PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing software for linux?

Gentoo Bob
13th October 2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone know if there is any video editing software for linux? I've just been looking at buying Pinnacle software for Windows so I can edit/burn to dvd the video from our DV camcorder. Didnt know if there was anything for linux like that. Would save me some money.

Thanks in advance.

Gnafu the Great
13th October 2007, 08:29 PM
Look into Kino, Cinelerra, and Avidemux. Kino and Avidemux should be available from the Livna repository, Cinelerra from the FreshRPMs (though you may want to look into the yum-protectbase plugin before enabling both repositories).

moujik
14th October 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Gnafu! I've installed cinelerra, hoping it's gonna be all that, but it turned out to be not as straight forward.
do you know of any comprehensive guides to it?
it also wants echo .... on every start up.

Gnafu the Great
14th October 2007, 05:29 PM
I would take a look at the contents of http://cv.cinelerra.org/. I haven't used it enough to give any advice from personal experience, but I know they have some guides on that site :).

Dies
14th October 2007, 06:28 PM
Anyone know if there is any video editing software for linux? I've just been looking at buying Pinnacle software for Windows so I can edit/burn to dvd the video from our DV camcorder. Didnt know if there was anything for linux like that. Would save me some money.

Thanks in advance.

O.K. I'll play devil's advocate, since no one else will.

Just grab the Pinnacle soft, not only is it great but you'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches. ;)

This is one area where Linux is sorely lacking in feature rich, easy to use apps.

rbo83
15th October 2007, 02:34 PM
You might want to check this site for a whole bunch of links that may help you do what you want. One of them is LIVES. However, if you decide to start doing video editing, you might want to invest the time in learning the terminology of the profession first. It is not generally trivial.

http://www.exploits.org/v4l/

Omnicloud
21st October 2007, 06:09 PM
agreed....I have a few Naruto Clips that I just want to combine together and I can't find a simple program that gets the job done.

Cinelerra has many features, but it's too complicated, especially since I don't really care about visual effects and tweaking..

I'm seeing if I can do this with Kino but it's taking forever just to import a CLIP!!!

Definitely need some eaiser programs for Linux man...

SuperNu
22nd October 2007, 01:52 AM
Omnicloud, I record some tv shows using MythTV. In order to edit out the commercials and splice video files together, I use Avidemux (http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/). I only care about removing commercials and fixing issues with the video, not fancy transitions. I tried Cinelerra, but found the UI to be terrible. I haven't tried LiVES for a while, but it looks promising and I am going to have to try it out again. When I did try LiVES, it wouldn't open files > 1gb and seemed to crash a lot.

--SN