PDA

View Full Version : ATI driver 3.9.0 on FC2 with kernel 2.6.6

micha
14th June 2004, 10:46 PM
Based on the previous how-to for ATI driver on FC2, here is a new how-to for the ATI driver 3.9.0 installation on FC2 with the new kernel 2.6.6. First of all, make sure the "kernel-sourcecode" package is installed.

1) Download the rpm from ATI Drivers version 3.9.0 for XFree 4.3.0:
http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?type=linux&prodType=graphic&prod=productsLINUXdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=8&submit=GO%21

2) Download the Fedora Core 2 patch in attached file, and copy it in /tmp. This patch is a compilation of FC2 and mm patches.

3) Go to a true console mode (e.g. CTRL+ALT+F1).

4) Logon as root.

5) Shutdown Xwindow:

init 3

6) Install ATI driver:

cd /tmp
rpm -Uvh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm

7) Unzip the patch:

gunzip fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch.gz

8) Go to the ATI driver source directory, and apply the patch:

cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
patch -p1 < /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch

9) Compile and install the ATI driver:

sh make.sh
cd ..
sh make_install.sh
Note if you are using a SMP kernel, you have to add an additionnal link before compiling the ATI driver:

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435 /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435smpYou'll have to adapt the kernel version number according to yours.

10) Config the drivers:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.org
fglrxconfig
ln -sf /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Now you have to edit the new xorg.conf file ; you can use nano , vi, mc, or any other text editor in console mode.
Copy the mouse, keyboard, and monitor sections of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.org file into the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
Then you need to put
Option "Xkbrules" "xorg" in the keyboard section of the xorg.conf file.
Finally, to correct a little Xv problem you need to put
Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" in the device section (i.e. the ATI driver part).

11) Restart Xwindow

init 5

Everything should work fine. Any feedback on this how-to is appreciated.

--Micha

pamindic
15th June 2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by micha
Based on the previous how-to for ATI driver on FC2, here is a new how-to for the ATI driver 3.9.0 installation on FC2 with the new kernel 2.6.6. First of all, make sure the "kernel-sourcecode" package is installed.

1) Download the rpm from ATI Drivers version 3.9.0 for XFree 4.3.0:
http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?type=linux&prodType=graphic&prod=productsLINUXdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=8&submit=GO%21

> ok

2) Download the Fedora Core 2 patch in attached file, and copy it in /tmp. This patch is a compilation of FC2, regparm and mm patches.

> ok

3) Go to a true console mode (e.g. CTRL+ALT+F1).

> ok

4) Logon as root.

> ok

5) Shutdown Xwindow:

init 3

> ok

6) Install ATI driver:

cd /tmp
rpm -Uvh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm

> I get error message :
"XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.427/builld/include/..drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
This driver is designed..... X4.1.0 or higher.
You can.................. kernel 2.4.8 or higher.

7) Unzip the patch:

gunzip fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch.gz

> ok

8) Go the ATI driver source directory, and apply the patch:

cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
patch -p1 < /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch
Some errors occur, just discard them.

> Yes. Hunks #3 and #8 fail.

9) Compile and install the ATI driver:

sh make.sh

> I get ame error as in 6) above.

cd ..
sh make_install.sh

> I get error "Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system....blah..blah.. failed.

10) Config the drivers:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.org
fglrxconfig

11) Restart Xwindow

init 5

Everything should work fine. Any feedback on this how-to would appreciated.

--Micha

See above for my results when following this guide.

Any ideas?

micha
15th June 2004, 01:57 AM
The error in step 6 is normal, but the error in step 9 is not (since the patch is made to correct that). Could you post the complete error message in order to see what's wrong ?

--Micha

Heon2574
15th June 2004, 02:56 AM
pamindic look in this thread

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33763905

The two patches you need are there and I got it patched without those "hunk failed" messages.

micha
15th June 2004, 03:51 AM
I've updated the patch in the first post. There shouldn't be any "hunk failed" present anymore. I compiled the fc2 path (the one Heon2574 mentioned above) and the mm patch.

--Micha

pamindic
15th June 2004, 05:04 AM
The error in step 6 is normal, but the error in step 9 is not (since the patch is made to correct that). Could you post the complete error message in order to see what's wrong ?

--Micha

Oops - I thought I had kernel-sourcecode loaded, but apparently not.

That's better, got it working fine now.

Micha, your how-to's good. You might add the symbolic link stuff that's needed at the end, just to make it complete.

There are so many newbees (like me) tearing their hair out with this ATI stuff. A complete foolproof how-to is a great contribution.

Thanks
A McMahon

micha
15th June 2004, 05:33 AM
You don't need the links. You just need to put

--Micha

Heon2574
15th June 2004, 08:21 AM
kernel 2.6.6-1.435 installed and running.

upon booting the new kernel, the ati drivers didn't work so I did:

$ cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
$ sh make.sh
$ cd ..
$ sh make_install.sh

and restart X

pamindic
15th June 2004, 09:34 AM
You don't need the links. You just need to put

--Micha

Ah - that works fine for keyboard, and the patch now works a treat. But I still seem to need the symbolic link:

cd /etc/X11
ln -sf XF86Config-4 xorg.conf

regards

krystof
15th June 2004, 09:41 AM
I own an ATI Radeon 9800.
I got problems few weeks ago when I tried to install Fedora Core 2 Test 3 on my computer with this video card because Linux used my ATI card with Mesa drivers; no 3D available, only 2D.
I'd just want to say that micha's procedure work ( I found similar installation on the web at that time ).
Try glxinfo to see which driver is used. It should be something like this:
OpenGL Vendor String: ATI Technologies Inc,
OpenGL Renderer String: ATI Radeon 9xxx .

If Mesa appears, not 3D.

:D

Heon2574
15th June 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by pamindic
But I still seem to need the symbolic link:

cd /etc/X11
ln -sf XF86Config-4 xorg.conf

regards

You'll always need to sym link that since the ati drivers dont save the configuration file as xorg.conf; they're saved as XF86Config-4. Until of course ati updates the driver to make it 100% compatible with Xorg.

astreyon
15th June 2004, 11:18 AM
i didd all that's said here, driver installed succesfully but it seemed to be somehow very slow on my laptop:
centrino 1.4
512 meg
radeon mobility 9600
fedora core 2
kernel 2.6.6.-1.435
driver ATI 3.9 for XFREE 4.3

thanks for your help ;)

movery
15th June 2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by pamindic
Oops - I thought I had kernel-sourcecode loaded, but apparently not.

That's better, got it working fine now.

Micha, your how-to's good. You might add the symbolic link stuff that's needed at the end, just to make it complete.

There are so many newbees (like me) tearing their hair out with this ATI stuff. A complete foolproof how-to is a great contribution.

Thanks
A McMahon

Hi,

I have followed the steps in the how to but get the same message as you did in step 9. Can you please explain exactly how you "loaded" the kernel source code?!

I am also tearing my hair out with this :) Its a real pain in the arse...

Thanks,

Matt

micha
16th June 2004, 01:21 AM
You have to install the kernel-sourcecode package. You can do
yum install kernel-sourcecode or
apt-get install kernel-sourcecode If you don't know how-to set up yum or apt, you can find a lot of threads about this topic on this forum.

--Micha

movery
16th June 2004, 02:27 AM
You have to install the kernel-sourcecode package. You can do
yum install kernel-sourcecode or
apt-get install kernel-sourcecode If you don't know how-to set up yum or apt, you can find a lot of threads about this topic on this forum.

--Micha

Great, thanks. I have now installed the sourcecode for the kernel using yum, dropped down to run level 3 as root and picked up where I left off with the "sh make.sh" command. However, now I get this:

ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.434/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.

Any ideas?

astreyon
16th June 2004, 02:39 AM
have you applied the patch given by micha ?
see the first post of this thread.

movery
16th June 2004, 03:30 AM
Yep. Below is my session. I can't see that I missed anything out.. Does it matter that I am using x86_64 fc2?

manub
16th June 2004, 03:47 AM
I can't get it to work. I can install properly everything (except some hunks when patching even with the last file), but I can't get 3D Acceleration working.

[manub@manub system]$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.4 Mesa 5.0.2)

I did the symlink. I will attach my log file. Hoping someone could help. Thanks a lot.

p.s. I notice this EE lines in my log file.

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP

micha
16th June 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by movery
Does it matter that I am using x86_64 fc2? Hmm yes, I guess the ATI driver does not work on x86_64.

micha
16th June 2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by manub
p.s. I notice this EE lines in my log file.

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP What is the chipset on your motherboard ? You might try to disable the internal AGP management of the ATI driver. In the device section of the xorg.conf file, set this option:
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"

manub
16th June 2004, 10:47 AM
I've got a nForce2 chipset. Will try for this tomorrow as now I haven't got access to my box. Thanks for helping.

micha
16th June 2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by manub
I've got a nForce2 chipset. So you also need the nForce2 driver from nVidia.

manub
16th June 2004, 08:01 PM
I think I'm going crazy ... anyway thanks for helping ... now I only need to install that driver ... and as I've seen in nVidia site it's not too easy :(

I've tried to build a rpm with the instructions on nVidia site (and also to install from the tar file), but got a plenty of errors ... :confused:

pamindic
17th June 2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by movery
Does it matter that I am using x86_64 fc2?

I've been through that. I couldn't get the 3.9 ATI driver working with x86-64. What's wanted is a bespoke 64-bit driver from ATI.

You could ditch the x86-64 kernel and install the i686 kernel instead. You should be able to 'yum install' or 'yum update' it, followed by a 'yum install' of the kernel-sourcecode. 'yum list |more' will let you see the latest i686 kernel and sourcecode available for download.

redmoth
17th June 2004, 03:17 PM
okay, im doing this using lynx, so i hope that it works right. i should say that everything worked great with the how-to, Micha, at least until i went to init 5. the screen flashed a few times and then it gave me an error message, saying that it could not initialize the core pointer. it gave me the option to look at Xserver output (which seemed to say the same thing. im not a log file reading guru) and gave me the option to run the mouse config tool. so i run that again and select Generic Wheel Mouse (USB) (which is what i have...well, its a Micro$oft Wheel Mouse USB, but that shouldnt matter) and then i get the same...the screen flashes a few times and it gives me a core pointer error.....What gives? i made sure to use the same thing i had in xorg.conf for the mouse (/dev/input/mice) when i ran fglrxconfig. im a little lost as to what to do now. please help!
-thanks a bunch
-redmoth

coccovax
17th June 2004, 10:31 PM
Sorry for my bad English...
If applying micha patch at beginning of this thread you are still having error on step 9 try to remove sym link /usr/src/linux.

I made it and all works fine.

manub
18th June 2004, 06:05 AM
So you also need the nForce2 driver from nVidia.

do you know how to install them ? :(

redmoth
18th June 2004, 06:41 AM
following this how-to exactly gives me no errors until i go to initialize run level 5. then i get a core pointer error. The log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log tells me this:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: no such device
(EE) <default pointer>: cannot find which device to use
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No device specified
(EE) <default pointer>: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "<default pointer>"
No Core Pointer

Fatal Server Error:
failed to initialize core devices

i understand that it cant find my mouse, but i am unsure of how to remedy the problem...ive tried running the mouse config tool that it suggests...but to no avail. Im lost at this point... any help is much appreciated.

thanks

micha
18th June 2004, 10:46 AM
Could you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log in attached file ?

redmoth
18th June 2004, 01:03 PM
here is my log file, thanks for the help:
P.S. i had to change it to a .txt file

micha
19th June 2004, 03:33 AM
Yep, it's definitely a mouse config problem. Try to configure it with system-config-mouse. My mouse section in xorg.conf file looks like this:

# ************************************************** **********
#
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
#
# ************************************************** **********
Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection Post your xorg.conf in attached file to see what's going on.

theurge
19th June 2004, 07:08 AM
So you also need the nForce2 driver from nVidia.

nVidia still hasn't updated their GART drivers since the 2.4 kernel.

manub
19th June 2004, 07:12 AM
however it doesn't work with nForce2 chipset ... I was looking also for kernel-module-nvidia for Fedora 2 but no way to find it ...

str33k!
19th June 2004, 08:28 AM
*EDIT*
okay im having a few problems i guess i downloaded the kernel source via yum install kernel-sourcecode

and i go follow the directiosn step by step and i end up with the same error at step 9 as pamindic did... any ideas

also is there a log save of what i did anywhere so it could provide more information???

micha
19th June 2004, 08:32 AM
You need to copy the mouse section of your xorg.conf.org file (created in step 10) into the new xorg.conf file (generated by fglrx).
Some useful files: /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

PawnsharK
19th June 2004, 08:34 AM
Hello everyone, I am a new user to linux and I ran into a small issue installing the ati 3.9.0 drivers for Fedora Core 2.

