PDA

View Full Version : News Reader Recommendations

Sanuk
8th September 2007, 07:56 PM
Hi All

Just over a year ago I made my first post to this forum asking about sharing e-mail and a news reader between win and Lin on a dual boot system. Now I'm up and running again I'm not bothered about the windows side (I don't spend that much time there) but I'm expecting a nice shiny new laptop in the next few days (from Dell so unless I can talk them round it will have ubutnoo, or however you spell it, on it until I get around changing it to Fedora 8)

The question is how do I sync NNTP on my desktop with the new laptop?

What reader would be best to use? NOTE: I prefer rules to scores, I've never quite understood the point of scoring, I just want to say if this guy posts ignore him, if the subject has xxx in it ignore that too.

Mail isn't a problem, I intend to just get the laptop to download the mail but not delete it from the server (I don't get so much mail I cant quickly sort it by hand when I get home). But as I sub to several NewsGroups I don't want to have to keep finding my place every time I swap from one machine to the other.

Recommendations Please.

-S

PatMcLJr
9th September 2007, 03:34 PM
maybe just keep it all web based?
use web mail for the e-mail and use the google groups, or supernews, or something?

Then you don't have to deal with it and you'll be in sync all the time.

but then you don't have a choice of a new client. I like to use pan but it seems like the techy types prefer slrn

Sanuk
9th September 2007, 05:02 PM
maybe just keep it all web based?
use web mail for the e-mailI don't like web-mail interfaces, and mail isn't a big problem anyway.

and use the google groups, or supernews, or something?web based news is worse than web based mail from what I've seen of it. I tried google groups a while ago and to be honest would rather go without news groups than be forced to use that again.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway though.

-S

PatMcLJr
11th September 2007, 03:28 PM
I just came across this
http://www.summersault.com/community/weblog/2006/07/20/five-power-tips-for-thunderbird.html

maybe it would be an idea?

strikeforce
11th September 2007, 03:56 PM
Pan Newsreader?

yum -y install pan

PatMcLJr
11th September 2007, 04:08 PM
just compile the current version

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

Sanuk
11th September 2007, 05:37 PM
Pan Newsreader?

yum -y install pan
I've used pan before and it's OK, but what do I do to keep the desktop and laptop synchronised?

-S

sailor
11th September 2007, 06:00 PM
I use Pan to read & respond and Thunderbird to post files....I hope file posting gets added to Pan, one of these days :(

strikeforce
12th September 2007, 01:26 AM
The only thing I can think off to keep synchronized is thunderbird but I'm not 100% sure it can even do it.

Another way is to use RSSowl which is a news reader as well.

RupertPupkin
12th September 2007, 06:52 AM
I'd go with Alpine (ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/alpine), that way you'd have your mail client and newsreader in one program. It can use a remote config file, which would help with synchronization among different machines.