PDA

View Full Version : Can't get into root

vbmark
4th May 2004, 12:51 PM
My root account seems to be broken. When I try to login from the logon screen as root, Fedora shows the icons of things it's loading then gets to a point where it says Nautilis and just sits there. If I click on the screen the everything disapears and I'm just looking at a blank screen.

What can I do about this?

Thanks!

mcastel
4th May 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by vbmark
My root account seems to be broken. When I try to login from the logon screen as root, Fedora shows the icons of things it's loading then gets to a point where it says Nautilis and just sits there. If I click on the screen the everything disapears and I'm just looking at a blank screen.

What can I do about this?

Thanks!

Did you try to login as a "normal" user and that give the "su" command? Can you login as "root" in this way, and move across the filesystem?

Greetings,

Marco C.

vbmark
4th May 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by mcastel
Did you try to login as a "normal" user and that give the "su" command? Can you login as "root" in this way, and move across the filesystem?

Sorry I faild to mention that. Yes, I can su to "root" in a shell as a normal user, I just can't login from the login screen as root anymore.

ghaefb
4th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Are you using Gnome window manager for root and for normal user account?
I had a problem when I installed Nvidia graphic driver on my box. I couldn't run gnome anymore.
I'm using fluxbox, so I don't bother

vbmark
4th May 2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ghaefb
Are you using Gnome window manager for root and for normal user account?
I had a problem when I installed Nvidia graphic driver on my box. I couldn't run gnome anymore.
I'm using fluxbox, so I don't bother

I tried both Gnome and KDE when logging in as root and it didn't matter. I could get in with the "failsafe terminal" though.