Micha, the howto for this was amazing. Getting the ATI drivers to run has let me fall in love with FC2 all over again and boot Mandrake10OE off my hard drive. There is a little problem I ran into though. It isn't a serious one (I don't think), but it is tedious.

When I log into FC2, gnome 2.6 loads and then this screen comes up everytime:

http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/~spark2/Screenshot.jpg

The keyboard works fine, but for some reason I get this error. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

micha
19th June 2004, 08:36 AM
You just need to put

If it doesn't work, create some symbolic links:
cd /etc/X11/xkb/rules
ln -sf xorg xfree86
ln -sf xorg.lst xfree86.lst
ln -sf xorg.xml xfree86.xml

str33k!
19th June 2004, 08:49 AM
*EDIT*
okay im having a few problems i guess i downloaded the kernel source via yum install kernel-sourcecode

and i go follow the directiosn step by step and i end up with the same error at step 9 as pamindic did... any ideas

also is there a log save of what i did anywhere so it could provide more information???

micha
19th June 2004, 08:53 AM
I guess I replied to your post, why did it move ?
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=77658&postcount=34

str33k!
19th June 2004, 09:19 AM
alright ive done that.. but i shouldnt be getting any errors at step 9 i thought?

micha
19th June 2004, 09:56 AM
alright ive done that.. but i shouldnt be getting any errors at step 9 i thought?
No you shoudn't get an error, post it here.

LudViche
19th June 2004, 06:29 PM
I've got a problem.

I'm running a Kernel 2.6.6-435 with Kernel-sourcecode installed and gcc3.4 installed.

When I do sh make_install.sh, i've got an error :

-trying a samble load of the kernel module
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Invalid module format
Failed.

And the 3d acceleration doesn't work....

I think the probleme is due to the gcc3.4, because I've seen an error about the kernel and gcc this morning, but I don't remeber what was this error.

So if anybody can help me...

PS : Sorry for my bad (very bad) english

str33k!
20th June 2004, 12:27 AM
at step 9 i got this error ATI module generator V 2.0
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.434/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.

then i went threw the fglrxconfig and then i ended up not being able to get back into init 5 because it says it cant find the mouse pointer device or whatever went threw the mouse setup thing and still couldnt get in to x.. im going to be reinstalling it here soon.. id like to bweable to run fc2 + ati drivers lol..

micha
20th June 2004, 01:36 AM
@ LudVike: don't use gcc3.4. To build a kernel module you need to use gcc 3.3

@ str33k!: you need to apply the patch. Please re-read the how-to, I made some modifications due to the mouse problem.

str33k!
20th June 2004, 02:53 AM
alright i just reinstalled downloading al lthe new kernel and kernel source

so i can
Copy the mouse, keyboard, and monitor sections of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.org file into the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
Then you need to put
Code:

Option "Xkbrules" "xorg"

in the keyboard section of the xorg.conf file.
do ^^^ that in true console mode?? im kinda new to linux sorry for all the questions!

Harryc
20th June 2004, 03:26 AM
micha, I'd just like to say that I had tried many other ATI driver howto:'s and your's was the first that worked. You rule! Thanks :). Quick question...ATI control panel, broken right?

9800 Pro, FC2 2.6.6-1.435,

[harryc@localhost /]$ glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes :)

[harryc@localhost /]$ glxgears
20025 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4005.000 FPS
21314 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4262.800 FPS
21264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4252.800 FPS
21215 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4243.000 FPS
21214 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4242.800 FPS
21337 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4267.400 FPS
21318 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4263.600 FPS
21311 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4262.200 FPS
21289 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4257.800 FPS
21320 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4264.000 FPS
21293 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4258.600 FPS

[harryc@localhost /]$ fgl_glxgears
3631 frames in 5.0 seconds = 726.200 FPS
4224 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.800 FPS
4203 frames in 5.0 seconds = 840.600 FPS
4225 frames in 5.0 seconds = 845.000 FPS
4214 frames in 5.0 seconds = 842.800 FPS
4202 frames in 5.0 seconds = 840.400 FPS
4221 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.200 FPS
4221 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.200 FPS

lafrad
20th June 2004, 04:02 AM
wow.. this is crazy.. I am still having trouble getting my card to work.

My system:

Dual Celeron, 500 mhz (333's o'c'd),
512 mb ram,
A-Trend Freeway Dual MBoard
ATI Radeon 8500 Bios'd to 9100

I was unable to compile while using the 2.6.6 smp kernel, so I switched to the non-smp kernel, and was able to compile.

I was able to copy the appropriate things between the xorg.conf and XF... config files, (mouse and keyboard.. I knew the scan rates for the monitor, Viewsonic PT775)

Now, I can load X, but I am stuck at 1600x1200 @ 60hz. The monitor can hanle 16x12 @ 75 hz.

glxinfo | grep direct tells me I don't have direct rendering, and the 2D accelerating seems MUCH slower than the ATI Radeo Generic driver gave me.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a configuration point here?

str33k!
20th June 2004, 04:07 AM
alright im running 2.6.6-1.435smp kernel and when i go ctrl + alt + f1
login root

init 3
i get this

init switching to run level 3
init sending prcesses the term signal
starting irqbalance [ ok ]
starting pcmcia [ ok ]
starting automount: no mount points defined [ ok ]
starting anacron [ ok ]
starting mdmpd: kernel md module does not support events [ FAILED]

any ideas?

lafrad
20th June 2004, 04:29 AM
ok. I loaded x in non-smp mode.. and it appears that everything runs great.

What do I have to do to get rendering and 2D acceleration to run in SMP mode (as this computer is quite sluggish in single processor mode... )

lafrad
20th June 2004, 05:00 AM
Ok. Got SMP to work

Followed an older How-To Thread, and there was a suggestion of creating a symbolic link to "fool" the compiler to allow you to compile while in an SMP kernel:

here is the post:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=13357&postcount=28

Here is the thread.:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2028&page=2&pp=15&highlight=ati+smp

Here is the quote by chamberl

login as root
cd /usr/src/
ln -s linux-2.6.5-1.358 linux-2.6.5-1.358smp

just substitue your smp kernel name in for the one he has listed, and you are golden.

micha
20th June 2004, 05:52 AM
do ^^^ that in true console mode?? im kinda new to linux sorry for all the questions!
I can do that either in console or in graphic mode. After the modifications, you'll have to restart Xwindow (init 5 or CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE).

@ lafrad: Thanks for the help, I've added the SMP workaround in the how-to.

@ Str33k!: You can disable mdmpd service:
chkconfig --level 12345 mdmpd off

str33k!
20th June 2004, 07:41 PM
cant seem to get the drivers to take after installing and going threw the howto it still reads

[str33k@user61 str33k]$ glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: No
:(

zhiyung
20th June 2004, 09:07 PM
I got this too:

initializing...
Error:

I applied the patch(fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch.gz) already.

Im using a64 2800+, abit kv8pro, his 9600XT 256meg, 1gig ddr400 ram.

str33k!
20th June 2004, 09:20 PM
woo hoo finally got it working

[root@user61 root]# glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

[root@user61 root]# glxgears
17796 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3559.200 FPS
19012 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3802.400 FPS
19015 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3803.000 FPS
19002 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3800.400 FPS
19020 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3804.000 FPS

thanks for all the help!!!

racoontje
20th June 2004, 11:21 PM
At least not on a homemade 2.6.7 kernel. Do I really have to use the Fedora binary RPM's? It seems that version.h is missing -- it isn't in the source either.

[laurens@laurensdesktop laurens]$ su
Password:
[root@laurensdesktop laurens]# wget -P /tmp/ http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
--11:43:28-- http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
=> `/tmp/fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm.2'
Resolving www2.ati.com... 194.78.133.217, 194.78.133.199
Connecting to www2.ati.com[194.78.133.217]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4,285,357 [audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin]

100%[====================================>] 4,285,357 340.11K/s ETA 00:00

11:43:41 (334.69 KB/s) - `/tmp/fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm.2' saved [4285357/4285357]

[root@laurensdesktop laurens]# rpm --force -i /tmp/fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
initializing...
kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.7/build/include not found or incomplete
file: /lib/modules/2.6.7/build/include/linux/version.h
*** WARNING ***

failed.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
===
[root@laurensdesktop laurens]# cd /usr/src
[root@laurensdesktop src]# ls
ATI linux-2.6.5-1.358 linux-2.6.6-1.383 linux-2.6.7
[root@laurensdesktop src]# uname -a
Linux laurensdesktop 2.6.7 #1 SMP Sun Jun 20 10:14:59 CEST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@laurensdesktop src]# cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
[root@laurensdesktop build_mod]# wget -P /tmp/ http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/~ewald/patches/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
--11:45:24-- http://rambo.its.tudelft.nl/%7Eewald/patches/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
=> `/tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch.2'
Resolving rambo.its.tudelft.nl... 130.161.36.96
Connecting to rambo.its.tudelft.nl[130.161.36.96]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 59,903 [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 59,903 279.02K/s

11:45:24 (278.20 KB/s) - `/tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch.2' saved [59903/59903]

[root@laurensdesktop build_mod]# patch -p1 < /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
patching file 2.6.x/Makefile
patching file firegl_public.c
patching file firegl_public.h
patching file make.sh
[root@laurensdesktop build_mod]# sh make.sh
initializing...
kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.7/build/include not found or incomplete
file: /lib/modules/2.6.7/build/include/linux/version.h
[root@laurensdesktop build_mod]# cd ..
[root@laurensdesktop fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
*** WARNING ***

failed.

racoontje
21st June 2004, 01:39 AM
I switched back to a fedora kernel... hoping it'll work now...

PawnsharK
21st June 2004, 04:34 AM
Woohoo a complete ati driver install with no problems :D Thanks alot micha for all the help and how-to. I realised I didnt configure my xorg.conf with the keyboard issue at the time I originally installed ati's drivers because I printed out the how-to a day before the how-to was edited. :p Also, I wonder why the kernel-sourcecode isn't installed when doing a full install of FC2. It seems the simplest problems are always the most overlooked.

Anyway, thanks again.

By the way, here are my stats:

[pawnshark@localhost pawnshark]$ fglrxinfo
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9600 XT Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3 (X4.3.0-3.9.0)

[pawnshark@localhost pawnshark]$ glxgears
9797 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1959.400 FPS
9775 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1955.000 FPS
16022 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3204.400 FPS
16158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3231.600 FPS
16158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3231.600 FPS

str33k!
21st June 2004, 08:37 AM
would anyone know of any patches for the 3.2.8 drivers ??

the 3.9.0 give horrible fps in ut2k3-4 every one says use the 3.2.8's but they dont know of any patches heh

Thetargos
22nd June 2004, 09:20 PM
would anyone know of any patches for the 3.2.8 drivers ??

the 3.9.0 give horrible fps in ut2k3-4 every one says use the 3.2.8's but they dont know of any patches heh
I think you will find a patch for the 3.2.8 driver called fglrx-3.2.8-regparm.patch at Rage3D forums, however I do not know if the mm patch will apply cleanly to it, and then again I do not konw if it will even compile.

I have a question though for those of you who have the driver working with the external AGP driver... Since the AGP support seems to be compiled into the kernel in newer FC2 kernels (from 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.6.-1.435), have you tried to see if the NWN memroy leak is still there? I assume it is (since there should not be any difference to have the driver in the kernel and as an external module) and also, do you get an mtrr overlap in dmesg or a message in Xorg.0.log stating that it could not find the agpgart module?

