PDA

View Full Version : fc6 on K8V - hangs when probing PCI bus using lspci etc.

poidol
21st September 2007, 04:09 PM
G'day

I've recently installed fc6 on a K8V mobo with AMD64 3200+ with a Promise controlled SATA RAID set.

My problem is the machine keeps hanging as soon as i try to do anything related to the PCI bus, e.g. detect sound cards etc, even lspci causes in instant hang which never recovers. I have also tried ksysinfo etc, but whenever the PCI bus needs reading - *BANG*

There is nothing untoward during boot (with quiet disabled) and nothing in dmesg apart from 'PCI: cannot allocate region 0 of device 0000:00:00.0 \n PCI: cannot allocate region 1 of device 0000:01:01.0'

Originally I had an MX440 in their with the livna drivers but it would randomly hang, so I swapped it out with an ATI rage maxx, which has two processors, one at 1:0:0 and the other at 1:1:0.

I have played about with every single BIOS option, removed/relocated my one additional PCI device (SB live) but still have this problem.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas? This is starting to pee me off.

Cheers.

EDIT: I've been playing around with kernel parameters and when I boot to run level 3 lspci works, so I'm thinking it may be something to do with graphics card/X windows.

2nd EDIT:

I discovered The ATI card is the cause of these problems after putting the card into another FC6 (32 bit) box. exactly the same results.

Although the Nvidia card works no problem on the 32 bit machine, it looks awful compared to the ati so I'm guessing that card is toast. That's two nvidias that have burnt out on me in two years. :mad: