PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove Software need Internet connection

ziko
9th September 2007, 11:16 AM
I installed F7 from a live CD when i opened Add/Remove software from the application menu an error message appeared telling me that this may be due to lacking internet connection. Is it essential to have internet connection to run this utility. And Where can i see a list of installed applications on my pc

Thanks in Advance

muep
9th September 2007, 01:05 PM
The Add/Remove software is designed so that it kind of expects you to have an internet connection. It is a front end to Yum, so all of its functions and more can be accessed with the Yum package management program.

You can make a local package repository for Fedora, but I don't know enough about it to help you. Fedora's habit of having a lot of updates also isn't an advantage when you are short of an internet connection.

I'd recommend trying Debian, if you want to have access to a lot of software without being connected. They offer all the packages in their repositories on 3 DVDs, though you mostly need only one of them. They also set up the system so that it is very easy to use packages from the DVDs even after installation.

The software in Debian isn't as recent as in Fedora, though.

ziko
10th September 2007, 05:49 AM
Sorry,
I know Debian and don't want it. One of my questions was can i show all the installed applications on my pc as i installed fedora 7 from live CD KDE ? and what utility i can use?

for example a visual yum program is yumex but i don't know if it is installed or not?

brr872002
10th September 2007, 07:36 AM
Sorry,
I know Debian and don't want it. One of my questions was can i show all the installed applications on my pc as i installed fedora 7 from live CD KDE ? and what utility i can use?

for example a visual yum program is yumex but i don't know if it is installed or not?

yum -y info installed yumex

yum -y search yumex

rpm -q

To create local repos

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Creating-a-Local-Update-Repository-for-FC6-43559.shtml

aleph
10th September 2007, 09:23 PM
hello
I think you can run

rpm -qa | less
to see every rpm installed on your computer. to find some specific ones whose names match a PATTERN, run

rpm -qa | grep PATTERN
if nothing showes up, it is not found on the computer, -- or it is there but not handled by rpm