Attempting to use the external module in my ECS SiS based MoBo (supported by the internal driver) ends in a failure in 3D due to the agpgart error, I get messages about that also in the X log and dmesg (cannot acquire AGP ENODEV), meaning the AGP subsystem cannot be intialized. BUT with a custom 2.6.7 kernel there's no such thing, since I have AGPGART and my mobo's chipset compiled as modules instead as into the kernel (with the obvious hassle of having to pre-load the sis-agp driver before entering init 5) I was just curious about this issue.

micha
23rd June 2004, 01:15 PM
I've updated the how-to to finally correct the Xv problem:
Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" in the device section (i.e. the ATI driver part).
Thanks to argasek at the rage3d.com forum for that "workaround" http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33761652&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

DragonXp
25th June 2004, 09:26 AM
I have follwed the staps in the FAQ to install the ATI Radeon driver, but it fails as you see below from my log.

How can I correct this? I'm booting the latest smp kernel.

-------------

[root@raptor root]# rpm -Uvh --replacefiles fglrx-4.3.0-*.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:fglrx ########################################### [100%]
*** WARNING ***

failed.
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435smp/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
*** WARNING ***

failed.
===
===
[root@raptor root]# cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
[root@raptor build_mod]# patch -p1 -i /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
patching file make.sh
[root@raptor build_mod]# sh make.sh
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435smp/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
[root@raptor build_mod]# cd ..
[root@raptor fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
*** WARNING ***

failed.

micha
25th June 2004, 11:29 AM
You didn't apply the good patch. Please read the first post of this thread.

DragonXp
25th June 2004, 04:08 PM
You didn't apply the good patch. Please read the first post of this thread.

Thanks! Hope the FAQ will be updated with the corrected patch.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon

dell500
26th June 2004, 04:07 PM
I've have made it to step 9, but i get the same Error after initializing sh make.sh. I was wondering if there is a way to start over with a fresh set of make files and header files. Do i just delete the build_mod dir?? Any responses would be great. tthanks

ChrisNUX
28th June 2004, 01:47 AM
Hello,
i tried this How-to on my Dell D600 Laptop - but i canīt get it to work.

How can i get back to the original driver provided with core2?

thx
chris

a3b3
29th June 2004, 06:49 AM
I have a problem too:

root@pc fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
[fgrlx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted
failed.
root@pc fglrx]#

what i am doing wrong?

that problem resolvd, i just had to unload radeon module.
And now it works :) tnx Micha

Avatraxiom
30th June 2004, 05:53 PM
Hey Micha. I'm going to update the FAQ with a link to your patch, if that's OK with you. :-) I'll probably get around to it some time this week or next. :-)

-Max

oddworld14
30th June 2004, 07:21 PM
Hi, I love you guys, for starters... hehe... Well I 'think' I have my ati drivers working in X. heres is some specs and such to get you up2date:

Inspiron 8600
FC2 Full install (everything) all yum updated.
ATI 9600 Pro Mobility (M10)

I think thats about all you need to know. Well I did the how-to and it 'worked' as far as i could tell. My glxgears gets about 2200 - 2400 FPS at normal size. I dont know if that is good or not, could someone clarify that... Then my glxinfo says a lot of stuff, a lot more then it ever did before i had the driver, but most importantly it says direct rendering: yes and that the rendering string is Mobility Radeon 9600 Generic, so thats good I think.

Now to my problem, xorg runs perfectly fine, no errors, the ATI control pannel doesnt work but i dont think it should with this work around, but anyways, the first program i tried was 3ddesktop just to see if its as good as people say, and it worked fine, spinning desktops and all, no lag. Then I tried tux racer... opened a small window, the screen flashed... then the screen started to 'melt' away... it started to melt to white i think, like the pixels were slowly changing. I hope that explains that well enough. Cool effect, but games are fun too. So then I try SOF for linux. Same thing. I have to force to quit.

I am going to play around some more tonight, thanks to all of you who did this. I am going to make a web site for the Inspiron 8600 too after I get everything on linux working for other people, because this is a GREAT laptop. I am so close to getting everything 100% perfect, this is my last issue. Thanks again

Kyle

ADDED:

I just did more testing with tux racer, and it seems that the game is still playing I just cant see it. I can hear it, I can even click around (I clicked and found exit and it even went back into my X like nothing bad ever happened) I am starting to think that maybe its the monitor being crazy or disconnected when using 3d programs? Well I will let you guys tell me what you think.

ADDED2:

I just noticed also that if I go to system settings -> Display that it says my resolution is smaller then what it is (800x600 when i know it is running at 1920x1200) and when i go to hardware it says Monitor type: Unknown Monitor and Video Card is VESA driver still. I dont know if this means anything or if it is even to change when we use the other driver. Glxinfo still says the same, where as before it too said VESA driver and only about 3 lines, now it gives me about 30, not errors. Sorry for all this adding, just maybe i will spark an idea or two =)

micha
1st July 2004, 01:33 AM
Hey Micha. I'm going to update the FAQ with a link to your patch, if that's OK with you. :-) I'll probably get around to it some time this week or next. :-)

-MaxNo problem
:)

Censored
1st July 2004, 08:14 AM
Ok, great help, got everything installed without problems.

But now that I am up and running, nothing works in OpenGL. Things like Tux Racer, UT2004 and even OpenGL screen savers load for a second and then crash dropping me to my KDE desktop when it trys to start OpenGL. With UT2k4 I have tryed fulls screen and windowed.. same both ways.

Problem with the driver? Or should I be looking at something else?

edit:
[teddy@localhost /]$ glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is what I get when I try to run glxinfo
and

[teddy@localhost ut2004]$ ./ut2004
Could not load OpenGL library

History:

Exiting due to error

is what I get when starting UT2004.

If I am in the wrong place let me know... just trying to rule out the driver install as the problem.

marks_linux
1st July 2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks thanks thanks, had initial problems as I was running kernel 2.6.7-1 and didn't have the source (and couldn't find it). dropped back to kernel-2.6.6-1.435 and everything worked to the letter.

Sample output from glxgears at 1280x780

13069 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2613.800 FPS
14986 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2997.200 FPS
15029 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3005.800 FPS
13578 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2715.600 FPS
14945 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2989.000 FPS
15007 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3001.400 FPS
14982 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2996.400 FPS

Mark

micha
1st July 2004, 10:05 AM
Then I tried tux racer... opened a small window, the screen flashed... then the screen started to 'melt' away... it started to melt to white i think, like the pixels were slowly changing. I hope that explains that well enough. Cool effect, but games are fun too. So then I try SOF for linux. Same thing. I have to force to quit.

Well that's normal with the Dell Inspiron 8600.
Only two screen resolutions work with the ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, their official driver and Linux: 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 (for a WUXGA screen).

The solution I found to get around is :
go to Windows, launch your game (Quake3, UT*,...), set the fullscreen resolution to 1600x1200, save and exit. Save your configuration file (for Quake3 it's $QUAKEHOME/baseq3/q3config.cfg, and for UT2004 it's $UT2K4HOME/System/UT2004.ini).
Now reboot to Linux, and copy the configuration file in the directory of the game (for Quake3 it's $HOME/.q3a/baseq3/q3config.cfg, and for UT2004 it's $HOME/.ut2004demo/System/UT2004.ini).

In the case of Unreal Tournament (any version), you can directly edit the configuration file and modify the values FullscreenViewport* in the SDLDrv.SDLClient section :

[SDLDrv.SDLClient]
WindowedViewportX=640
WindowedViewportY=480
FullscreenViewportX=1600
FullscreenViewportY=1200
MenuViewportX=640
MenuViewportY=480

In the case of Enemy Territory, you have to launch the game in a window (using an option) and modify the settings (because modifying the config file doesn't work for me) :

$ et +set r_fullscreen 0

Finally for Tux Racer, you have to modify the config file $HOME/.tuxracer/options:

# fullscreen
#
# If true then the game will run in full-screen mode.
#
set fullscreen true

# x_resolution
#
# The horizontal size of the Tux Racer window
#
set x_resolution 1920

# y_resolution
#
# The vertical size of the Tux Racer window
#
set y_resolution 1200

# bpp_mode
#
# Controls how many bits per pixel are used in the game.
# Valid values are:
#
# 0: Use current bpp setting of operating system
# 1: 16 bpp
# 2: 32 bpp
# Note that some cards (e.g., Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo3) only support
# 16 bits per pixel.
#
set bpp_mode 2

Hope it helps, at least it works for me.

micha
1st July 2004, 10:13 AM
Hello,
i tried this How-to on my Dell D600 Laptop - but i canīt get it to work.

How can i get back to the original driver provided with core2?

thx
chrisRemove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and restart Xwindow. The system will propose you to configure Xwindow.

oddworld14
1st July 2004, 10:48 AM
micha Thanks! that did work. I have the best screen I could buy, is that the WUXGA? I cant remember. I dont mind that high of a res for my desktop most times, but it will kinda stink when I have to gun that high for games heheh. oh well, I am sure they will fix it... some day. Thanks a ton for your help with that. Should I just keep that modeline of 1920x1200 or is there a better one? Also I am making a I8600 page, would it be okay if i put in your howto for the graphics? Of course i will put that you made it from fedora forum =)

Thanks

Kyle

micha
1st July 2004, 01:16 PM
I have the best screen I could buy, is that the WUXGA?I guess so. WUXGA resolution is 1920x1200.

Should I just keep that modeline of 1920x1200 or is there a better one?I found my modeline using the read-edid tool:
http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/
Here is the modeline for my monitor:
# vfreq 59.969Hz, hfreq 74.061kHz
Modeline "1920x1200" 161.75 1920 2020 2052 2184 1200 1202 1208 1235 -hsync -vsync

Also I am making a I8600 page, would it be okay if i put in your howto for the graphics? Of course i will put that you made it from fedora forum =)
No problem. I haven't had the time to write a "Dell Inspiron 8600 and Fedora Core" how-to. That would be great if you could do it :) Don't forget to report it to tuxmobil.org and linux-laptop.net ...

Thetargos
1st July 2004, 09:12 PM
Ok, great help, got everything installed without problems.

But now that I am up and running, nothing works in OpenGL. Things like Tux Racer, UT2004 and even OpenGL screen savers load for a second and then crash dropping me to my KDE desktop when it trys to start OpenGL. With UT2k4 I have tryed fulls screen and windowed.. same both ways.

Problem with the driver? Or should I be looking at something else?

edit:
[teddy@localhost /]$ glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is what I get when I try to run glxinfo
and

[teddy@localhost ut2004]$ ./ut2004
Could not load OpenGL library

History:

Exiting due to error

is what I get when starting UT2004.

If I am in the wrong place let me know... just trying to rule out the driver install as the problem.
The only thing you can do is either to reinstall the driver or download it (201.129.250.109/files/libGL.so.1.2.bz2) ;)

Just remeber to put it into /usr/X11R6/ and do the prtinent symlinks to it into that directory as well as /usr/lib:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 jun 22 03:28 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11 R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 jun 22 03:28 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/X 11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 jun 22 03:28 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 jun 22 03:28 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

amp_man
2nd July 2004, 06:48 PM
hey, thanks micha, that's great, I got my drivers running 3D stuff now, but is anyone else having issues with the ATI Control panel? In either KDE or Gnome, it will try to run, then crash, without any errors or anything. BTW, I'm using FC2 with a Sapphire 9500 and an AXP 1800+...and micha, are you by some chance the same micha as from falconfly.de?

rickh
2nd July 2004, 08:43 PM
I'm seeing people spending hours or days searching through forums, downloading numerous patches, carefully following various sets of instructions only to run into the kernel source does not match the driver or some other error.
I think a lot of potential Fedora/ATI users have probably said enough of this @@@@ and gone on to another distro or even worse back to Windows.

Wouldn't a better solution be to unpack the driver RPM, apply the correct patches and rebuild the RPM again. That would sure cut the traffic on a lot of forums, A simple post saying, ATI on Fedora 2 go "here" download a patched driver named "whatever" and install as per ATI's instructions.

There seem to be more than enough people following these threads that are more than capable of doing this.

