PDA

View Full Version : gnome-panel preventing system tartup

XMAG
26th September 2007, 12:19 AM
Hi

I was wandering around the gnome-panel options when I added to to panel some CPU frequency thing, just to see what it was like.

When I did so the panel crashed saying my CPU didnt have support for this feature or was not configured for it, something like that. then the whole system crashes.

The thing is that whenever I turn on or reboot the computer now, when gnome-panel is loading, shortly after log-in the system crashes and I cant even remove that CPU frequency thing from the panel, since the computer stops responding.

So I know have to options, eighter do it from text mode (ctrl+alt + 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, dont really know the difference here) where I have no idea how to edit the panel, or do it from another user, which I dont know how too, since I configured Fedora to autimatically log in to my user... Even if I do log in to root or something I wont know how to edit my user's panel...

So can someone help me on this one?

Thanks!

PS: I also remembered that O can use Fedora's live CD to log in, is that posible?

Dies
26th September 2007, 12:45 AM
What I would do is, boot up and instead of logging in just hit ctrl+alt+F2 to go to a text console then I would login as whatever user is screwed up and run

rm -rf .gnome*
rm -rf .gconf*
exit

then hit ctrl+alt+F7 to return to the graphical login.

Of course that completely wipes out anything you've customized but at least you should be able to login and start customizing it again. :D

XMAG
26th September 2007, 01:37 AM
everything? or just the panel?

I just managed to open a terminal immediately before the panel crashed so I'm accessing the forum here from my user... I might be able to open some files...

Is there any other way?
What exactly this commands mean?
can I write "rm -rf .gnome-panel*" so i t would reset just the panels?

Thanks!

Dies
26th September 2007, 02:28 AM
O.K.

Try this

rm -rf .gconf/apps/panel/applets/applet*

Sorry it might also be under objects:

rm -rf .gconf/apps/panel/objects/object*

That should only nuke any applets you have added to the panel while not affecting anything else. :)

As for the command, you should be very careful with the "rm' command and make sure you type the command right. You can easily wipe out your entire system if you run the wrong thing as root.

"rm" stands for remove

"-rf" are options which mean recursive and force, in other words it will delete directories without asking.

Try "man rm" for a complete explanation, or once you get your desktop back just go to System>Help then search for "rm". ;)

XMAG
26th September 2007, 03:25 AM
worked perfectly! I just had to re-add the launchers and my panel is back, thanks!