PDA

View Full Version : mplayer slow?

Kixdemp
8th September 2007, 05:35 AM
Hello everyone!

I've got my Linux spirit back. :)

I have some videos, around 300 MB, 20 mins. Well, I try to play them on Totem but it's missing plugins. So I yum'd mplayer. That works, but the video's slow... Like, video and audio were way apart.

Any fix for this?

This is an AMD Athlon 1600+ (1.4 gigas) with 512 megs'o'ram running Fedora 7. I just recently upgraded my video card to a PCI 64-meg Sapphire Atlantis 7000 (ATI Radeon).

Any ideas? I want to move completely to Linux on this machine, and (probably) the only thing left to deal with is this.

Thanks in advance!

P.S: The videos are on a NTFS Windoze partition.

LocutusOfBorg
8th September 2007, 05:47 AM
Run mplayer from the commandline and see the errorr messages - if mplayer complaints that "your system is too slow for playing this", then it will suggest you even some solution.
Are those videos h264? These are really much demanfing in terms of processing capability, and with your PC there's the chance that you cannot play them. Do they play in windows?

The_Jaymz
8th September 2007, 05:49 AM
Have you tried a different player? Have you tried to copy the files over and play them from the local hard drive?
I recommend installing vlc and/or playing from the local hard drive. See if that makes any difference.

The_Jaymz
8th September 2007, 05:50 AM
Lucutus, your sig cracks me up! :)

Kixdemp
8th September 2007, 06:56 AM
Okay. Command line doesn't say any errors... Then the icon from the Gnome menu disappeared and I had to install a frontend called 'SMPlayer', works pretty good, except that the video is now choppy... :confused:

Like, it goes back a few frames and sometimes it switches back-and-forth with the current frame, pretty weird.

Anyone know?

And I tried to install vlc but it requires faa2 < 2.5, and I have 2.5, where can I get an older version?

Thanks y'all!

Kixdemp
8th September 2007, 10:53 AM
Wow... I just played one of the videos on a newer computer and it played like a charm. :D

Guess I'll use Fedora on here... if I can get my network card to work...

Mplayer Slow Part II: Networking, soon in forums near your location. :eek: