PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Theme on Fedora 7

nishi57
27th September 2007, 04:40 PM
I am trying to install a MAC OS X theme on my Fedora 7 machine, the download gives instructions on where to extract the files. However when I try to extract them I get the following message "Extraction Not Performed" "You don't have the right permission to extract archives in the folder "/usr/share/themes". Has any one else come across a similar issue??

Dan
27th September 2007, 04:57 PM
Not exactly, but try this.

Download or move the theme file (as downloaded) to your desktop. (As a tarball or compressed file. Do not extract it.) Then open the themes dialog from the System>Preferences>Look & Feel>Theme menu item, then just drag the downloaded file over the top of the dialog box, and drop it. Gnome will take it from there,

Dan

RJFUatHOME
27th September 2007, 05:59 PM
I've used the drag and drop approach to installing themes and it does usually work well. I have encountered many situations though when the entire features of the theme simply weren't installed correctly by the theme manager when drag and dropped or when added with the Install Theme... button.

Sometimes if you extract the theme archive and simply drag and drop the entire extracted folder into the hidden ".themes" folder in the user account, many more of the features become available.

I don't know why this happens, but I've often been amazed on what I was missing in the theme, but not just sticking it into the ".themes" folder manually and then using the theme manager window to apply it.

ENDI1111
27th September 2007, 06:17 PM
OK so when I was able to finally finalize a systems update and I reboot my system. Everything boots OK except the HID control channel....[failed]...is what it say. So when it gets to my root login all this weird jargon keeps coming up while I am trying to login....I am eventually able to login and to execute "startx" as well. Any one got some ideas on this...? I am also still needing some assistance on trying to get this damned wireless on my laptop up and going somehow. HP pavillion dv6000 w/ broadcom 1390 wireless minu pci card?

Dan
27th September 2007, 06:26 PM
OK so when I was able to finally finalize a systems update and I reboot my system. Everything boots OK except the HID control channel....[failed]...is what it say. So when it gets to my root login all this weird jargon keeps coming up while I am trying to login....I am eventually able to login and to execute "startx" as well. Any one got some ideas on this...? I am also still needing some assistance on trying to get this damned wireless on my laptop up and going somehow. HP pavillion dv6000 w/ broadcom 1390 wireless minu pci card? Hmmm.

I think you typed this into the wrong box! <..:p..> It posted to the wrong forum?

If not, Then you need to start a thread of your own rather than hijacking this one! <..:D..>

Dan