PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start Fedora in GUI mode

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 09:47 AM
Hi all
i am a Linux newbie and installd Fedora 6 on my systm myself. the installation mode was all carried thru text mode only. i have 256 MB RAM. after entering into CLI i tried startx, but the following error occurred after a blink of dark screen
(EE) I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
Fatal Server error:
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (COnnection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0 " after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

if i type system-config-display following error occurred.
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Couldn't start X server with old config,trying with a fresh configuraion
error, failed to start X server
i just 2 days experienced with Linux by this installation. yet i wana swim thru dis mighty ocean. can anybody help on dis???
thanks in advance for your reply..

regards
balaji

glennzo
6th September 2007, 10:56 AM
Log in as root and edit the file /etc/X11.xorg.conf. To do that type vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Find the section that looks similar to this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
and change the driver to 'vesa'. Save the file using these key strokes: ESC : wq! Enter. Type 'startx'. This should get you a GUI from which you can work. From there you can work on getting the display set up properly.

SteveGYBE
6th September 2007, 11:04 AM
system-config-display requires a GUI to work, so the result you get with this is no surprise. Can you run "setup" as root, and does it allow you set display options?

If all else fails and you have either an AGP or ISA graphics card, you could try the command "X -configure". If this works this will create a file "xorg.conf.new" in your home directory (/root if you are logged in as root). You will then need to copy this file over /etc/X11/xorg.conf - back up the original first if you want to keep it for future reference. Have a look at http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQMiscellaneous.

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 11:10 AM
thanks a lot!! for ur suggestions. i will try it n reply soon...

jgsheppard
6th September 2007, 01:18 PM
Just a thought. If you have mc (Midnight Commander) installed you might find it a much easier way to move around your directory structure and view or edit files that trying to using vi or vim.

glennzo
6th September 2007, 01:47 PM
Just a thought. If you have mc (Midnight Commander) installed you might find it a much easier way to move around your directory structure and view or edit files that trying to using vi or vim.
Why didn't I think of that? Is MC installed by default?

jgsheppard
6th September 2007, 02:02 PM
Why didn't I think of that? Is MC installed by default?
No - mc is not always installed by default, but it certainly should be :-) I use it all the time.

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 02:10 PM
may i know how to install that MC and also better if i know hw to use it too???
thanks for ur reply

Regards
Balaji

jgsheppard
6th September 2007, 04:21 PM
may i know how to install that MC and also better if i know hw to use it too???
thanks for ur reply

Regards
Balaji
Hi

Several points:-

I do not like the fact that you have only 256 MB RAM - that might cause a problem.

I think that the latest rpm for Fedora 6 is mc-4.6.1a-35.fc6.i386.rpm

First, have you looked for the mc rpm file on your distribution CDs or DVD? If you can find it there then mount the DVD, go to the directory containing the mc rpm and install it with

rpm -ivh mc-4.6.1a-35.fc6.i386.rpm

Otherwise download the latest version of the mc rpm for Fedora 6 and install that with rpm.

To learn how to use it use the man mc command.

I do not know how old you are - I am an oldie - and mc is much like the Norton Commander of days of yore. You might be too young to have encountered that. :-)

Good luck.

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 05:32 PM
to glennzo

i just did wat u said..
now the same error occurs with the following trace apart from others that are same as previos one
(EE) VESA(0):No matching modes

Note: Prev u said me to replace intel with vesa. but actually it was i810 and not intel in the file

is it my display driver problem or its d hardware??
i m so anxious to know the root cause of this..pls help

glennzo
6th September 2007, 05:58 PM
to glennzo

i just did wat u said..
now the same error occurs with the following trace apart from others that are same as previos one
(EE) VESA(0):No matching modes

Note: Prev u said me to replace intel with vesa. but actually it was i810 and not intel in the file

is it my display driver problem or its d hardware??
i m so anxious to know the root cause of this..pls helpI think I said that the section on your xorg.conf would look LIKE the one I posted as an example. At any rate, you can try i810, intel, vesa etc. You can also make sure that the modes are set correctly in the screen section and that the refresh rates are correct for your monitor in the display section. Have a look here: http://www.johnson.homelinux.net/index.php/Basic_Display. It's a page I'm still working on but there's a lot of info there.

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 06:14 PM
system-config-display requires a GUI to work, so the result you get with this is no surprise. Can you run "setup" as root, and does it allow you set display options?

