PDA

View Full Version : Remove icons from desktop

bjb_nyj101
7th September 2007, 07:33 AM
Hello, how do you remove the icons that come on the default gnome desktop in fedora 7? I have quicklaunchers for media, file system, home folder, so i dont want them on the desktop. I tried shift+delete, but they wont leave. How do you get rid of the icons :confused:

thanks,bj

notmyrealemail
7th September 2007, 07:38 AM
Hello, how do you remove the icons that come on the default gnome desktop in fedora 7? I have quicklaunchers for media, file system, home folder, so i dont want them on the desktop. I tried shift+delete, but they wont leave. How do you get rid of the icons :confused:

thanks,bj

Right click and select move to trash?

What i cons are on your desktop?

browse to /home/%username%/Desktop and delete them from a prompt?

ls
rm filename

maybe the file was created by root, and you need to su first, or use sudo

-locohost

Wayne
7th September 2007, 07:45 AM
You need to install the Configuration Editor and you can remove desktop icons by going to:

Apps > Nautilus > Desktop

yum install gconf-editor

Wayne

notmyrealemail
7th September 2007, 08:11 AM
yum -y --enablerepo=liquorstore install beer

hehehe

cd /opt/beer/
./configure --with-mib-module=weed

zenwalker
7th September 2007, 11:26 AM
Hi. I have the same problem. Icons are "Computer", "Home" and "Trash" - the three icons you have on desktop after new fedora installation. I cannot delete them (they cannot be moved to trash) and I would like to have clean desktop.

Wayne
7th September 2007, 12:14 PM
Hi. I have the same problem. Icons are "Computer", "Home" and "Trash" - the three icons you have on desktop after new fedora installation. I cannot delete them (they cannot be moved to trash) and I would like to have clean desktop.

So, install gconf-editor as I (maybe mistakenly suggested) if you want to get rid of system icons. Once installed it's under 'Applications > System Tools'

Wayne

zenwalker
7th September 2007, 01:12 PM
So, install gconf-editor as I (maybe mistakenly suggested) if you want to get rid of system icons. Once installed it's under 'Applications > System Tools'

Wayne
I got it. Thanks.

Dan
7th September 2007, 02:51 PM
Hmmm.

A better method, perhaps, is to install the "gtweakui" package with "Add/Remove Software" (under the Gnome Desktop Environment section) and then select "gtweakui Nautilus" from the System>Preferences>More Preferences menu, and simply uncheck those items you don't want displayed on the desktop.

Or you can just go ahead and crowbar it out with the configuration editor! The choice is yours. <..:p..>

Dan

Wayne
7th September 2007, 02:55 PM
Hey, wot's wrong with crowbars! Gotta love 'em :)

Wayne

Dan
7th September 2007, 03:04 PM
Hey, wot's wrong with crowbars! Gotta love 'em :)

Wayne Aye! They have a kind of inelegant charm ... and a penchant for chaos and mayhem that I personally find quite attractive!

Roasted
7th December 2007, 07:12 AM
I ran a yum install gconf-editor, yet I don't see nautilus anywhere at all. Am I missing something?

Wayne
7th December 2007, 08:19 AM
I ran a yum install gconf-editor, yet I don't see nautilus anywhere at all. Am I missing something?

It's right there under 'apps'

Wayne