PDA

View Full Version : Mouse-Over menus displayed behind Flash objects in Firefox

erroneus
12th October 2007, 02:24 AM
Whenever a web page has some flash on it and also has those mouseover menus, I find that the flash stays on top hiding all or part of the menus. I can use adblock or some other blocker to get around this, but it also destroys the intended web experience.

Does anyone know of a correct fix for this? Is this a problem that Adobe should be addressing? Or is this a Linux/Firefox issue?

Iron_Mike
12th October 2007, 02:30 AM
Or it might be the web page designer......

erroneus
12th October 2007, 06:40 AM
Can you show me an example of where this scenario works?

adrianx
19th December 2007, 02:35 PM
I have this problem too (not in IE6 though).

This is another example of what happens when MS allows web developers to deviate from standards and logic.

The only solution, for me, is to use ie6 with Wine to browse those sites. One of the sites I came across even had the cheek to claim that it was designed for IE5+, Netscape, Firefox, etc. Ha - don't they test their own stuff. :mad:

sideways
19th December 2007, 03:12 PM
This bug has been around for a while. There's also a problem with mouseover events.

I think Adobe/Macromedia and Mozilla won't cooperate and agree whose fault it is. Unfortunately since Flash is closed-source the community can't fix it.

adrianx
19th December 2007, 03:21 PM
This bug has been around for a while. There's also a problem with mouseover events.

I think Adobe/Macromedia and Mozilla won't cooperate and agree whose fault it is. Unfortunately since Flash is closed-source the community can't fix it.

Oh? I've jumped to conclusions again! Didn't realise it was a bug. It's just that I'm so used to IE being "nice and user-friendly" and fault tolerant to the point where it defies logic. I don't like that very much. I swing towards strict XHtml and XML - if you know what I mean... :)

sideways
19th December 2007, 03:40 PM
google "wmode flash linux" for many postings about the "bug"

I wasn't annoyed at first since they fixed the audio/video sync problem when flash beta 9 for linux was released, but geez, it's been quite a few months now :(

sideways
19th December 2007, 03:53 PM
A 5 year discussion about the "bug"

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=137189

Apparently Firefox 3 has a fix

adrianx
19th December 2007, 04:08 PM
I've filed a bug report with Adobe - now let me get my mum, dad, uncle, aunt, dog, cat, etc. to file a few bug reports with Mozilla. It will probably not help, but hopefully someone, somewhere will get the message.

P.S. I would have to have a seance to summon some of those family members - let me try... :D Or I could just wait for Firefox3 and avoid those "Flashy" sites.

erroneus
19th December 2007, 04:30 PM
I think it's important to note that I do not necessarily have that problem with Firefox under Windows... just under Linux.

Let's hope FF3 will fix it.

halmsx
20th December 2007, 02:42 PM
hi

this is what im on..

F8
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121016 Firefox/3.0b2
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

i guess the wmode problem still exist. i tried the adobe.com's website and also http://www.skateboardermag.com, you'll see the menus are still behind the flash movie.

:(

sideways
20th December 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, in the bugzilla discussion I linked to above they point out that Adobe need to make a change to enable the fix to work..

Martijn Wargers writes (11 Dec 2007)

It's fixed on trunk, which means the fix will be in Firefox 3.
The fix is not on branch, which means the fix is not in Firefox 2.
... Adobe [need] to update their plugin to make use of
the new windowless plug-in support on Linux, so it might not be there yet, to
be able to see.

So we'll just have to wait I guess (hopefully not another 5 years)

sarbian
20th December 2007, 07:06 PM
No need to wait Adobe implemented a fix a few version ago. Now the browser need to use the fix ....