If all else fails and you have either an AGP or ISA graphics card, you could try the command "X -configure". If this works this will create a file "xorg.conf.new" in your home directory (/root if you are logged in as root). You will then need to copy this file over /etc/X11/xorg.conf - back up the original first if you want to keep it for future reference. Have a look at http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQMiscellaneous.
i jus tried as you said...and resulted with following err trace
(EE) INTEL(0): detecting sil164
(EE) INTEL(0): Unable to read from DV0I2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) INTEL(0): detecting ch7xxx
(EE) INTEL(0): Unable to read from DV0I2C_E Slave 236.
(EE) INTEL(0): DDC Analog 0, 00005010
(EE) INTEL(0): DDC DVO 1, 0000501C
Executing (ax==0x5f01) BIOS call at i830_driver.c:617

Fatal server error
No modes found on either pipe

a part of my xorg.conf file is.....

Section "Device"
### .....
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "Intel"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
ViewPort 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubsection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubsection
EndSection

i think the prob wud be in the card...cud anybdy help me...

nbalaji
6th September 2007, 06:28 PM
I think I said that the section on your xorg.conf would look LIKE the one I posted as an example. At any rate, you can try i810, intel, vesa etc. You can also make sure that the modes are set correctly in the screen section and that the refresh rates are correct for your monitor in the display section. Have a look here: http://www.johnson.homelinux.net/index.php/Basic_Display. It's a page I'm still working on but there's a lot of info there.
Hats off friend!!!!!

wat i did was, i created a new xorg.conf using X -configure,moved it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf....
now i changed "intel" to "vesa"..... and typed startx ...

wat a surprise ...i saw my Fedora ....
great...but the icons are too big....i have to move on from here....thanks for all suggestions.....

glennzo
6th September 2007, 09:45 PM
Nice! See. Al it takes is a little patience. If your icons are too big then likely your screen resolution is too large, like 800x600. Move to 1024x768 or 128x1024.

nbalaji
7th September 2007, 07:03 AM
Nice! See. Al it takes is a little patience. If your icons are too big then likely your screen resolution is too large, like 800x600. Move to 1024x768 or 128x1024.
ya....really i am always trying with that attitude...
thanks for ur help....

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 11:28 AM
hello,

i have followed the thread and came till the gui mode by typing STARTX command, can you please tell me how do i make the system to work only in gui mode. When i try to logout i get option of logout root and not the logout system.
When i restart the system i have to login as root and then run the command startx. Please help as i am end of installation i hope.

glennzo
31st March 2008, 11:39 AM

[glenn@toshiba ~]$ cat /etc/inittab | grep initdefault
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
id:5:initdefault:
If yours shows id:3:initdefault change it to 5. Use something like vi, vi /etc/inittab. Make the change, save and exit. Reboot to test the change and it should boot to the GUI.

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 11:59 AM
Yes in mine it shows id:3:initdefault, but i am not able to edit the file. Can you tell me how do i edit the file. I am a newbie to linux :

glennzo
31st March 2008, 12:08 PM
Log in as root. Type vi /etc/inittab. I believe that you need to press the INS key to activate the edit mode. Move to the line that says id:3:initdefault and change the 3 to 5. Press the : key and then the wq! keys in that order and press enter. Reboot.

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you very much i am almost done, but i am getting a warning like "this session is running as a privileged user"- Running the session as a privilaged user should be avoided for security reasons, If possible you should login as a normal user.

Any suggestion for this?

glennzo
31st March 2008, 12:26 PM
At what point do you get that message? Are you logging into the GUI as root?

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 12:32 PM
yes its after logging into GUI as root.

glennzo
31st March 2008, 12:35 PM
Don't log into the GUI as root. That's not good. Log in as your regular user.

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 12:40 PM
But i havent given any user name or password. and the installation also didnt ask for any password. Is there any option to create other user account

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 12:46 PM
I have created a userID and pwd now i didnt get the warning, is it possible now for me to partition my hasrd disk

glennzo
31st March 2008, 12:57 PM
So does that mean that you've logged in as your regular user? Good.

You have Fedora installed and now you want to partition your disk? I suppose you could use gparted. Install it with yum, yum install gparted (as root). You may be better off getting a copy of the gparted live cd though. Why do you want to partition now? Installing other OS's?

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 01:02 PM
Yea, its a regular user only.

Yea i want to partition it to have a new os or some other data in that(I havent planned yet).

I just noticed that my wireless is not working and i am disappointed. There is a option for bluetooth but no option for wireless.

koolbuddy4u
31st March 2008, 01:38 PM
Yea, its a regular user only.

Yea i want to partition it to have a new os or some other data in that(I havent planned yet).

I just noticed that my wireless is not working and i am disappointed. There is a option for bluetooth but no option for wireless.

Any suggestion