PDA

View Full Version : Console as background with devilspie

forkbomb
7th October 2007, 07:05 AM
I've been poking around trying to find a way to adapt the following...

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-create-a-transparent-terminal-session-as-your-desktop-background.html

... to Fedora with Fluxbox.

There seems to be a problem with that guide, too - I'd like the same trasnparent console to appear on all workspaces in fluxbox - it appears that one is forced to a single workspace based on the file created in the ~/.devilspie directory. I've looked around and can't find much.

Is there an easy way to have a transparent terminal window (of whatever console type - I prefer Konsole, but whatever) created upon launching Fluxbox (I assume something will have to go in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file) that appears and is updated on all workspaces? Basically, I just want a functional console wherever I go. I'd also prefer if the console didn't take up space in the taskbar, but I could deal with it either way.

I use Fluxbox on top of my KDE install of Fedora 7 (I don't understand the allure of GNOME). If there's a way to do it without devilspie, that's fine too. :)

The_Jaymz
7th October 2007, 07:20 AM
I read somewhere that it can be done with compiz-fusion. I think it was on digg, or maybe lifehacker. You might try searching on those sites if you don't get an answer here.

forkbomb
9th October 2007, 05:51 AM
Being a window manager, I don't think Compiz Fusion can be used in conjunction with Fluxbox.

Belive me, if I could put Fluxbox on a cube, I'd never leave the house! :)