Rick

Thetargos
2nd July 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm seeing people spending hours or days searching through forums, downloading numerous patches, carefully following various sets of instructions only to run into the kernel source does not match the driver or some other error.
I think a lot of potential Fedora/ATI users have probably said enough of this @@@@ and gone on to another distro or even worse back to Windows.

Wouldn't a better solution be to unpack the driver RPM, apply the correct patches and rebuild the RPM again. That would sure cut the traffic on a lot of forums, A simple post saying, ATI on Fedora 2 go "here" download a patched driver named "whatever" and install as per ATI's instructions.

There seem to be more than enough people following these threads that are more than capable of doing this.

Rick
I tried it already, but when I tried to install the RPM I made into another system (also running FC2) got all sorts of errors and stuff... even though in my system the RPM installed and built just fine. Maybe I just suck at RPM bulding :p

micha
2nd July 2004, 09:31 PM
...and micha, are you by some chance the same micha as from falconfly.de?Nope
:)

jcordova
3rd July 2004, 11:10 AM
Thank you for this guide.
I am using a Radeon 9600 with a patched 2.6.7-bk15. I had been struggling, and now it just works! Thanks again.

Jose Luis Cordova

MHeitmann62
5th July 2004, 02:20 AM
I followed the exellent how to but at step 9 I got the same error as before applying the attached patch.

I'm running kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3. During patching I got the following:

patching file make.sh
Hunk #1 succeeded at 176 with fuzz 1.
patching file agpgart_be.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 2019 (offset -47 lines).

If I use the command sh make.sh then comes up the well known error.

Does anybody has a solution for this fault?

Edit:
Problem solved. I just reinstalled the kernel-sourcecode and it works.

draek
5th July 2004, 08:42 AM
Ok, there is a lot of information in multiple forums on how to install these darn drivers. Its not that I dont understand the information I read, but seriously, theres 101 solutions to installing these things and it should really be the same for all Fedora Core 2 installations that use the fc2 kernels.

Using the latest update from Fedora, Kernel 2.6.6-435.2.3, I got the drivers to compile, after using parts of patches from different ones that I found (none went in cleanly on the 3.9.0 drivers, so i dont know how anyone is doing it.. since its all the same source code we are all patching)

I get this error when trying to LOAD the kernel module
> /sbin/modprobe fglrx
FATAL: Cannot find module amd64_agp.
done.

I dont have a AMD 64, and no there is no module, its loaded in the kernel. Why this error comes up? I have no clue.

Really, either Fedora or ATI should get their butt in gear with these drivers.

GrumpyGnome
5th July 2004, 12:01 PM
Thank you Micha for the "how to"
I was lost as a noob but have gotten the drivers working. As a note for noobs, after you unpack the make files you need to 'chmod +x make.sh' to get them to execute. Do that to make_install.sh also. I don't know how to copy and paste from an init 3 editor but just edited the XF86Config-4 file directly and pitiently entered my info. That's was it, I just pushed on through what I thought were bad errors and warnings. Happy Fourth of July 2004!

Harryc
6th July 2004, 03:12 PM
hey, thanks micha, that's great, I got my drivers running 3D stuff now, but is anyone else having issues with the ATI Control panel? In either KDE or Gnome, it will try to run, then crash, without any errors or anything. BTW, I'm using FC2 with a Sapphire 9500 and an AXP 1800+...and micha, are you by some chance the same micha as from falconfly.de? Here's a link on howto make the ATI control panel work in FC2. I just did it and it works fine...you're not missing much though ;).
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33765275

Lopov
6th July 2004, 03:41 PM
Here's a link on howto make the ATI control panel work in FC2. I just did it and it works fine...you're not missing much though ;).

Actually I had that problem and could't find a post to help me until now but back then I'd run fireglcontrol
in the terminal to see the output and it said it needed libpng10.so.0 so I searched for it at RPM search
and it directed me to some pms that had that in it. I downloaded libpng1-1.0.15-1.i386.rpm and installed that.
then my control panel worked. Now I know there's an easier solution so I'll do that next time.

tonytiger
7th July 2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks micha for the instructions (and patch). Everything seems to work now, except I messed something probably with xorg.conf. I get message:
Can't bind key 255 to 2510.
It says that but everything seems ok. However it would be nice to get this fixed too. So anybody have solution for this?

Secondly has anybody tried to launch up2date today. There are updates available for X11. The problem is that it seems to have some sort of conflict with the Ati driver. The message:
Test install failed because of package conflicts:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.7.0-5 conflicts with file from
package fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.

tony

flipy
7th July 2004, 05:38 PM
well, I've an error :(
look at this thread (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=81774&postcount=8)

oddworld14
8th July 2004, 03:49 PM
I just updated my kernel to the 2.3 and thepatch and everything worked, but i am getting a Can't bind key error too when i boot and sometimes in console. I had this error before i did the patch though and only with this kernel so I dont think it has anything to do with the drivers. BTW the rpm for the drivers doesnt work, you still have to patch and everything but after that it works perfect =)

SilentBob
8th July 2004, 11:36 PM
ok, I tried to install an ati driver to play a game with 3d acel...I followed this guide... ---> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16690&highlight=compiling+kernel And I installed the fglrx rpm file and got these errors ---> http://silentbob.politicalemergency.com/rpminstall.log But everything seemed to install so I proceeded.....and when it got to step 9 in the guide... the second make_install.sh file...I got these errors...---> http://silentbob.politicalemergency.com/foo.sh.log

[root@localhost root]# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3
[root@localhost root]# rpm -q kernel-sourcecode
kernel-sourcecode-2.6.6-1.435.2.3

If you need any more info let me know...

Any help in solving this problem would be very much appreciated TIA

dell500
9th July 2004, 01:37 PM
I've gotten everything to install correctly. I still don't have direct rendering, but this might be because I don't have the nforce2 drivers isntalled. I'm going to need some help. Thus the nforce2 drivers aren't installed, I can't get online because niether ethernet port on my mobo works (A7N8X-E Deluxe) any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

gohanman
9th July 2004, 02:54 PM
[root@localhost build_mod]# patch -p1 < fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch
patching file make.sh
[root@localhost build_mod]# sh make.sh
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.

Obviously, I did run the patch. I also tried grabbing fresh kernel-source via yum and put in the required smp-kernel link. Still doesn't work. Anybody got any ideas?

EDIT:
It's trying to include files from /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/...

The kernel sources installed are v. 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.

There is a directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp. That's probably the one it SHOULD be using. How do I make it do that?

madmerlin
10th July 2004, 05:05 PM
I've installed the RPM and applied the patch, as well as the "sh make.sh"... and everything seems fine up until I "sh make_install.sh"

I get the following error:

- creating symlink
[fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted
failed.

I read a post where someone was having this problem and said they resolved it by "unloading the driver"... can anyone tell me how to do that ?

SilentBob
10th July 2004, 09:49 PM
I posted a thread a few behind yours with just about the same thing...

fglrx: version magic '2.6.6-1.435 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.6-1.435.2.3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3'
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko) Invalid module format
failed.

It said something about fire gl not loaded or already loaded also... not sure...

Fedora Core 2/Fluxbox/Radeon 9100

Viro
10th July 2004, 11:29 PM
Did either of you go into text mode? You need to perform the command /sbin/init 3 to get into text mode and complete the installation. Once you've done that, do /sbin/init 5 to get back into X so you get all the lovely graphics.

DaKeeper
11th July 2004, 01:38 AM
Damn....

i can`t get it working.

Folowed the Tutorial here, but:

[root@linux tmp]# rpm -Uvh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
*** WARNING ***

failed.
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
*** WARNING ***

failed.
===
===

i thought okay....lets continue... and:

[root@linux build_mod]# patch -p1 -i /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
patching file make.sh

[root@linux build_mod]# sh make.sh
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
[root@linux build_mod]#

STRANGE!
:confused:

[root@linux build_mod]# cd ..
[root@linux fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
*** WARNING ***

failed.
[root@linux fglrx]#

:eek:

And Yes, i tried it in console mode....

Wtf i`m doing wrong???
[root@linux fglrx]# uname -a
Linux linux.local.de 2.6.6-1.435 #1 Mon Jun 14 09:09:07 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

[root@linux fglrx]# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.5-1.358
kernel-2.6.6-1.435
[root@linux fglrx]#

Would be nice if someone can tell me in noob style what to do.

micha
11th July 2004, 01:52 AM
I posted a thread a few behind yours with just about the same thing...

fglrx: version magic '2.6.6-1.435 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.6-1.435.2.3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3'
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko) Invalid module format
failed.

It said something about fire gl not loaded or already loaded also... not sure...

Fedora Core 2/Fluxbox/Radeon 9100
I have the same problem, and I don't know any workaround. So my solution is to stick with the last working kernel.

micha
11th July 2004, 01:54 AM
[root@linux build_mod]# patch -p1 -i /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2.patch
patching file make.sh

You didn't apply the good patch. Download the patch attached to the first post of this thread, and it should work.

micha
11th July 2004, 01:57 AM
Obviously, I did run the patch. I also tried grabbing fresh kernel-source via yum and put in the required smp-kernel link. Still doesn't work. Anybody got any ideas?
That's a problem due to SMP. I posted a workaround at this end of the how-to:

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435 /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435smp
you'll have to adapt the kernel version in the command above according to yours.

madmerlin
11th July 2004, 04:56 AM
So Micha... any idea why I'm getting the "DRM" error above? Does the patch and driver not work with "2.6.6-1.435.2.3"?

Do I need to go back to an earlier kernel... or look for posts on compiling my own kernel with ati-driver support?
I'm just worried that if I have to recompile the kernel... I'm going to have to do a lot more work to get my ipw2100 wireless card to work with the custom kernel as well.

And yes, Viro... I was in text mode when I tried to make the driver.

I mean the mesa driver I'm using now gets the job done... is the propietary ati driver that much better?

-Madmerlin
FC2 - 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
ATI Radeon M9
Dell Inspiron 600M

claisen
11th July 2004, 08:12 AM
Hey guys - great thread, thanks for the help. Here's my problem:

I've followed all the directions, and everything seems to have gone smoothly. HOWEVER, I can't restart X. I try "init 5" and the following message comes up after a few processes are started (automount, anacron, readahead being the last three):

"I cannot start the X server (your GUI). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem? (y,n)"

It then says "I will disable this X server for now. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly."

I'm then sent back to the command line. Any thoughts?

ilja
11th July 2004, 08:29 AM
what is the output?
(especially the last few lines)

DaKeeper
11th July 2004, 10:15 AM
Still no clue whats wrong...

ok now X starts but -->

[dakeeper@linux dakeeper]$ fglrxinfo

[dakeeper@linux dakeeper]$ glxinfo |grep direct

i`m going mad.... dunno whats still wrong here.

i added my X config and the Xorg.log in the attachement.

i would be pleased if somebody can help.

SilentBob
11th July 2004, 01:39 PM
I have the same problem, and I don't know any workaround. So my solution is to stick with the last working kernel.
What last working kernel?...I have 'one' kernel...

Did either of you go into text mode? You need to perform the command /sbin/init 3 to get into text mode and complete the installation. Once you've done that, do /sbin/init 5 to get back into X so you get all the lovely graphics.
Yes I went into text mode...I know how to read the instructions...I did everything it said... control alt backspace and X was gone, then I did all the steps in order.

... My original post...

ok, I tried to install an ati driver to play a game with 3d acel...I followed this guide... ---> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sh...ompiling+kernel And I installed the fglrx rpm file and got these errors ---> http://silentbob.politicalemergency.com/rpminstall.log But everything seemed to install so I proceeded.....and when it got to step 9 in the guide... the second make_install.sh file...I got these errors...---> http://silentbob.politicalemergency.com/foo.sh.log

bleh, no 3d acceleration == no games... I hate ati

claisen
11th July 2004, 01:53 PM
I got it figured out. Just played UT2004 and it's beautiful. Thanks to all for the help!

termleech
11th July 2004, 02:39 PM
I had the same problem, and I'm sure you guys like me didn't RTFM. Make sure to yum install kernel-source (I think it's called that). The problem is your current kernel source doesn't match the version you are running. Also, remove the /usr/src/linux symlink if it exists. I did both of these and it's working beautifully to get rid of the error about the wrong kernel version.

