PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Backup My System?

Eric54
11th October 2007, 08:38 PM
I use the backup program fwbackups to backup my home folder to an external hard drive but have not figured out how to backup the operating system, address book and my bookmarks in the browser. I would also like to learn how to make my external hard drive secure so that if it was stolen the information stored on the external drive could not be read.
My system information...
Gateway Desktop
P4 3.0 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
OS - Fedora 7

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Eric :cool:

daverj
11th October 2007, 08:50 PM
first, to backup your bookmarks (assumes firefox):
from the bookmarks menu item choose "organize bookmarks"
from the bookmarks manager window that opens, choose file, then export.
this will save them to a file that you can later import.

second, what address book are you referring to?

third, unless you are compiling your own kernel, why would you want to backup your OS? If your system craches, just reinstall the os. It should be the same as the one you currently have (if you have the most current kernel).

By the way, if you are backing up your home directory, you are already backing up your firefox bookmarks and probably your address book also.

davidj

ppesci
11th October 2007, 09:09 PM
Address book and bookmarks probably already in your home folder. All depends what software you use as browser and personal data managers. Check out.

You can in the external drive, use zip to compress and encrypt your data.

HTH

Gnafu the Great
11th October 2007, 10:18 PM
Also check out Clonezilla, which can be obtained in live CD form and allows you to back up an entire drive (partition information and all). I backup my laptop like this once a week in case something were to happen to the hard drive and I'd want to quickly restore everything onto a new drive (I don't trust laptop hard drives).

Eric54
12th October 2007, 07:20 PM
My browser is Firefox 2.0.0.7 and my e-mail program is Evolution. The address book I want to backup is in my e-mail program. I have already backed up my bookmarks. Thanks for the advice it worked great. I think I will try the program mentioned Clonezilla as I would like to backup my OS so that if my computer ever crashes I do not lose all the updates and programs that I have added since I installed Fedora 7 on this PC. What about security? I don't think a Windows computer can see my external hard drive as it is formated for Linux not Windows. I tried reading my external hard drive with a Windows XP system and could see nothing so maybe it is secure enough already.
Thank You all for the great advice!

linux_paul
12th October 2007, 07:40 PM
I've never used fwbackups, I use rsnapshot.

For full system backups I've always used mondorescue, http://mondorescue.org/. Been running it weekly to image the entire system in case of HD failure (which happened again recently). And restoring is a snap.

For Firefox settings I use the FEBE extension, which will backup things like installed extensions, cookies, themes, bookmarks, etc... It can also be scheduled.

Don't rely on the ext2 (or 3) filesystem as your sole security measure for the external drive. See http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ .

Eric54
12th October 2007, 08:02 PM
I see your point about not relying on disk format for security. Is there a way to password protect the external hard drive?
Eric :eek:

tmick
13th October 2007, 12:09 AM
For your back up of firefox do everything in your/home/username/ ./firefox directory. There is a section in the Mozilla support page that advises you how to move your old profile to a new profile, should be the same thing as doing a complete back up. In the Evolution home page in the FAQ section there is an article on how to completely back up everything from Evolution and the paths to those files. If you are talking backing up everything on your computer then just put "/" in the screen where Firewing's backup asks what directories you want backed up.
Also Fedora 7 has PC Backup as part of the basic install and it does a full back up to any device and the home page for that program has a superb how to configure/ use the program.

Eric54
17th October 2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the great information. I will be sure to use it.
Eric :)

SirLurkalot
21st June 2008, 02:08 PM
For full system backups I've always used mondorescue, http://mondorescue.org/. Been running it weekly to image the entire system in case of HD failure (which happened again recently). And restoring is a snap.

I had been using Mondo and had great confidence in it until I tried to do a restore recently and it failed. Are you happy it can deal with LVM satisfactorily. Which Fedora build were you using when you had the last success. I'm presently using 8 and would love to go back to Mondo but have been trying to find something equally straightforward to use but without success. What I REALLY would like is something intuitive like Drive Image but Acronis Linux is $699 !!!

tmick
21st June 2008, 05:07 PM
Try the PC Back up program, it's included in your Fedora Distro and works very well (even backs up MS) .

SirLurkalot
21st June 2008, 06:14 PM
Try the PC Back up program, it's included in your Fedora Distro and works very well (even backs up MS) .

Hi
PC Back up sounds just the job but where is it ? I only have a couple of Fedora 8 Gnome Live CDs. It's not on them and the only menu option appears to be File Roller which I guess is more of a file archiver. Thanks for the help.

tmick
21st June 2008, 06:42 PM
Do you have Yumex installed?
If you do launch it and choose installed and see if it is in that list.
If not run 'yum -y install yumex' and after it is installed launch Yum Extender (yumex) and choose available then put a check next to it and select process queue.
It should be installed and then follow the directions on the Backup PC home page for set up.

tmick
21st June 2008, 06:59 PM
Might try this URL after you get it installed: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

Agent Chaos
22nd June 2008, 01:21 AM
I use the backup program fwbackups to backup my home folder to an external hard drive but have not figured out how to backup the operating system, address book and my bookmarks in the browser. I would also like to learn how to make my external hard drive secure so that if it was stolen the information stored on the external drive could not be read.
My system information...
Gateway Desktop
P4 3.0 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
OS - Fedora 7

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric54-

If you are backing up your /home/{username} directory, you should get all the important info such as personal settings for applications, bookmarks, emails, documents, etc. Also, incase of a meltdown, you may want to issue the command: yum list installed > installed_packages.txt. This will put the output of the command "yum list installed" into a text file called "installed_packages.txt". You can then read it, and know what packages you have installed, so getting your computer back to normal won't take long. I also have created script files using "rsync -av --delete /home/{username} /{destination}" This creates a mirror of what is in your /home/{username} directory and only updates file changes to the destination directory. The first time through takes a while, but after that, it's quick and painless.

-Agent Chaos

SirLurkalot
22nd June 2008, 01:30 PM
Might try this URL after you get it installed: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

Thanks for the instructions and the pointer to the documentation. I have it installed now and am embarking on the inevitable Linux learning curve !

Cheers