PDA

View Full Version : Need a good picture viewer in linux...!

rivalslayer
26th September 2007, 07:17 AM
I am a newbie in linux running F7. I need a good picture viewer in Linux. Can you suggest one, like ACDSee or Picasa, with which I can also make some changes in Exposure and color levels. Can GIMP do that? If yes, then how? Plz help.

:confused:

Wayne
26th September 2007, 08:21 AM
yum install f-spot (for Gnome) Dunno what's available for the other DE.

Picassa is available for Linux but it's not native but includes WINE libraries to run. not all functions are implemented though and personally, I think it looks ugly running in Linux.

If you install f-spot, you can update it to the latest version by temporarily enabling the development repos:

yum --enablerepo=development update f-spot

It has no dependencies so it's easy to update. I wouldn't try to update anything else though.

Wayne

Dangermouse
26th September 2007, 08:23 AM
Picaso works well in Fedora as well

su
wget https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/google-repo-setup.sh
bash google-repo-setup.sh
yum -y install picasa

hermouche
26th September 2007, 09:02 AM
Just to add some more:

Kuickshow works under Fedora7
showFoto
KView

red

gthill
26th September 2007, 12:22 PM
I am a newbie in linux running F7. I need a good picture viewer in Linux. Can you suggest one, like ACDSee or Picasa, with which I can also make some changes in Exposure and color levels. Can GIMP do that? If yes, then how? Plz help.

:confused:

gthumb is the default picture viewer/photo manager for f7 gnome desktop. It can also make changes to exposure and color levels. You will find the choices under images in the menu. Gimp can also do that and much more.

If you have the default gnome desktop you will find it under
applications -> graphics -> gthumb

Wayne
26th September 2007, 01:47 PM
That can also be update from development with no dependency problems. Latest version has 'fix red-eye' option :)

yum --enablerepo=development update gthumb

Wayne

hermouche
26th September 2007, 02:26 PM
That can also be update from development with no dependency problems. Latest version has 'fix red-eye' option :)

Wayne

Hy Wayne,

You used the following code and it works very well though:

So i wanted to understand themeaning of "--enablerepo=development " within the "man yum" unfortunately it is not there. i found --enablerepo=repoidglob and --disablerepo=repoidglob.

Could please tell me where i can find/read this option?

It is better to know and apply things than just apply them like this. In my case if i don't understand i will not be able to remember but the other way yes.

Thank

red

Wayne
26th September 2007, 02:35 PM
It's simple, it's '--enablerepo=put name of repo here' In this case I'm using the development repo for Fedora 8. Check 'man yum'

Wayne

Neb
26th September 2007, 02:47 PM
Gwenview is a nice pic viewer imo.
It's in the repos

hermouche
26th September 2007, 03:12 PM
It's simple, it's '--enablerepo=put name of repo here' In this case I'm using the development repo for Fedora 8. Check 'man yum'

Wayne

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Within man yum in fedora 7 i didn't see this option that's why i asked. In fact i didn't understand the
--enablerepo=repoidglob, but now it's clear, we 've got three options: repo or id or glob

Anyway many Thanks Wayne.

red :)

icydog
26th September 2007, 06:12 PM
The KDE photo album manager/touchup application is digikam. I use it for my photos and I like it a lot.

RJFUatHOME
26th September 2007, 08:08 PM
I second gthumb from the dev repos. Plus for simple shadow and light level editing check out fotox (search on google or at gnomefiles.org). It's not in the repos here, runs well as a simple extracted binary and works wonders on overly bright or shadowy areas, plus it does panorama stitching etc.

Dan
26th September 2007, 08:28 PM
Hmmm.

Haven't run into much gthumb and the GIMP couldn't handle. For GIMP photo retouch work, see these:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=3112&catid=favorites&cutoffdate=all

as compared to:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=3118&catid=favorites&cutoffdate=all

Dan

rivalslayer
27th September 2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the help guys!!!