As for the error loading the libraries, a simple reboot fixed mine, however if you don't want to reboot, there are modules you can rmmod. Do a search on the forums, I found the answer here for the same problem.

Chuck

SilentBob
12th July 2004, 04:05 AM
I had the same problem, and I'm sure you guys like me didn't RTFM. Make sure to yum install kernel-source (I think it's called that). The problem is your current kernel source doesn't match the version you are running. Also, remove the /usr/src/linux symlink if it exists. I did both of these and it's working beautifully to get rid of the error about the wrong kernel version.

As for the error loading the libraries, a simple reboot fixed mine, however if you don't want to reboot, there are modules you can rmmod. Do a search on the forums, I found the answer here for the same problem.

Chuck

If you look at my thread, yes I installed the kernel source, I did 'rpm -q kernel; rpm -q kernel-sourcecode; and it shows both being installed and both being the same version.

And I also rebooted several times.

micha
12th July 2004, 11:16 AM
What last working kernel?...I have 'one' kernel...My last working kernel is the 2.6.6-1.435.2.1, which is available on the Fedora Core 2 updates server: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/i386/

madmerlin
12th July 2004, 07:35 PM
So Micha... does that mean you haven't tried kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.i686.rpm... or that you did try that kernel and it failed and you had to go back to 2.6.6-1.435.2.1.i686.rpm?

I'm still having troubles with the kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.i686 architecture.

The patch works great... the sh make.sh works well. But on the final sh make_install.sh... it's still failing...

"fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted
failed."

The installed kernel-sourcecode matches that of the kernel I'm using.

Any help would be appreciated... and like many others, pulling my hair out is only doing so much to sooth my frustrations. :)

Dell Inspiron 600M
Fedora Core 2
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3
ATI Radeon M9

Using files:
fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch

micha
12th July 2004, 09:17 PM
or that you did try that kernel and it failed and you had to go back to 2.6.6-1.435.2.1.i686.rpm?Yep, exactly.

SilentBob
13th July 2004, 02:47 AM
The patch works great... the sh make.sh works well. But on the final sh make_install.sh... it's still failing...

"fglrx:firegl_stub_register] *ERROR* Fire GL kernel module has to be loaded prior to any other DRM kernel module!
failed."

The installed kernel-sourcecode matches that of the kernel I'm using.

Same here...and same with a few others...that make_install.sh file has errors or something...But it just doesn't work.

madmerlin
13th July 2004, 04:09 AM
Okay... I'll try installing the 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernel and use that. In the meantime, any suggestions for 3rd party opengl drivers for the at radeon 9000 (m9)? :D

Problem now is... I'm not sure I can get my wireless card ipw2100 to work with the 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 ... so far I was only able to find rpm's for the 435.2.3 kernel... and for some reason... atrpms.net seems to be down for me.

Good times. :D

madmerlin
13th July 2004, 01:27 PM
Ok, I finally got the fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386 driver to work with my FC2 kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 ... I had to remove the mesa radeon driver from memory first with the command...

#rmmod radeon

After that, I reinstalled the fglrx rpm, and everything went very smoothly. Then I followed Micha's xorg.conf editing tips and everything is up and running perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's help! Appreciate it.

Who said learning linux was going to be easy. :D

micha
14th July 2004, 02:42 AM
Who said learning linux was going to be easy. :DWell, installing a driver, patching its source code, compiling it by hand, modifying config files, all in command line, is not that easy....

gotmonkey
14th July 2004, 03:30 AM
I am currently running kernel 2.6.5-1.358. I tried updating to the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 via up2date. It updated, then things went weird from there. Do I need to update Nvidia drivers before updating the ATI drivers?

Is there any real benefit to upgrading from kernel 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.6-1.435.2.3?
And the same question for the ATI drivers?
Can I just update the ATI drivers without updating my kernel?

micha
14th July 2004, 03:57 AM
Do I need to update Nvidia drivers before updating the ATI drivers?I would say yes, since you have a new kernel, you have to re-compile all the external drivers according to the new kernel.

Is there any real benefit to upgrading from kernel 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.6-1.435.2.3?If your current kernel works well, you don't need to update (of course I omit the security question).

Can I just update the ATI drivers without updating my kernel?Yep you can do that.

gotmonkey
14th July 2004, 04:34 AM
I would say yes, since you have a new kernel, you have to re-compile all the external drivers according to the new kernel.

If your current kernel works well, you don't need to update (of course I omit the security question).

Yep you can do that.

Hey Micha,
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. is security the big update between kernels? I guess the initial FC2 kernel spoiled me with having the forcedeth drivers installed for me. I noticed on nvidia's site that they have drivers for 2.4.x. Which means compiling drivers myself. I might just do the kernel update, nvidia update, and ATI driver install. I could use the practice. One thought though: If I do all this and it goes bunk, will my previos kernel retain all it's functionality?

As for just updating the ATI to my current kernel, do I use the same patch that you attached at the beginning of the post or do I go searching for different patches?

thanks

micha
14th July 2004, 05:15 AM
is security the big update between kernels? I guess so, almost all kernel updates are due to security problems. The updates shouldn't add/remove functionalities to the kernel (except security ones).
http://fedoranews.org/updates/FEDORA-2004-205.shtml

As for just updating the ATI to my current kernel, do I use the same patch that you attached at the beginning of the post or do I go searching for different patches?Yep, the patch should work for all the current 2.6.6 Fedora kernels.

gotmonkey
14th July 2004, 06:06 AM
Yep, the patch should work for all the current 2.6.6 Fedora kernels.

Actually what I meant referred to just installing the ATI driver under the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel

I will give it a try tonight after work and see how it goes with the updated kernel, nvidia drivers, and ATI drivers.

agi
14th July 2004, 08:14 AM
How do I copy sections from xorg.conf.org to xorg.conf?

I'm new to linux but have no idea how to do that NOT in GNOME.

Thanks

Harryc
14th July 2004, 08:30 AM
How do I copy sections from xorg.conf.org to xorg.conf?

I'm new to linux but have no idea how to do that NOT in GNOME.

Thanks You have to use an editor like vi. See this page (http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html) for commands. Pay particular attention to 'cut and paste' :).

agi
14th July 2004, 08:39 AM
When I do vi xorg.conf.org I get blank screen with blue things on the left. If I use emacs xorg.conf.org I get full file why?

Also, I can not even get into the GNOME anymore (probably due to not copying parts of xorg.conf.org to the new xorg.

agi
14th July 2004, 09:08 AM
Well, I do not have time to play with this anymore as this is my work computer. Now in order to go back to the FC2 driver (VESA) I deleted xorg.conf but my screen still is flickering as it was before and I can not get into GNOME.

Anyone?

It tells me that :

"I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It seems that the pointer device (your mouse) is not set up correctly"

I even changed to mouse from wireless Logitech to generic DELL mouse PS/2 just to see and nothing changed no matter which mouse I pick from the menu.

Please help to get me back to GNOME.

Harryc
14th July 2004, 09:25 AM
Assuming that you have a wireless/usb 5 button mouse, make the Core Pointer inputdevice section look like this -

Identifier "mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Harryc
14th July 2004, 09:34 AM
When I do vi xorg.conf.org I get blank screen with blue things on the left. If I use emacs xorg.conf.org I get full file why?

Also, I can not even get into the GNOME anymore (probably due to not copying parts of xorg.conf.org to the new xorg.There are three circumstances under which that may occur.

You were not logged on as root
You were not in the right directory
You mispelled the file name

pkraus109
15th July 2004, 05:33 AM
I have followed the howto to a tee. Great howto by the way very easy to follow.
I am running linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel on FC2 with everything pathech up
as of today. I had one issue when i did the make_install.sh it told me it
could load the module after another dpm module had loaded.
Rebooted and then just repeated the step. Everything worked perefctly.

I start up x (kde) open a command window and run glxinfo and all
the fun stuff is there with direct rendering and ATI all over the place.

I run glxgears and I get about 2 or 3 lines that tell me i am at about 1200 or so
fps. Thats seems slow in fact it seems as slow as the stock fc2 drivers.
then after the 2 or 3 line my system completely locks. I can move the mouse
but that it. I have to just shut the laptop off by holding down the power button
untill it reboots.

I looked of the xorg log file and this was the only thing i saw that looked out
of place.

(WW) fglrx(0): Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" is not used
(**) fglrx(0): Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

So three questions
how can I stop my machine from locking up when glxgears runs?
How can I make sure that it really is using the mobility since the fbs are so low?
i saw in a previous message (read the entier thread ) that with the mobility 9600
you have to keep it running in the stock res.. I have the ultra bright super duper
1600X1200 with my 8200. Does that mean I also have to be running in the stock 1600x1200
for everything to work?

FYI all tests and all work so far has been done in 1600x1200 just in case.

Paul Kraus

micha
15th July 2004, 05:37 AM
There a problem with the linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel in some configuration, please use the linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernel (or a vanilla kernel) available on the updates servers.

pkraus109
15th July 2004, 05:40 AM
crap.

Before the install to get everything setup so i knew for sure what kernel and what source
I was using i removed all the other kernels. How can downgrade to a previous kernel / source.

What is a "vanilla kernel"

Do I then do all steps starting over at step one.
I could skip the fglxconfig right and just use the xorg.conf file that I have now?

Wow that was the fastest reply I have ever seen!!

Paul

pkraus109
15th July 2004, 08:03 AM
OK i have removed all kernels excep 2.1. i could not get the source for this kernel via yum, apt, or up2date so i downloaded straight from the fedora site.

[pdk@pkraus pdk]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
kernel-sourcecode-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.131

now i made sure i was in init 3.
sh make.sh works without a hitch (after i removed the linux symlink from /usr/src)
I then cd ..
sh make_install.sh

[root@pkraus fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
- creating symlink
fglrx: version magic '2.6.6-1.435.2.3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.6-1.435.2.1 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3'
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.1/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Invalid module format
failed.

I have no idea whats going on. Its even ref the old kernel!! Please Help! :confused:

djf_jeff
15th July 2004, 09:14 AM
Try erasing fglrx.ko fglrx.o and fglrx.mod.o in build_mod/2.6.x

and fglrx.ko in build_mod.

Erase the fglrx.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

It work for me. After that, redo the make.sh and make_install.sh stuff

micha
15th July 2004, 09:54 AM
What is a "vanilla kernel"A vanilla kernel is an official kernel available at http://kernel.org (only as sources).

SilentBob
15th July 2004, 09:56 PM
Ok, I finally got the fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386 driver to work with my FC2 kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 ... I had to remove the mesa radeon driver from memory first with the command...

#rmmod radeon

After that, I reinstalled the fglrx rpm, and everything went very smoothly. Then I followed Micha's xorg.conf editing tips and everything is up and running perfectly.

Excellent tip...I couldn't get fglrx to install for many many days I was playing with X, and all I needed to do was 'rmmod radeon' thanks a lot madmerlin I appreciate the help...

Everything seems to have installed fine, and X actually loaded without using the old xorg.conf file...and using the one ati made....but I still can't run ut2004demo ...and I'm not sure if opengl is working right/enabled.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ ./ut2004demo
Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

History:

Exiting due to error
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ut2004demo crashed I guess....
Here is my xorg.conf file ----> silentbob.politicalemergency.com/xorg.conf
Here is my glxinfo printout file ----> silentbob.politicalemergency.com/glxinfo

I ran glxgears and everything appeared to run flawlessly...The three multi colored gears spun real fast...no problem...Any help why ut2004demo doesn't work will be much appreciated TIA!!!

2.6.6-1.435.2.3/FC2/fluxbox ... kernel source is installed

Mahnkiman
16th July 2004, 02:17 AM
I've gone nuts trying to install these drivers. Here's what I've done:

-Installed a clean copy of FC2
-Installed 2.6.6 kernel and rebooted with that kernel
-Installed kernel-sourcecode
-Downloaded and installed ATI driver RPM
-Applied patch attached in this thread
-Ran sh make.sh, which was successful with no errors

When I run sh make_install.sh, I get this:

[root@sakaki fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
- creating symlink
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): No such device
failed.

