PDA

View Full Version : Changing resolution in Fedora 6: Problems

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 07:46 PM
Hi all

i just got into GUI mode with startx and the resolution is 640x480. if i change it to 1024x768, it asked me to logout root and login to GUI using startx for the changes to take effect. if i go to CLI and type startx, following error occured

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes

actually it added DefaultDepth as 24 which i think is a problem. when i removed tat line and type startx, a dark screen appears. part of xorg.conf imodified s given below

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
ViewPort 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubsection
EndSection

wat might be the problem??
can anybody help me??

PabloTwo
6th September 2007, 08:48 PM
If you think the DefaultDepth 24 is causing you the problem, reinseert the DefaultDepth line you removed but change it to DefualtDepth 16. Also, in SubSection "Display", change Depth 24 to Depth 16. That can't hurt, and it may, or may not, help.

Paul

nbalaji
7th September 2007, 03:06 AM
okie...i will test it and reply....

one more problem is that....evry time i m logging in to CLI and from there i have to type startx to switch to GUI mode. is there anything that will make it to directly enter GUI mode??? what i m mising to do??
thanks for ur support

nbalaji
7th September 2007, 03:36 AM
If you think the DefaultDepth 24 is causing you the problem, reinseert the DefaultDepth line you removed but change it to DefualtDepth 16. Also, in SubSection "Display", change Depth 24 to Depth 16. That can't hurt, and it may, or may not, help.

Paul
hey i jus did wat u said....its not workin... after tat change a dark screen appears and i just pressed alt+ctrl+f1 and it returned to CLI with some errors and i pressed ctrl+alt+delete and the sys rebooted....
i hav a CD for my mercury motherboard...i dont know hw to run it...prev in Windows box i used to change resolution using that CD....
u got my issue??since i am new to linux i m at all ur suport....thanks

PabloTwo
7th September 2007, 04:19 AM
nbalaji,

Sorry to hear that made no improvement for you. There are a couple of ways to get fedora to boot into GUI mode at bootup, but you don't want to do that until you have a working GUI mode, in other words, when you can type 'startx' from CLI and it works OK. You might start by typing, as root:

system-config-display

There, you should be able to do some basic configuration of your display monitor, picking it from a list. I have never encountered changing display resolution using a CD. When you do get GUI working, you can edit the file: /etc/inittab

Be careful. Make a backup copy of that file before editing to be safe. There is a line in that file like this:

id:3:initdefault:

You would change the "3" to a "5" to boot into GUI mode. 3=CLI, 5=GUI

Paul

nbalaji
7th September 2007, 06:22 AM
that must be great.... so i got a solution for booting it up into GUI directly...i wil test this and for resolution thing, i will try system-config-display ....

thanks friend

glennzo
7th September 2007, 10:28 AM
Nbalaji, you said that the motherboard was Mercury? What about the video card? Built onto the board or not? What brand? AGP? PCI? PCIE? The monitor? What brand is that and how big?

nbalaji
8th September 2007, 08:11 AM
Nbalaji, you said that the motherboard was Mercury? What about the video card? Built onto the board or not? What brand? AGP? PCI? PCIE? The monitor? What brand is that and how big?
the monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 591s,15 inch. i don kno the card details.is thr anywe to fing itthru command??? or i ve to open my box n see...........

glennzo
8th September 2007, 10:54 AM
OK, so the monitor will do 1024x768 max resolution. For you that means that the Modes line in xorg.conf should have 1024x768 as the highest resolution. If you have 1280x1024 in the mode line remove it, so that the line looks like this:
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
If you have the HorizSync defined in xorg.conf it needs to read 30-55 and the VertRefresh needs to read 50-120. If those lines are not there don't worry about it. Leave the video driver set to vesa for now. Try starting x.

nbalaji
11th September 2007, 12:30 PM
OK, so the monitor will do 1024x768 max resolution. For you that means that the Modes line in xorg.conf should have 1024x768 as the highest resolution. If you have 1280x1024 in the mode line remove it, so that the line looks like this:
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
If you have the HorizSync defined in xorg.conf it needs to read 30-55 and the VertRefresh needs to read 50-120. If those lines are not there don't worry about it. Leave the video driver set to vesa for now. Try starting x.
HorizSync and VertRefresh are the same as you have mentioned. i trying of giving the values mentioned by you in modes. but there is one another param called DefaultDepth. which value i have to set for it. i have Depths 1,4,8,15,16 and 24. if i give 15 or 16, the screen goes black with some buzzing sound quite less audible. if i set to 24 it pops out with a FATAL ERROR saying No modes detected. i am jus trying to fix the root cause.

now i juz wana know how can i find the display hardware name mount on my mother board so that its info will help in fixing this problem soon.

otherwise, switching to FC7 will fix this...?(juz my guess)...in any case my hardware shud suport it...(whethr its FC6 or FC7)....i think this is some kind of problem with config....thats all....
somebody told that switching to FC7 will fix most of I810 issues.....so only i asked...

glennzo
11th September 2007, 12:44 PM
Can you post the current contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here?

brr872002
11th September 2007, 02:14 PM
I hope your graphic card is Intel on board.
put 16 only 24 always gives errors.

Always use
system-config-display in CLI login
change only resolution don't change other configurations keep it as system defaults.

nbalaji
13th September 2007, 08:12 PM
my xorg.conf contents are below...

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
FontPath "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "vnc"
Load "xtrap"
Load "record"
Load "dri"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 280 210 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "SAM"
ModelName "SyncMaster"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 30.0 - 55.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "vesa"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

thanks for ur help

RJFUatHOME
13th September 2007, 09:14 PM
I have the exact same chipset built into my HP desktop and it's using the i810 driver for embedded Intel chipsets not VESA. It works great with this driver including compiz/AIGLX. Make sure you give it as much ram in the BIOS setup as you can give it.

You can change the driver you use in System > Administration> Display> Hardware tab. Hope it helps...