PDA

View Full Version : Boot Error due to Bad fstab file

pfhart
11th October 2007, 04:54 PM
I recently upgraded to FC7. Everything was running perfectly, But after making some changes to the fstab file (I wanted to mount two directories located on another PC 90.0.0106), I received the following message on boot:

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open 90.0.0.106/FDS
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open 90.0.0.106/FDS2
[Failed]
*** An error occured during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell

Give root password for maintenance
(or type control-D for normal startup):

I provide the root pwd and get to the shell. I can navigate to the fstab file, however, I cannot edit out what I believe are the bad entries causing the problem due to the fact that the file is read only. I tried to change the files permissions but could not.

Does have a solution?

Loosing my hair fast. Please help.

stevea
11th October 2007, 05:57 PM
You can't mount ext2 or ext3 over a network. You need to share and mount those ans NFS or Samba (ar AFS or GFS or ....).

Boot the distro DVD in rescue mode and edit the file.

pfhart
11th October 2007, 06:19 PM
The rescue CD provides three boot options boot using existing file structure, read only or skip. If I boot using existing file structure it uses the bad fstab file and errors out as describe above. Since I need to modify the file, I select skip. This takes me to a sh-3.2# shell. I am able to mount one partition (sdb1) that contains grub but I cannot mount sdb2 that has the fstab file.

I enter "mount -o rw /dev/sdb2 /Mountlocation"

I then get an error "Mounting device /dev/sdb2 on Mountlocation failed: Invalid arguement.

Any ideas?

stevea
11th October 2007, 06:45 PM
I assume the reason you cannot edit the fstab when you boot the hd is that / (root) is mounted read-only.

Boot the system in single user more (interrupt grub and add a " 1" to the end of the kernel line.
Then when it boots you get a "# " root shell prompt at a text screen.

Then SEE how root is mounted with the "mount" command.
If necessary remount it read-write like this ...
"mount -o remount,rw /"

Then edit the /etc/fstab.

pfhart
11th October 2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think that would work. I ended up loading the FC7 LiveCD and choosing the load into RAM option. I was then able to mount the necessary partition in RAM and modify the fstab.

MAJOR TAKEAWAY - Make sure your fstab entries are CORRECT.