Notice that it's looking for fglrx.ko in the /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358 directory. Why is it looking there when I'm using the 2.6.6 kernel?

pkraus109
16th July 2004, 03:41 AM
Try erasing fglrx.ko fglrx.o and fglrx.mod.o in build_mod/2.6.x

and fglrx.ko in build_mod.

Erase the fglrx.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

This worked. I am now running the 2.6.6-1.435.2.1 kernel / source.
I rebooted everything worked appeared to be working. Glxinfo had the correcting
information. /proc/modules show that it was loading the correct module.

I run glxgears i get about three lines and my system compeletely locks.

Attached are my xorg.conf files, porc.modules, and glxinfo.txt.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Oh yea before it locks i get three lines all showing fps at about 1200.u

djf_jeff
16th July 2004, 04:07 AM
Personally, I dont use ATI generated xorg.conf. I use the RedHat one and merge some config with the ATI one.

I just merge the ATI Graphic Adapter Device section, the omit-dga thing and that's all.

I have attached my xorg.conf for you to see.

Apart than that, I dont see anything that may cause the lockup...

gotmonkey
16th July 2004, 05:21 AM
Thanks Micha, the guide worked like a charm. I have direct rendering.

do you know if there a guide somewhere referring to what options should be set to yes or no during the fglrxconfig?

SilentBob
16th July 2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks Micha, the guide worked like a charm. I have direct rendering.

do you know if there a guide somewhere referring to what options should be set to yes or no during the fglrxconfig?

...I don't have direct rendering I think I need that...What guide gotmonkey?

gotmonkey
16th July 2004, 01:28 PM
...I don't have direct rendering I think I need that...What guide gotmonkey?

I am referring to a guide that explains settings under the ATI. Here is my xorg.conf file. Some sort of config suggestions, like what would be the best options. My 9700pr generates about 3740 FPS in glxgears. I am wondering if the settings that I have are best for gaming & video playback. Or even which module is better to run glx or fglrx. I haven't come across anything like that an wondered if anyone has.

# === ATI device section ===

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter"
Driver "fglrx"
# ### generic DRI settings ###
# === disable PnP Monitor ===
#Option "NoDDC"
# === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
Option "no_accel" "no"
Option "no_dri" "no"
# === misc DRI settings ===
Option "mtrr" "off" # disable DRI mtrr mapper, driver has its own code for mtrr
# ### FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ###
# === Screen Management ===
Option "DesktopSetup" "0x00000000"
Option "MonitorLayout" "AUTO, AUTO"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "off"
Option "HSync2" "unspecified"
Option "VRefresh2" "unspecified"
Option "ScreenOverlap" "0"
# === TV-out Management ===
Option "NoTV" "yes"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
Option "TVHSizeAdj" "0"
Option "TVVSizeAdj" "0"
Option "TVHPosAdj" "0"
Option "TVVPosAdj" "0"
Option "TVHStartAdj" "0"
Option "TVColorAdj" "0"
Option "GammaCorrectionI" "0x80a0280a"
Option "GammaCorrectionII" "0x00000000"
# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
# will be disabled automatically
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
# === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
Option "CenterMode" "off"
# === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
# === QBS Management ===
Option "Stereo" "off"
Option "StereoSyncEnable" "1"
# === FSAA Management ===
Option "FSAAEnable" "no"
Option "FSAAScale" "1"
Option "FSAADisableGamma" "yes"
Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos" "no"
Option "FSAAMSPosX0" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY0" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX1" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY1" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX2" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY2" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX3" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY3" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX4" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY4" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX5" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY5" "0.000000"
# === Misc Options ===
Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
Option "ForceGenericCPU" "no"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0" # vendor=1002, device=4e44
Screen 0
EndSection

pkraus109
17th July 2004, 02:21 AM
Thats a good point. When I set mine up i just kind of entered through everything since
I didn't really understand what most of it was. What would be the settings to use to get
the most out of a mobility 9000 on an inspiron8200?

By the way my system no longer locks. I am not sure what I did to fix this but
it doesn't do it anymore.

[pdk@pkraus pdk]$ glxgears
5769 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1153.800 FPS
7151 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1430.200 FPS
7154 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1430.800 FPS
7152 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1430.400 FPS

This seems slow compared to the ratings you guys keep trowing out :)

Paul

amp_man
17th July 2004, 03:55 PM
Here's a link on howto make the ATI control panel work in FC2. I just did it and it works fine...you're not missing much though ;).

Sorry to work backwards here, but thanks. I'll get it going, just to see what I'm missing. Also, is there any huge benefit to updating the kernel? Currently I'm doing mostly OpenOffice work and playing RTCW, in single player cuz I can't get the net on linux anymore (stupid ISP). I'm still using a 2.6.5 kernel, not sure the exact numbers after that...

gotmonkey
17th July 2004, 04:34 PM
Here is something interesting. I compared my xorg.conf with my XF86Config-4.

Under Misc Options.
xorg.conf reports: "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
XF86Config-4 reports: "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"

I don't understand symlinks all that much, does this sound correct?

gotmonkey
17th July 2004, 04:58 PM
Here is something interesting. I compared my xorg.conf with my XF86Config-4.

Under Misc Options.
xorg.conf reports: "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
XF86Config-4 reports: "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"

I don't understand symlinks all that much, does this sound correct?

Something interesting. I changed my XF86Config-4 file to match my xorg.conf. I picked up approx 75fps in fgl_glxgears and approx 40fps in glxgears

[monkey@localhost monkey]$ fgl_glxgears
3137 frames in 5.0 seconds = 627.400 FPS
2801 frames in 5.0 seconds = 560.200 FPS
2777 frames in 5.0 seconds = 555.400 FPS
2798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 559.600 FPS
2794 frames in 5.0 seconds = 558.800 FPS
2805 frames in 5.0 seconds = 561.000 FPS
2798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 559.600 FPS
2780 frames in 5.0 seconds = 556.000 FPS
Broken pipe
[monkey@localhost monkey]$ glxgears
18008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3601.600 FPS
18801 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3760.200 FPS
18935 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3787.000 FPS
18929 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3785.800 FPS
18919 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3783.800 FPS
18933 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3786.600 FPS
Broken pipe

I think that it is time to fine tooth comb the two files and see where the differences are
:D

SilentBob
18th July 2004, 06:01 AM
gotmonkey what did you change in xorg.conf that gave you such better performance?

Forged
18th July 2004, 04:08 PM
Hi~
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting this crazy thing to work.
I followed the instructions down to the last period and still get the same error message in step 9.
I'm using Fedora 2, a Radeon 9000, and a Gateway VX900 monitor.
My kernel version is
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.1

Source:

Someone else had the same problem in a reply, and fixed it. But I've already got my kernel source code installed so his solution won't work for me :(.

Error #1
rpm -Uvh --replacefiles .....
================================================== =====================================
Preparing... ##################################################
fglrx ##################################################
*** WARNING ***

failed.
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.1/build/include/../drivers/ch
ar/drm do not fit this driver.
*** WARNING ***

failed.
===
===

================================================== =====================================

Error #2
sh make.sh
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.1/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.

Error #3
*** WARNING ***

failed.

System info:
rpm -qa |grep kernel
==============================
kernel-ntfs-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.131
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
==============================

But everything is still the same. I've tried the rmmod "radeon" and ran
rm -rf /lib/modules/fglrx
to clear out the directory. Nothin' seems to be working :(
If there is any other info that will help, please ask.

-Forged

[Edit]
I also did use the patch fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch.
patching file make.sh
Hunk #1 succeeded at 2019 (offset -47 lines)

micha
18th July 2004, 09:20 PM
Alright here is the trick. You have edit the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/make.sh file, and change line 176 (for me at least - do a search for 'drmincludes=') to:

drmincludes=/usr/src/linux-${uname_r}/drivers/char/drm

This also seems to correct the problem with the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel (since now it works for me with this kernel).

zeus
18th July 2004, 11:26 PM
Everything is ok until i go back to init 5.
My Screen goes blank. Any idea wich part of xorg that need to fix?
I have check all section and didn't find any errors, not even in log file.

Right now i boot with init 3 :/ and trying to figure out whats wrong with X...

Harryc
18th July 2004, 11:31 PM
Alright here is the trick. You have edit the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/make.sh file, and change line 176 (for me at least - do a search for 'drmincludes=') to:

drmincludes=/usr/src/linux-${uname_r}/drivers/char/drm

This also seems to correct the problem with the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel (since now it works for me with this kernel).Thanks for this Micha, now I'll have to try it :). Question, if I already have working 3d acceleration on the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel, I just run steps 1 through 9 (plus this new step 8a?) on the 2.6.6-1.435-2.3 kernel, correct? Or do I also have to;

Erase fglrx.ko fglrx.o and fglrx.mod.o in build_mod/2.6.x and fglrx.ko in build_mod. Erase the fglrx.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

If all these extra steps are needed, may I suggest a Howto: Part B - "Upgrading Kernels"

Pinky
19th July 2004, 01:37 AM
Hello everryone,

I've tried every single idee I found to get my Radeon 9100 working with FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.3) But no hope anymore..

The fglrx-driver seems to work:

# fglrxinfo
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9100 DDR Generic

$ dmesg | grep agpgart
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 845G Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe8000000
Based on agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected an Intel 845G Chipset, no integrated grapics found.
agpgart: Detected Intel i845 G/GL/GV/GE/PE chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe8000000

# glxinfo | grep direct

Enemy Territory works fine :confused: but Americas Army and UT2004 don't start - only the splash-screen

AAO:
/home/bin/armyops/armyops
Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".

Developer Backtrace:
[ 1] ./armyops-bin [0x856f561]
[ 2] [0x55000420]
[ 3] ./armyops-bin(SetVertexStreams__22FOpenGLRenderInterface13EV ertexShaderPP13FVertexStreami+0x567) [0x86b778b]
[ 4] ./armyops-bin(Render__12FBspDrawListP15FLevelSceneNodeP16FRe nderInterface+0x5ae) [0x84d370a]
[ 5] ./armyops-bin(RenderLevel__FP15FLevelSceneNodeP16FRenderInte rface+0x235c) [0x82c73a0]
[ 6] ./armyops-bin(Render__15FLevelSceneNodeP16FRenderInterface+0 x8f5) [0x82a5d65]
[ 7] ./armyops-bin(Render__16FPlayerSceneNodeP16FRenderInterface+ 0x368) [0x82a9fec]
[ 8] ./armyops-bin(Draw__11UGameEngineP9UViewportiPUcPi+0x3c2) [0x81d215e]
[ 9] ./armyops-bin(Repaint__12USDLViewporti+0x27) [0x86acd3f]
[10] ./armyops-bin(Tick__10USDLClient+0x79) [0x86aa565]
[11] ./armyops-bin(Tick__11UGameEnginef+0x2934) [0x81d7a34]
[12] ./armyops-bin(SDL_SetVideoMode+0x82d) [0x811f90d]
[13] ./armyops-bin(main+0x5947) [0x8128f57]
[14] /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe4) [0x12ead4]
[15] ./armyops-bin(readdir+0x91) [0x811f1a1]
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.

Speicherzugriffsfehler

ut2004:
$ ut2004
WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.

