PDA

View Full Version : launcher for root nautilus.

sojourner
7th September 2007, 09:19 PM
what I would like to do is create a desktop launcher that will run nautilus as root. In Ubuntu sudo (or gksudo) nautilus does the trick . If I run sudo nautilus from console it works , if I enter sudo nautilus as the cmd for a launcher nothing happens . I have searched this forum and tried the method suggested here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=28576&highlight=root+nautilus with negative results. I would like some help on this.

tho.mei
7th September 2007, 10:33 PM
Hallo sojourner

No idea, because I'm a KDE user. So I can't realy help.
In KDE thre is a option - to run as different user - in the properties of the desktop icon. It is hiden in behind "Advnced Options". It works smoothly.
May you will find somthing similar in Gnome.
But I know... Gnome doesn't offer many setting that KDE does.

sojourner
7th September 2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks I have used that with KDE under suse to launch knoquorer as root . In Gnome there should be an option on the launcher to run the cmd in a terminal that may be the problem Fedora don't seem to provide that .at least I haven't found it yet.

tho.mei
7th September 2007, 10:54 PM
If you are used to use KDE, you can install and use it on fedora:

yum install kdebase

sojourner
7th September 2007, 11:10 PM
I know , I'm using FC8T1 and the only live/install cd was Gnome.I've used KDE for years and I like it , I use Gnome also, they both have good features , and this isn't a Gnome problem it seems to be a Fedora quirk.

sojourner
8th September 2007, 04:11 AM
for information ! a later post in the thread I linked above resolved the problem .