PDA

View Full Version : adding desktop icons

dynoweb
24th September 2007, 06:17 AM
I have downloaded some icons i want to replace some standard icons ..... how do i ad them ?

Wayne
24th September 2007, 06:22 AM
If you look in your /home folder there's a hidden directory called '.icons' You can throw them in there. If you're using Gnome, right-click on the icon you want to change and select 'Properties' and click on the icon on the first page to change it. This doesn't work for the Wastebasket, you'd need to change the icon in the theme.

Wayne

dynoweb
24th September 2007, 07:19 AM
If you look in your /home folder there's a hidden directory called '.icons' You can throw them in there. If you're using Gnome, right-click on the icon you want to change and select 'Properties' and click on the icon on the first page to change it. This doesn't work for the Wastebasket, you'd need to change the icon in the theme.

Wayne

how do i chage stuff in the theme? i tried going into the theme area (.theme) i cant go there to change anything. I tried going into the area that allows me to add themes (main menu --> system --> preferences --> themes) and that doesn't work?

Wayne
24th September 2007, 07:23 AM
Icon themes installed with the system go under:

/usr/share/icons

Icon themes you've installed yourself from tarballs go under:

~/.icons

When you change an icon in a theme, be sure to do it for all sizes that the original icon is available.

Wayne

jrummy27
24th September 2007, 07:30 AM
Dynoweb, to install an icon theme from a tarball I do this:

# mv icons.tar.gz ~/.icons
# cd ~/.icons
# tar -xvzf icons.tar.gz
# gnome-theme-manager

Choose your theme and click customize. Then go to the icons tab and you should see your new set.

John

Wayne
24th September 2007, 07:33 AM
Sure, or for the lazy, open the Theme manager and drag the tarball over it :)

I think the OP wants to change individual icons and not the whole theme set though.

Wayne

dynoweb
24th September 2007, 07:33 AM
Icon themes installed with the system go under:

/usr/share/icons

Icon themes you've installed yourself from tarballs go under:

~/.icons

When you change an icon in a theme, be sure to do it for all sizes that the original icon is available.

Wayne

i know where to find them as stated in my previous post ... what i cant figure out is how to change certain images like the folders...stuff like that .... the problem i am facing is they are .svg files and i am trying to replace them with .png files..... is that possible?

Wayne
24th September 2007, 07:39 AM
i know where to find them as stated in my previous post ... what i cant figure out is how to change certain images like the folders...stuff like that .... the problem i am facing is they are .svg files and i am trying to replace them with .png files..... is that possible?

I'm not sure about this. What I do know is for .png icons you will need to scale them for each size while .svg icons go under the 'scalable' sub-directory of the icon theme. You could try creating the appropriate directories under 'scalable' (Apps, Places, etc) and putting them in there but you will have to edit the 'index.theme' file to reflect this.

Wayne

jrummy27
24th September 2007, 07:40 AM
Thats weird, for the last 5 or 10 icon sets I installed it failed when I did drag-n-drop so I assumed it didnt work with icons. I just tried again and it seems to work fine. Guess I should stop getting broken icon sets :P

Wayne
24th September 2007, 07:43 AM
Thats weird, for the last 5 or 10 icon sets I installed it failed when I did drag-n-drop so I assumed it didnt work with icons. I just tried again and it seems to work fine. Guess I should stop getting broken icon sets :P

I think in earlier versions of Fedora it may have been broken. I once noticed an icon theme was placed under .themes instead of .icons (FC5?)

Edit: After that I got into the habit of doing it manually too, even for GTK2 and Metacity themes :D

Wayne

dynoweb
24th September 2007, 08:00 AM
I think in earlier versions of Fedora it may have been broken. I once noticed an icon theme was placed under .themes instead of .icons (FC5?)

Edit: After that I got into the habit of doing it manually too, even for GTK2 and Metacity themes :D

Wayne

i will try later it is now midnight and i am sick and need to get to bed ... thank you for your help.... if there is anything else please post or if you want you can post on my forum http://dwd.freeforums.org/ or http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=dwd&act=idx both of these forums are mine and I want alot of information on them so feel free to register on them and post so we can keep in touch thank you..