Crash information will be saved to your logfile. UT2004.log:

Log: Log file open, Sun Jul 18 14:10:17 2004
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Version: 3236 (127.29)
Init: Compiled: Jun 20 2004 09:32:48
Init: Command line:
Init: (This is Linux patch version 3236.1)
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: /usr/local/games/ut2004/System/
Init: Ini:UT2004.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Patch_[2004-06-11_16.51]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Warning: Missing Class Class Editor.TransBuffer
Log: Initializing OpenGLDrv...
Log: binding libGL.so.1
Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 16.740393...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Browse: NvidiaLogo.ut2
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 33206->33205; refs: 343609
Log: Game class is 'CinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level NvidiaLogo.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 20.152764...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Created and initialized a new SDL viewport.
Log: ALAudio: Using ALC_EXT_capture to record audio.
ScriptLog: New Player Player id=710391029ff35d7df324660e7a8e1d13
Log: TTS: No output filename specified.
Log: Enter SetRes: 800x600 Fullscreen 1
Log: OpenGL
Log: GL_VENDOR : ATI Technologies Inc.
Log: GL_RENDERER : RADEON 9100 DDR Generic
Log: GL_VERSION : 1.3 (X4.3.0-3.9.0)
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_EXT_bgra
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_texture_compression
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_multitexture
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ATI_vertex_array_object
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ATI_element_array
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ATI_map_object_buffer
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
Log: OpenGL: C32 RGB888 Z24 S0
Log: OpenGL: Level of anisotropy is 1.000000 (max 16.000000).
Log: OpenGL: Not using multisample
Log: Startup time: 23.008783 seconds
Log: Precaching: NvidiaLogo.LevelInfo0
Log: Static mesh batches: 508608 vertex bytes, 110460 index bytes
Log:
Developer Backtrace:
Log: [ 1] ./ut2004-bin [0x85a6a61]
Log: [ 2] [0x55000420]
Log: [ 3] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN22FOpenGLRenderInterface16SetVertexStreamsE 13EVertexShaderPP13FVertexStreami+0x229) [0x8705499]
Log: [ 4] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN12FBspDrawList6RenderEP15FLevelSceneNodeP16 FRenderInterface+0x250) [0x850f400]
Log: [ 5] ./ut2004-bin(_Z11RenderLevelP15FLevelSceneNodeP16FRenderInt erface+0xeb0) [0x8331660]
Log: [ 6] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN15FLevelSceneNode6RenderEP16FRenderInterfac e+0x66c) [0x831899c]
Log: [ 7] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN16FPlayerSceneNode6RenderEP16FRenderInterfa ce+0x1da) [0x831cd2a]
Log: [ 8] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN11UGameEngine4DrawEP9UViewportiPhPi+0x9bb) [0x823fa9b]
Log: [ 9] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN12USDLViewport7RepaintEi+0x56) [0x86f6d96]
Log: [10] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN10USDLClient4TickEv+0x159) [0x86f4fb9]
Log: [11] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN11UGameEngine4TickEf+0x517) [0x8244237]
Log: [12] ./ut2004-bin(_ZN9CMainLoop7RunLoopEv+0x108) [0x815a3c8]
Log: [13] ./ut2004-bin [0x8151def]
Log: [14] ./ut2004-bin(main+0x2c72) [0x814de32]
Log: [15] /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe4) [0x12ead4]
Log: [16] ./ut2004-bin(getlogin+0xad) [0x814af91]
Log: Unreal Call Stack: FOpenGLVertexStreamATI_VAO::Cache <- FOpenGLRenderInterface::SetVertexStreams <- FBspDrawList::Render <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- USDLViewport::Repaint <- USDLClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 56 MByte 498 KByte 401 Bytes from HD took 14.098566 seconds (6.420210 reading, 7.678355 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.000000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Allocation checking disabled
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Sun Jul 18 14:10:41 2004

xorg.conf is attached...

The rest of my system:
Dell OptiPlex GX260
P4 - 1,8GHz
512MB RAM
SB Live! - Sound onboard disabled
Hauppauge WinTV

Every singel hint to solve this problem will be a great plaesure for me ;)

Thanks

micha
19th July 2004, 08:52 AM
I have updated the patch on the first post to add the little modification posted above.

micha
19th July 2004, 08:58 AM
Question, if I already have working 3d acceleration on the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel, I just run steps 1 through 9 (plus this new step 8a?) on the 2.6.6-1.435-2.3 kernel, correct?After upgrading to a new kernel, you just have to recompile the ATI driver (step 9) and that's it. Make sure the kernel-sourcecode package has also been updated before.

micha
19th July 2004, 09:00 AM
Everything is ok until i go back to init 5.
My Screen goes blank. Any idea wich part of xorg that need to fix?
I have check all section and didn't find any errors, not even in log file.

Right now i boot with init 3 :/ and trying to figure out whats wrong with X...
I guess it's a problem with the monitor configuration (scanlines, refresh rates,...)

Harryc
19th July 2004, 11:08 AM
After upgrading to a new kernel, you just have to recomplie the ATI driver (step 9) and that's it. Make sure the kernel-sourcecode package has also been updated before. You are 100% correct. Just ran step 9 after loading the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel sourcecode and am back up on 3d acelleration. That was so easy it was scary :). Thanks Micha.

Forged
19th July 2004, 01:38 PM
Sweet :)
Everything with the configuration ran smoothly. ^^
Thank you~~~~~~~~~

But now I have a new problem:
If I switch resolutions (go to full screen in games), or move from (CTRL+ALT+F7) X to a (C+A+F1)konsole and back to (C+A+7) X my monitor becomes extremely distorted and never recovers.
I have to restart X to fix it using CTRL+ALT+Backspace.

I don't have any idea what would cause this~

Has anyone else experienced this Q_Q?

Forged
19th July 2004, 01:55 PM
Ok nevermind the last post~ Switching between konsoles doesn't seem to cause it. My mistake :/
I think it's an issue with neverwinter nights. I will head over to their forums~

Thanks again, Micha. You are truly doing a great job helping Fedora users ^^

Devi0s
19th July 2004, 05:27 PM
http://www.rage3d.org/board/showthread.php?t=33763905&page=3&pp=30&highlight=nforce2

Ok, I had kernel-sources installed, but not kernel-sourcecode. Installing it made the described update process work.

However, glxgears = crappy performance. Something like 6 fps @ 1024x768. What there an opengl command I am missing or something?

I am running an AtlhonXP 3200+ and Radeon 9800 on an NVidia NForce2 chipset with:
2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 08:36:21 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Running latest version of xorg available via yum -c (fedorafaq yum.conf) update...

Excerpts from my Xorg log file:

[drm] failed to load kernel module "agpgart"
[drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *

Could my problem be that AGP isn't working correctly on my NForce2 chipset on a 2.6.x kernel? (No nvidia driver available for this combo from what I can tell...)

- Devi0s

Avatraxiom
19th July 2004, 11:13 PM
Hey micha -- So you know, I've actually linked from the FAQ directly to your attachment. :-)

So, if you are going to upload a new attachment and replace the old one, let me know. :-) vBulletin changes the URL when you do upload a new attachment.

-Max

gotmonkey
20th July 2004, 12:12 AM
gotmonkey what did you change in xorg.conf that gave you such better performance?

XF86Config-4 reports: "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"

that is all that I changed

LudViche
20th July 2004, 01:55 AM
Hello guys !
Does anybody here knows how to install the ati drivers 3.9.0 with a 2.6.7-492 kernel and Gcc 3.4?

micha
20th July 2004, 02:02 AM
Hey micha -- So you know, I've actually linked from the FAQ directly to your attachment. :-)

So, if you are going to upload a new attachment and replace the old one, let me know. :-) vBulletin changes the URL when you do upload a new attachment.

-Max
Oooops sorry about that. I've updated the patch yesterday. Next time I keep you informed :)

pms
20th July 2004, 03:35 AM
Hello everybody,

just a few additional remarks about this fglrx-3.9.0 driver and the 2.6.6 kernel. Following Micha's
how-to, everything works fine provided that one does not miss any step (like installing the kernel
sources or going to runlevel 3).
For example, "Error inserting fglrx ... operation not permitted" is usually due to the fact that the
driver is currently loaded like in runlevel 5. In that case, don't forget the "init 3" before doing anything.

Somebody also mentionned that the ATI Control Panel does not work with 3.9.0 and kernel 2.6.6 . I ran into the same issue, so I went back installing this driver with the original Fedora 2 kernel version,
i.e. 2.6.5-1.358 . In that case the patches to apply are different, they can be found in the
http://www.rage3d.com forum. With that compilation the ATI Control Panel works, even when booting with the 2.6.6 kernel.

Now, a issue remains on my side. I installed this driver to drive the TV output. It almost works, except
that it only accepts the Clone mode, which is a little trouble because the TV screen size is not supposed to be the same as the monitor size (=1280x1024). And also it systematically starts with the TV standard set to "NTSC" instead of "PAL" that I specify in /etc/X11/xorg.conf . However you can switch to PAL mode through the ATI Control Panel (that's why it has to work !).

If someone is facing the same issue, welcome to share...

gotmonkey
20th July 2004, 08:31 AM
http://www.rage3d.org/board/showthread.php?t=33763905&page=3&pp=30&highlight=nforce2

Ok, I had kernel-sources installed, but not kernel-sourcecode. Installing it made the described update process work.

However, glxgears = crappy performance. Something like 6 fps @ 1024x768. What there an opengl command I am missing or something?

I am running an AtlhonXP 3200+ and Radeon 9800 on an NVidia NForce2 chipset with:
2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 08:36:21 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Running latest version of xorg available via yum -c (fedorafaq yum.conf) update...

Excerpts from my Xorg log file:

[drm] failed to load kernel module "agpgart"
[drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *

Could my problem be that AGP isn't working correctly on my NForce2 chipset on a 2.6.x kernel? (No nvidia driver available for this combo from what I can tell...)

- Devi0s

Unless I am wrong (somebody correct me, if I am). You are running the wrong kernel. The SMP is for dual cpu systems, AMD64's, and P4 w/HT. A straight forward AMD XP on a nforce 2 board, shouldn't be running a smp kernel. If I recall, there are problems with getting direct render working with a smp kernel.

pms
22nd July 2004, 01:27 AM
Unless I am wrong (somebody correct me, if I am). You are running the wrong kernel. The SMP is for dual cpu systems, AMD64's, and P4 w/HT. A straight forward AMD XP on a nforce 2 board, shouldn't be running a smp kernel. If I recall, there are problems with getting direct render working with a smp kernel.

Yes, I confirm, I had the same thing. You need to compile the fglrx module for both versions of the kernel, SMP and not-SMP. Then it will work fine. You just need to re-run "sh make.sh" and "sh make_install.sh" after booting on the SMP kernel.

WaR_RioR
22nd July 2004, 12:29 PM
Hi PPL !!!

Very Thanks Micha for your How-To!! :D :D

[war_rior@war_rior]$ uname -r
2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp

[war_rior@war_rior]$ glxinfo | grep direct
[war_rior@war_rior]$ glxgears
19651 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3930.200 FPS
22919 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4583.800 FPS
22153 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4430.600 FPS
22656 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4531.200 FPS
22658 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4531.600 FPS
22657 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4531.400 FPS
22653 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4530.600 FPS
22653 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4530.600 FPS
22647 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4529.400 FPS
22658 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4531.600 FPS

[[]]

Ati 9800pro
:cool:

vuerro
23rd July 2004, 03:51 AM
Hi! i'm sorry but I haven't got it yet.. and I really(* 10) want to get this working

I have a ATi 9800 pro and a Via KT333 chipset
FC2 running, Kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
followed the fedoraFAQ instuctions only to get a dark screen when "init 5"
kernel-sourcecode is installed

fglrxconfig
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

I have no apparent vga module loaded, no via-agp and no agpgart module !?

replacing xorg.conf to original lets me get back in x, where I can load fglrx (/sbin/modprobe fglrx)
but that doesn't help me at all..

help would be appreciated, ask me anything :D

vuerro
23rd July 2004, 09:20 AM
:continue: @home

started in init 3 at boot
logged in as root
run fgrlxconfig (I already did everyting precise as the first post says before that step)
I didn't even ln -sf the XF86 file to xorg.conf

(one how-to around "here/." said configuring fglrxconfig; be mindful of the questions. hearing Yoda speak to me how could I not be mindful ^_^)
I tried to start agpgart
/sbin/insmod
can't read: no such File or Dir
/sbin/modprobe
can't find it <-- no really..

fglrxinfo:
unable to open display: 0

here we go..
init 5
black screen (again..)
no response to keyboard, and no rebooting x
reset computer - init 3 - cp xorg blabla - start x

and here I am
:help:

currently exploring the xorg thing for anything resembling agpgart or my via-agp chipset driver, I think it's in there,
I'll report back when I have some fps or when I understand it more but still don't know what to do, I havent seen this problem yet..

vuerro

(edit): the xorg.conf file looks goot :whaps head: X11R6.. new search

Thetargos
23rd July 2004, 09:45 AM
Wy didn't you link the generated fglrxconfig XF86Config-4 file to xorg.conf? That I do not understand... And what arguments did you pass to /sbin/insmod and /sbin/modprobe? Usually the arguments for those commands are options followed by a module name.

currently exploring the xorg thing for anything resembling agpgart or my via-agp chipset driver, I think it's in there,
I'll report back when I have some fps or when I understand it more but still don't know what to do, I havent seen this problem yet..
You won't find anything AGP related there. And since the stock FC2 kernels have AGPGART and the chipset support compiled into the kernel `/sbin/lsmod | grep agp` won't list them.

