PDA

View Full Version : Remotely Administration Software

bghayad
7th October 2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Forum;

I am using Fedora and need to do remotely administration on the server, so what the suggested software to be used and how I can get it and install it?

What about VNC? How can I get it and install it?

Regards
Bilal

stevea
7th October 2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, you can use VNC, but I think you'll find ssh is completely sufficient.

If they are on the local lan and security is not a huge issue look into gdmsetup and xdmcp - let's
you choose the system at login.
If you are serious about admining a lot of systems look into the 'cobbler' package.

bghayad
7th October 2007, 06:48 PM
Yes, you can use VNC, but I think you'll find ssh is completely sufficient.

If they are on the local lan and security is not a huge issue look into gdmsetup and xdmcp - let's
you choose the system at login.
If you are serious about admining a lot of systems look into the 'cobbler' package.
Thanks a lot for your kindly reply.
But my client machine will be windows XP and from it will login for Fedora server, so ssh will work fine?
How can I obtain ssh and the software u mentioned it (from where to download it)?
Regards
Bilal

stevea
7th October 2007, 07:09 PM
Well you can still use ssh, but you'd need to install the cygwin sshd service on Windowns and then you'd have only the command line interface.

Yes - for admin'ing a Windows system remotely VNC will work.
Also look and see if the 'rdesktop' package will solve your problem.

bghayad
7th October 2007, 07:39 PM
I will try cobbler and rdesktop, then I will decide. But I am still not able to know how to download these packegs? What command to use it? I am not friendly withat this issue .. maybe it is related to repository ...

Regards
Bilal

bghayad
27th October 2007, 06:43 PM
I have tried VNC, I enabled the remotely service on the fedora core 5, and I was able to login from my windows XP using VNC viewer (client), but the problem that when I do restart for the fedora, then I can not use VNC until the server login, what shall I do if no one was existed close to the server to do login?
In windows, I can use VNC even if the windows did not login, as the VNC server service lunched during the windows loading and no need to login for the system.
Any help?

Zotter
27th October 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks a lot for your kindly reply.
But my client machine will be windows XP and from it will login for Fedora server, so ssh will work fine?
How can I obtain ssh and the software u mentioned it (from where to download it)?
Regards
Bilal

Yes - SSH will work fine if: Linux is the server being administered, XP is the client logging into the server. You'll just need to download Putty for Windows - it provides a nice SSH client.

NOTE: without some kind of X server on the XP box, you won't be able to use GUI tools. CLI only.

You can get putty from: http://www.putty.nl/

If you're wanting to administer an XP server from a Linux Machine, just use the terminal services client on Linux and connect via RDP to the XP server.

bghayad
27th October 2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks a lot.
What is the needed X Server on the XP box to be able to use the GUI?
If you are talking about VNC to be used at windows xp, I tried it, but I faced the problem that when I restarted the Fedora server (fedora core 5), then I can not use VNC until the Fedora log in, so how can I resolve this problem as no one will be at the server side to type the needed credentials to login from Fedora, so any help?
I was think if there is an tool to be used with putty to be able to login and use the GUI (not only the CLI), can u advise?
About logging from linux to windows xp, how can I use RDP?
Regards
Bilal

bradchaus
28th October 2007, 02:15 AM
you could try webmin for a nice web based admin

http://www.webmin.com