PDA

View Full Version : i want byrel where can i get it

ionracing
10th October 2007, 07:10 PM
I have fedora 7 with a nvidia 6200 video card. It is up and running fine. I want to put byrel on it. Where can i get it and how do i install it?

leigh123linux
10th October 2007, 07:11 PM
If you mean beryl try

su
yum install beryl

ionracing
10th October 2007, 07:21 PM
um ok i did that and it downloaded and installed ok. i then rebooted and now what how what

leigh123linux
10th October 2007, 07:24 PM
um ok i did that and it downloaded and installed ok. i then rebooted and now what how what

look in the menu for beryl-manager

ionracing
10th October 2007, 07:29 PM
sorry i found it before you replied. Ok the one thing i want is the 3d cude desktop that goes back in the screen. where is the option for that or atleast what is it called in the menu

leigh123linux
10th October 2007, 07:45 PM
sorry i found it before you replied. Ok the one thing i want is the 3d cude desktop that goes back in the screen. where is the option for that or atleast what is it called in the menu

try

Ctrl + Alt + left button mouse

I think it's called 3d cube in the menu

ionracing
10th October 2007, 09:28 PM
nice works good thanks for all the help this is much better the f6 so far. WHEN ARE THERE GOING TO BE CLICK AND INSTALL FILES. THE INSTALLING OF PROGRAMS IN LINUX IS WHAT KEEPS PEOPLE FROM USING IT

leigh123linux
10th October 2007, 09:45 PM
nice works good thanks for all the help this is much better the f6 so far. WHEN ARE THERE GOING TO BE CLICK AND INSTALL FILES. THE INSTALLING OF PROGRAMS IN LINUX IS WHAT KEEPS PEOPLE FROM USING IT

You can , try downloading a rpm package to your desktop and double click on it !!

JN4OldSchool
10th October 2007, 10:00 PM

The installing of programs in fedora is actually EASIER than in Windows products! :) It is all point and click. You dont even have to shop around for freeware stuff. Just open a terminal, su to root and type "yum install yumex" then add the livna repo and presto! One stop shopping for all your software needs. EVERYTHING is in one place, just open yumex, clicl on what you want to install and click "process que" and you're done! That's it! Then, every couple days open yumex and it will open with everything you need to update, everything on your computer. All software (that was installed via RPM and is in the yum repos anyway) along with the OS. Windows cant do that. Windows is foolishness. Not to mention very unsafe. All packages in the repos are safe.

So what happens that 1 time out of 100 when you cant find what you need in the repos? Do as Leigh suggests, just DL the RPM to your desktop and click on it! :) But you should actually try compiling something sometime just for giggles. It is actually very easy. Dont let this Linux stuff scare you, an average pre-teen can do it.

Dan
10th October 2007, 10:08 PM
Hmmm.

Ok. Try: (in Gnome) Find the top menu. Click "Applications," then click, "Add/Remove Programs."

Then select what you want, and check mark it. Then click Apply.

I know it's tough, but persevere! <..:p..>

Dan

EDIT: All kidding aside, JN4 has you covered. Yum install yumex It's easier, and pretty much "point and click."

D.

ionracing
11th October 2007, 12:48 AM
the fedora os installs are easy i am talking about lets say installing flash player. That is the one reason i always get from people on why they do not use linux

JN4OldSchool
11th October 2007, 12:58 AM
rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-1.0-0.noarch.rpm
yum install flash-plugin

err, yeah, real diffucult. I can see where that would stump someone... :rolleyes:

edit: OK, just so I dont seem like such a big jerk, I will admit you have a point in that a person needs to be directed to an install guide and they need to install a couple repos. This is a copy and paste operation that couldnt be simpler. After the repo is installed they wouldnt even have to stay on the terminal though, just open yumex:

leadgolem
11th October 2007, 01:05 AM
nice works good thanks for all the help this is much better the f6 so far. WHEN ARE THERE GOING TO BE CLICK AND INSTALL FILES. THE INSTALLING OF PROGRAMS IN LINUX IS WHAT KEEPS PEOPLE FROM USING ITI believe this comment illustrates nicely that windows users equate "command-line" with "difficult/confusing".

JN4OldSchool
11th October 2007, 01:09 AM
I believe this comment illustrates nicely that windows users equate "command-line" with "difficult/confusing".

And really, this is the saddest part of it all. What could be simpler than copying commands off a web page and pasting them in a terminal and hitting enter? For real, that is so much more straightforward than trying to figure out which .exe you need to download, praying it has an installer and that it works and never really knowing how much adware/viruses are hidden inside. I mean, by the time you open yumex, scroll through all those packages, move the mouse around a few times, you could simply type "yum install whatever..." and be done with it. It is all just a state of mind...

ionracing
11th October 2007, 01:09 AM
again i am a network engineering student and have Linux1 this term. I am kinda familar with linux and am talking about others(window users) not me. Sometimes though it is still odd for me at times

leadgolem
11th October 2007, 01:14 AM
I didn't mean that to be offensive, or to apply to all windows users.

Command-line operations are often simpler/faster then the same action in a gui. However, you do need to know what you want. A gui lets you look over the options and decide what you want.

ionracing
11th October 2007, 01:45 AM
i understand my question was is Linux ever going to go to that format so they can expand their market share in OS for the common user

Dan
11th October 2007, 01:53 AM
Sometimes ... I hope not.