Just curious, what AGP driver are you using in conjuction with the fglrx driver (internal or external module) in the X config?

vuerro
23rd July 2004, 10:00 AM
ping..

I don't know the answer to that question

[root@casper root]# /sbin/lsmod
Module Size Used by
vfat 9984 0
fat 33600 1 vfat
nls_utf8 1536 3
ntfs 98160 3
snd_cmipci 25124 1
snd_opl3_lib 7424 1 snd_cmipci
gameport 3328 1 snd_cmipci
snd_mpu401_uart 4864 1 snd_cmipci
snd_mixer_oss 13824 2
snd_emu10k1 71560 3
snd_rawmidi 17444 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm 69256 2 snd_cmipci,snd_emu10k1
snd_timer 17284 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm
snd_seq_device 6152 3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 54788 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc 8072 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 3200 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 6276 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_emu10k1
snd 39396 16 snd_cmipci,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
soundcore 6112 3 snd
ipv6 184672 10
parport_pc 19392 1
lp 8236 0
parport 29640 2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4 12932 0
sunrpc 109924 1
8139too 17920 0
mii 3584 1 8139too
ipt_REJECT 4736 1
ipt_state 1536 2
ip_conntrack 24968 1 ipt_state
iptable_filter 2176 1
ip_tables 13568 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
sg 27680 0
dm_mod 32800 0
sd_mod 16384 0
usb_storage 53576 0
scsi_mod 91984 3 sg,sd_mod,usb_storage
joydev 6976 0
ehci_hcd 22916 0
usblp 9472 0
uhci_hcd 24472 0
button 4632 0
battery 6924 0
asus_acpi 8984 0
ac 3340 0
ext3 103656 2
jbd

I was about to try X -configure, good idea?

vuerro
23rd July 2004, 11:30 AM
I read somewhere that it had everything to do with my chipset
even so I have read that the chipset did not support 24bit color-depth

i run fglrxconfig again, wanting to change the colordepth to 32 (is that possible or is 16 recomended?)
startx

(EE)R200PreInit failed
(EE)Screens found but none have a usable config

this time the screen didn't go blank but gave me an error and a promt
I went looking in /var/X.0.log

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
is the first warning

this I think is the most important

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

but the log also states

(II) fglrx(0): DDC detected on DDCType 3 with Monitor Type 1
(II) fglrx(0): Primary head:
Monitor -- NONE
Connector -- DVI-I
DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
TMDS Type -- Internal
DDC Type -- DVI_DDC
(II) fglrx(0): Secondary head:
Monitor -- CRT
Connector -- VGA
DAC Type -- Primary
TMDS Type -- NONE
DDC Type -- VGA_DDC
(II) fglrx(0): EDID data from the display on Secondary head ---------------------------
(II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer: SNY Model: 1970 Serial#: 16843009

:confused:

micha
24th July 2004, 09:08 AM
I don't know what could be wrong with your config, Vuerro. You should do again the how-to from zero (including removing any previous ATI driver), and please read it carefully. There's a more understandable version of if at http://fedorafaq.org. Then you can try the external AGP by the setting the following option in the device section of the xorg.conf file:
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"By the way, the ATI driver only supports 24 bits color depth. Since you get a black screen when you init 5, I guess it's a problem with the Monitor or the Screen section of Xorg config file.

Bear Knuckle
27th July 2004, 04:50 AM
I've done the things described in the tutorial.
But I still don't have the fglrx-driver at work.

Here the output of fglrxinfo:

I attached the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.

I hope somebody can explain to me, why the mesa-driver is still used.

Any help is regarded!

Greetings,

BK

edit: I think I found the problem. I am using a nForce2-Chipset, but don't have the drivers installed. That's what I should do I think. Will try that.

Thetargos
27th July 2004, 09:38 AM
For what I can tell from the log, the driver cannot intialize the AGP memory range. If you are using the stock Fedora kernels, the drivers for your nForce2 AGP chipset are compiled into the kernel image (not as a separate module). When I took a look at your xorg.conf file, the problem is located here:

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"

Change the "yes" for "no", and you should have 3D acceleration. You are trying to use the Internal AGP code of the fglrx driver (though based on the agpgart code, has differences, but it does not currently support the nForce2 chipset, so you have to use the external AGPGART driver (the one in the kernel). Changing this option to "no", does this.

Bear Knuckle
27th July 2004, 10:04 AM
For what I can tell from the log, the driver cannot intialize the AGP memory range. If you are using the stock Fedora kernels, the drivers for your nForce2 AGP chipset are compiled into the kernel image (not as a separate module). When I took a look at your xorg.conf file, the problem is located here:

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"

Change the "yes" for "no", and you should have 3D acceleration. You are trying to use the Internal AGP code of the fglrx driver (though based on the agpgart code, has differences, but it does not currently support the nForce2 chipset, so you have to use the external AGPGART driver (the one in the kernel). Changing this option to "no", does this.

This doesn't help. It's still the same behaviour.

Thetargos
27th July 2004, 10:07 AM
Did you only restart the session or shut down and restarted X? You will need to shut down and restart X for the change to take effect (unloading the driver). If you did restart X (by reboot or chaning runlevels), then you may want to consider to re-build the kernel with agpsupprt as mdoule instead than into the kernel.

Bear Knuckle
27th July 2004, 08:19 PM
Did you only restart the session or shut down and restarted X? You will need to shut down and restart X for the change to take effect (unloading the driver). If you did restart X (by reboot or chaning runlevels), then you may want to consider to re-build the kernel with agpsupprt as mdoule instead than into the kernel.

Never thought about a reboot. Left that in the M$world, but you are right. I think the module should have been loaded first, what the reboot did.

It's working fine now!

Thx for help!

vuerro
27th July 2004, 11:28 PM
I started over from start..
blank screen

It doesn't help switching over the UseInternalAgpgart opion
I still get a blank screen

the log file is telling me it can't load the agpgart module (even when InternalAgpgart is enabled)

shoudn't I be able to load an agpgart module anyway? same goes for the via_agp module, it's not there..

could it conflict with installed Mesa packages?

Thetargos
28th July 2004, 11:06 AM
I started over from start..
blank screen

It doesn't help switching over the UseInternalAgpgart opion
I still get a blank screen

the log file is telling me it can't load the agpgart module (even when InternalAgpgart is enabled)

shoudn't I be able to load an agpgart module anyway? same goes for the via_agp module, it's not there..

could it conflict with installed Mesa packages?
Maybe, but only if you installed Mesa after installing the drivers, which would mean an overwritten libGL. You could restore the driver's libGL if you open the rpm file in File-Roller and just extract the needed file, however this would be a long shot, since we don't know for sure if this is the problem or not. As for AGP support, I'd strongly advise to re-build the kernel with agp support as modules instead than into the kernel.

goddva
29th July 2004, 03:04 AM
Stupid me.. I have been struggeling with this DRM error:

After installing the kernel-sourcecode I had the same problem. But the problem was that I downloaded the wrong kernel-sourcecode.

So I did a uname..

uname -a
Then I saw my kernel version. I downloaded the correct kernel-sourcecode rpm, and now everything was working... :)

This forum is very good! Thnx for the help!!

soka
29th July 2004, 11:19 AM
1., I read the whole forum stuff form A till Z
2., I tried to configure everything step by step
3., got it partly working ...

uname -r : 2.6.6-1.435.2.3custom # based on one of Michas answer this should be ok with his patch ----> if not than I would guess I have to go back to an other kernel version :D

glxinfo | grep direct : direct rendering: Yes

OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9600 Generic

/var/log/Xorg.0.log --> (WW) fglrx(0): Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" is not used

glxgears
257 frames in 5.0 seconds = 51.400 FPS
297 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.400 FPS
298 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.600 FPS
297 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.400 FPS

as you can see the FPS really sux ...

Any idea, suggestion would be welcomed! ;o)

Regards
Soka

jwiz
4th August 2004, 08:33 PM
Just for the sake of it:

I just upgraded to the latest a.m. kernel and rebuild the fglrx module with the fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.ptach appplied and it worked.
glxinfo | grep direct = yes :)

Thanks so far to all involved.

jwiz

Forged
5th August 2004, 12:59 AM
Hello again everyone :)
I figured I'd come back here and ask, since you guys seem to know a lot about the subject.

I'm still having issues with my monitor becoming randomly distorted when I switch into fullscreen mode.

It happens with ANY application / game that tries to take full screen mode.
It says it is using the correct refresh rates for my monitor and everything.
I get no errors or anything, and I have direct rendering support.

I'm curious, what could cause the ATI 3.9.0 driver to do that under FC2?

Any suggestions?

rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3
kernel-ntfs-2.6.6-1.435.2.3
kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.131

micha
6th August 2004, 09:01 AM
The ATI driver has been updated, and so has its patch for Fedora. I've created a new thread about this driver:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20211

Littlejia
11th August 2004, 01:45 AM
[root@Deadforg down]# rpm -Uvh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.9.0.i386.rpm
*** WARNING ***

failed.
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
*** WARNING ***

failed.
===
===
[root@Deadforg down]# ln -s /usr/src/linux-`uname -r | sed s/smp$//` /usr/src/linux-`uname -r`
ln: `/usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3/linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3': File exists
[root@Deadforg down]# cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
[root@Deadforg build_mod]# patch -p1 -i /tmp/fglrx-3.9.0-fc2-2.6.6.patch
patching file make.sh
[root@Deadforg build_mod]# sh make.sh
initializing...
Error:
XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.

RandyS
18th August 2004, 01:54 AM
I followed the instructions (everyone says that, right?:) ) found in this and other threads. I don't seem to have a problem compiling the module, rather I cannot insert it. It is as if the system doesn't recognize the ATI card.
FC2, no updates on a Soyo 845 MB with Radeon 9550 card.

[root@randys fglrx]# sh make_install.sh
- creating symlink
fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[fglrx:firegl_init] *ERROR* Device not found!
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): No such device
failed.

If I try manually to insert it:
[root@randys ati]# /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko': -1 No such device

Note the 'no such device' message.

Additionally, xorg will only 'detect' and allow the use of the VESA driver.
lspci shows the following output regarding video devices:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4153
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4173

Ideas?

Randy

krazibon3
19th August 2004, 06:42 PM
I have a similar problem as post #168 and changed the value to "no" in the UseinternalAGP part but nothing
has happened. I went into true console (ctrl-alt-f1) and init 3 to change the value and then init 5 back into X-windows. But still it displays:

[mike@Mike X11]$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_EXT_import_context

i'm still getting below 500 fps wheni run glxgers, i've successfully installed the ATI driver as it appears in the control panel in X-windows saying that i've got the 3.11.1 driver. Is there another reason why 3d rendering isn''t working?

Here is a copy of my xorg.conf file if you wish to view it.

Zako
22nd October 2004, 03:09 AM
I've done what has been suggested in here and I get a few errors still when all is done..
The error pops up when I get to the "windows" main screen.

"Error activating XKB configuration."
"Probably internal X server problem"

"X server version data:"
"The X.Org Foundation"
"60700000"

Results of xprop -root | grep XKB

# xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc104", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc104", "us", "", ""

I imagine based on the info it gives me that it doesnt like something about my keyboard setup but I'm not sure where to being fixing this error. I am still able to use the keyboard without any problems though.

Thetargos
22nd October 2004, 09:22 PM
You are using the default generated XF86Config-4 file from fglrxconfig, are you? That file has an option you have to change in order to get it to work right with Xorg. In the section input, where you select your keyboard layout and stuff, make sure that the Opetion "XkbRules" "xfree86" is changed to "xorg".