PDA

View Full Version : wireless network trouble (WEP)

JoeyJoJoe
6th September 2007, 04:42 PM
I've got a wireless router set up and working (tested using my wii) which I want my laptop running fedora 7 to be able to access. It's got a centrino chipset and I have the ipw firmware rpm from livna (which does work - it's been tested on an unsecured wireless network).

I tried to connect to my wireless network using the network manager applet which is in the top right corner of gnome, after a while it'll finally ask me for the access key, I am using a 64bit WEP key so that is the one I select on the list, then I enter the key but have nowhere to click "connect" because the button is shaded out... It's most odd.

any help is welcome,

thanks,

bbfuller
6th September 2007, 06:20 PM
Hello JoeyJoJoe

Never had that particular problem, but in Gnome the WEP key can be specified as Passphrase, ASCII key value or Hex key value.

Have you selected one of those instead of letting it try to figure it out for itself - which I think is the default behavior?

The only time I've experienced that type of effect is when entering my WPA key, until I enter the minimum required number of characters OK is greyed out.

JoeyJoJoe
6th September 2007, 11:42 PM
hi,

thanks for the reply, I have actually got it sorted now, it turns out (after much playing around) that the wep key should be entered with the 64/128bit encrypted hex option, not the ascii one or the passphrase one - I felt like a bit of a fool when I found that after hours of playing around, but hopefully someone might find the info useful for later

cheers,

ajamison
25th November 2007, 06:00 PM
I just did a fresh install using F8 and the 64/128bit option was replaced with 40/128bit option what is that about how do I use the 64bit option