more about gzip files getting messed up, because I had heard from some one in the past about Linux not writing to NTFS properly or something like that. Is that not true?

I've had no problems whatsoever with ntfs-3g, but of course everyones experience will differ, I find it faster than the native driver, and I also find that you get little to no fragmentation if you use it exclusively.

As far as text files, do yourself a favor and use Wordpad. Notepad sucks. ;)

I think what glennzo was talking about is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix2dos