PDA

View Full Version : fedora don't see my digital camera

ladybluballs
13th October 2007, 10:21 PM
hi I was trying to use my olympus d-340r digital camera but its not reconized by fedora 7 is there something I need to install thanks for help

cavin1
14th October 2007, 12:40 AM
hi I was trying to use my olympus d-340r digital camera but its not reconized by fedora 7 is there something I need to install thanks for help
No dissrespect but you connected the camera in its 'off' position, then after connection turn on the camera....... DigiCam should find it. If not go to Control centre select "Peripherals --- Camera" (I think) and manually search for your camera by name....... regards Des Cavin......................

ladybluballs
14th October 2007, 01:13 AM
I am having trouble comprehinding some of the turms with this os what is controll centre and how do I find it I have looked over every visible thing in the treys and the desk top and have found nothing usefull

bob
14th October 2007, 01:17 AM
In Gnome: System > Preferences > Control Center

gthill
14th October 2007, 01:26 AM
I am having trouble comprehinding some of the turms with this os what is controll centre and how do I find it I have looked over every visible thing in the treys and the desk top and have found nothing usefull

For a Gnome setup:

system -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Removable Drives and Media

or via the command line

plug in camera and turn it on, now open a terminal and type
gthumb-import

this should give you the the photo downloader gui

If you don't have gthumb then install it with
su -
yum install gthumb

ladybluballs
14th October 2007, 01:40 AM
hi I did not have a control center untell I found a place to put a check mark I now have it but there is no peripherals nor anything at all about a camera

ladybluballs
14th October 2007, 02:02 AM
I tried all this it just tells me no camera detected, my camera connects to computer via serial port does it find the port its on or do I have to assign it manually from someplace

Wayne
14th October 2007, 02:34 AM
Probably the best thing you can do is go out and buy a USB card reader/adapter, take the SSFDC card out of the camera and transfer your pics that way.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_pressDetails.asp?pressNo=45

Wayne

Wayne
14th October 2007, 02:39 AM
Ya think?!

I just looked up the spec on that camera and it has no USB connection, just serial and a removal card. With Mac and Win software :(

Wayne

Dan
14th October 2007, 02:46 AM
Yeah. I posted a fix for that early in the game. But the OP wanted none of it.

Dan

Wayne
14th October 2007, 02:55 AM
Yeah. I posted a fix for that early in the game. But the OP wanted none of it.

Dan

The spec mentions a floppy disk adapter :eek: It's not quite as old as my camera though :D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_fd71.asp

Edit: I think I'm gonna lie down for a while, instead of hitting 'Quote' to your post I hit 'Edit'! :eek: Obviously had one too many brews last night!

Wayne

Dan
14th October 2007, 03:00 AM
My sister in-law has one of those cameras. (Olympus) In it's day I guess it was pretty hot stuff. But after having a few digital duels with it, I bought one of these, and have had nary a problem since then.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2227146&CatId=942

And it's got the side benefit of portabliity ... and it takes XD picture cards too.

Dan

EDIT: Ayup! Used the Mavica in the Dept. for IDs and scene documentation. I hate floppies!

D.

Wayne
14th October 2007, 03:12 AM
My sister in-law has one of those cameras. (Olympus) In it's day I guess it was pretty hot stuff. But after having a few digital duels with it, I bought one of these, and have had nary a problem since then.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2227146&CatId=942

And it's got the side benefit of portabliity ... and it takes XD picture cards too.

Dan

EDIT: Ayup! Used the Mavica in the Dept. for IDs and scene documentation. I hate floppies!

D.

I see that is both internal and external! I was thinking that when I ever get enough cash to build a new machine, I'd stick something like that in (along with a new DVD burner) then I'd be well covered!

I bought the Mavica because of the floppy disk. At the time I was using OS/2 and there was no way to get the serial based ones working with it. Now I'm embarrassed to take it out because of its size and age, although it still works and the battery holds its charge. I rarely take my Canon A200 out as it looks really old too! Sigh, being poor isn't all that it's cracked up to be :D

Wayne

Dan
14th October 2007, 03:38 AM
Sigh, being poor isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Man, ain't that the truth!

Well, Wayne, methinks we've managed to hijack another one. Shall we leave the lady to it?

Dan