PDA

View Full Version : Yumex Dependency choices

Cindy971
12th October 2007, 02:48 PM
When I select applicatons to install, Yumex also selects certain other files to install to satisfy dependency requiremetns. That seems reasonable.

But sometimes its selection of dependencies are things that clearly are not dependencies, such as unrelated applications. And sometimes the list is very long.

But when I select cancel, then process again, with the same applications selected, the list of dependencies is much shorter, or none at all.

Why is this ?

Were the first dependencies selected really necessary, and by pressing cancel I get an installation that is lacking needed dependencies ?

Or were they really not necessary after all ?

Would it be reasonable to alway cancel then re-process in order to skim off unnecessary dependencies ?

And the same thing happens when I remove applications. Sometimes the dependencies selected for removal are all of KIDE, or even more.

I really like Yumex. But I am very nervous about trusting it. Is Yumex generally trusted, or is there a precautionary note someplace I should read before using it ?

Cindy971
12th October 2007, 03:20 PM
OK, here is a fresh example. I just selected a few applications to update. That was Update, not install.
Yumex listed them, along with about three small files for dependencies, one of which was popt.

I went with it. The result was that Yumex found that the version of popt it was trying to install conflicted with an older version already installed, and stopped the process.

Now that wasn't me clicking cancel, that was Yumex that stopped. So I went to directly process again. This time there were no dependencies listed. Popt, which it felt was so important to install for dependencies, was suddenly no longer so important after all.

JN4OldSchool
12th October 2007, 03:23 PM
This is all a new one on me! Admittedly, I never expermented like you have, I just took it for granted that if yum is telling me it needs something for a dep it does. My advice is, if you dont want to bork your system then dont screw around, just install everything it says it needs, do not remove anything and keep it updated. After all, excess packages arent going to hurt anything unless you are running a PII with 128MB RAM. But, if you want to figure it out and learn something then by all means mess around, see what you come up with. Worst that can happen is you have to reinstall. :)

JN4OldSchool
12th October 2007, 03:25 PM
OK, here is a fresh example. I just selected a few applications to update. That was Update, not install.
Yumex listed them, along with about three small files for dependencies, one of which was popt.

I went with it. The result was that Yumex found that the version of popt it was trying to install conflicted with an older version already installed, and stopped the process.

Now that wasn't me clicking cancel, that was Yumex that stopped. So I went to directly process again. This time there were no dependencies listed. Popt, which it felt was so important to install for dependencies, was suddenly no longer so important after all.

Something iks wrong, that is not normal behaviour. What did you add as far as repos? Did you upgrade from a previous version? Are you checking and unchecking the testing repo in yumex?

Wayne
12th October 2007, 03:29 PM
Something iks wrong, that is not normal behaviour. What did you add as far as repos? Did you upgrade from a previous version? Are you checking and unchecking the testing repo in yumex?

Yeah, sounds like repo conflict to me too.

Wayne

Cindy971
12th October 2007, 03:52 PM

Hi JN4OldSchool. My repos are Fedora and Updates. That is it.
This is a fresh install, not an upgrade.
I am not checking or unchecking any repos.

And this is not they only machine this happens on.

And for accpting whatever it suggests for dependencies, I once lost a whole installation by doing that. I asked it to remove a half dozen applications, and it came up with a list of dependencies to be removed totaling 608 MB, in a list that filled the screen many times. At that time I just trusted its judgement. Once it was done the installation wad destroyed.

So no one here has any distrust of Yumex ?

I really thought that if a file was needed as a dependency, that it could not install without it.

But after canceling and getting a much shorter list, or no dependency list, it installs just fine.

So is it possible to install without required dependencies ?

Cindy971
12th October 2007, 03:58 PM
I just asked it to update all the system-config- aps.

When it processed the queue it listed all but two of them to be updated, and listed two files to be updated for dependencies. The two files to be updated ofr dependencies were THE TWO that it failed to list as to be simply updated.

So I clicked cancel, then process queue again.

This time those to were placed in the top list, to be simply updated, not updated for dependencies.

Any thoughts ?

JN4OldSchool
12th October 2007, 04:29 PM
not really :confused: All I can say is in the two plus years I have been on Fedora this issue has never come up. It is not a good idea to remove applications that were installed with the base install unless you know for certain what you are doing. This may be the root of your problems. I go back to my first post, if you need a stable system then dont mess around. If it is a learning experience then dont be afraid to dig in and try and figure this one out. All I can suggest to "fix" it is to boot the install DVD and do an "upgrade." This will run you through the install but wont change anything already on your system. It will not substitute old ISO packages for updated packages already on your drive. But it will replace anything that you might have accidentally removed. That would be the place to start anyway.