PDA

View Full Version : root can't open /proc

jrmotr
8th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Forum,

I have just re-installed Fedora 7 and the updates, logged in as 'root' and STILL can't get into the directory /proc. The window just stays at 'Loading' - there are no error messages.

If I log in as a standard user, /proc opens no problem but, of course, no editing - I need access to ip_forward.

There is an entry in FSTAB for 'proc' and I have disabled SELinux.

How do I get into the directory ?

Many thanks.

markkuk
8th October 2007, 01:49 PM
What window stays at "Loading"? You must change values in /proc from command line, e.g.
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward or with the sysctl command. If you want to make permanent changes, edit the configuration file /etc/sysctl.conf.

jrmotr
8th October 2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Markkuk - thank you for the quick reply.

I have the file system set to display in list mode - when I open 'file system' and click on /proc to open the directory, it 'opens' 1 line and says 'Loading'.
It just sits there saying 'Loading' but it never 'opens up' to display directory contents.

I thought I'd be able to make changes with gEdit. Strange how I can open 'ip_forward' with gEdit in 'user' mode although, understably, I can't save changes.

Anyway, I changed the entry in 'sysctl.conf' and that's 'sysctl -p' reporting the correct value now.
(however, when I look at /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward, it still says 0 (zero) bytes for file size - strange)

BTW, this problem (getting 'ip_forward' set to '1') was a small detour from a real headache I'm having setting up a 2nd NIC (eth1) in Fedora 7. The problem is logged at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=168427.

Thanks anyway for your speedy assistance

stevea
8th October 2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, that's strange behavior. The nautilus process is apparently in a loop reading some sort of update info from a pipe (dbus?).

Use a terminal screen "ls -l /proc" and move on. Some sort of strange gnome behavior there.

FriedChips
8th October 2007, 02:35 PM
try this
su -
gedit /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

jrmotr
8th October 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys............

Stevea................
it definitely is in a loop or waiting for something - it's not hung because there's no problem 'coming out of it'.

Should I report it to Gnome ?

Fried chips............
Have tried that one - I get the following..............

[jrm@lnx ~]$ su
Password:
[root@lnx jrm]# cd /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
[root@lnx ipv4]# gedit ip_forward

(gedit:20138): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

** (gedit:20138): WARNING **: Hit unhandled case 4 (Invalid parameters) in gedit_unrecoverable_saving_error_message_area_new.
[root@lnx ipv4]#

The first gEdit warning is when I 'open' the file - the second comes when I try to save it.

Main thing is I've managed to set the 'ip_forward' flag.

Would love it if any of you guys could give any pointers on thread 168427 !!
( http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=168427 ).

Many thanks for your contributions

markkuk
8th October 2007, 02:57 PM
Entries in /proc aren't real files, don't try to access them with text editors.

jrmotr
8th October 2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks Markkuk - it can sometimes take a lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears to find out info. like that !

FriedChips
8th October 2007, 04:20 PM
Learn something new everyday ;)

jrmotr
8th October 2007, 05:00 PM
If Linux is going to be a success, this is not the way to learn the finer points of configuring / administering PCs.

There has to be a formal method of getting specific information / assistance otherwise Linux on PCs is going to remain as a 'hobbyists' OS.

Of course it requires money to run something like that but I don't see paying for support as against the 'spirit' of Open Software.

Linux users (myself included !) could pay a flat 10 for the first year and a fiver every year after that for using Linux - the money could be divvied up by some governing body so that experts who provide support can be paid for their time. Not just support of course but development, hosting etc.. Easier said than done, I know, but the general public don't appreciate (or find suspicious) something for nothing.

Or am I spouting heresy ?

JN4OldSchool
8th October 2007, 05:07 PM
If Linux is going to be a success, this is not the way to learn the finer points of configuring / administering PCs.

Got my hackles up!

Linux users (myself included !) could pay a flat 10 for the first year and a fiver every year after that for using Linux - the money could be divvied up by some governing body so that experts who provide support can be paid for their time. Not just support of course but development, hosting etc.. Easier said than done, I know, but the general public don't appreciate (or find suspicious) something for nothing.

Or am I spouting heresy ?

Till I read this. Actually, you are quite right. I agree that if Linux wants to become a "commercial" success, go beyond a "hobbyist" distro and seriously challenge Apple let alone MS, become an OS for the masses...then yep. This is how it will need to go. Yearly subscription, one time fee with 5 years worth of upgrades, whatever...The software can remain open and free, you are just selling the support. Of course it is already in place on a smaller scale, but a mainstream distro needs to corner this market.

Yep, agreed fully, not heresy at all...I am just not sure I want to see this happen...

FriedChips
8th October 2007, 05:10 PM
I don't mind being a hobbyist... If you want to pay for linux support be my guest, mind you it is not cheap. Look at Red Hat, I think its about $1499 a year or something. Linux is not "going" to be a success, Linux "is" a success my friend. I find that the community here is quite helpful, and if I'm not mistaken we did get you where you needed to go right. I learned something for having listened to what was going on. The community IMHO is the best place to give and get support. Documentation is something that Linux lacks, mostly because we spend so much time making it what it is that we forget to document what we made it into. Would you say that Windows is well documented? Would you say that Windows has good community support? My humble opinion is no on both of those.... You know how to do stuff you need to do because you've done it and you've done it with the same tools ( for the most part ) for years.. Try linux for a year or so and see if you are ready to go back. I'm not :cool:

markkuk
8th October 2007, 09:45 PM
There has to be a formal method of getting specific information / assistance otherwise Linux on PCs is going to remain as a 'hobbyists' OS.
Of course, that's why there are distributions with commercial support like Red Hat Enterprise Linux (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/) or SUSE Linux Enterprise (http://www.novell.com/linux/).
If you choose to use a community-supported distribution such as Fedora, you should be ready to live with the level of support that's available from the user community.