PDA

View Full Version : Creating desktop when logged in using ssx -X

soodvarun
27th September 2007, 05:26 AM
Hi,
I always do ssh -X to the server and launch the application (using Xming) which have GUI in them. I wanted to create a small script with help of someone who has good knowledge of Linux.
Currently I type nautilus at the promp and I get my desktop and similarly for other applications like firefox, etc.
I was wondering if it is possible to create a desktop inside a frame with panels, workspaces and menu of the OS along with the desktop in some kind of container.
In simple words I want to create a desktop remotely which looks as if its the same desktop if I was loggedin locally.
I cant' use VNC so please tell me what series of commands can be executed to make such desktop.

Will be very thankful for your replies.

cazo
27th September 2007, 11:27 AM
If you enable xdmcp (and allow tcp connections) on gnome or kde, you should be able to access your Linux box that way.

Then, when you launch Xming, add a '-query serverbox' (or '-broadcast') to the Xmingrc.

It's been awhile since I've tried it, so I don't recall all the details, but I found the info on the Xming website.

You should also read the XDMCP HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/XDMCP-HOWTO/) and this thread (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76096).

soodvarun
28th September 2007, 05:01 PM
Hi Cazo,
Thanks for your reply. I dont' think there is XDMCP installed(perhaps due to security reasons) on the server and there is no way for me to get it installed since its not my server.
But as I believe that everything in Linux is just a process so is it possible that that we can create a desktop when we are logged in to a server with ssh -X ?

icydog
28th September 2007, 08:00 PM
Although it's not your server, it sounds like you have enough access to install VNC, since it runs as user and not root. You can tunnel that over SSH.

soodvarun
11th October 2007, 01:02 AM
I doultn' install Tight VncServer. It asked for root password. I have GAM server installed.. I dono wt is it though...
Do you know how to create a panel or taksbar or workspace or especially the menu launcher? I mean their commands?