PDA

View Full Version : updating rpm lists without internet connection?

joe74
4th September 2007, 08:08 PM
Hello.

Is there any way to update rpm lists without an internet connection? I have given up trying to connect in a LAN... I am using mp3>ogg converter and solved my music problem, but I want to install some packages and install/uninstall manager seeks the internet connection and of course it doesn't find it, but it doesn't install the packages i have downloaded somewhere else. The only package I got to install was Livna... nothing else... I have read all documentation... have found nothing helpful... cand anyone send me a hand?

PabloTwo
4th September 2007, 08:58 PM
I have read all documentation... have found nothing helpful... cand anyone send me a hand?
No one has read all documentation. Even if that's all we did, we wouldn't live long enough to read it all. I'm not cutting off my hand to send you. Maybe there will be some takers on that. But....

If you have downloaded some rpm files that are compatible with your particular install of Fedora on an internet connected computer than transferred those files to your Fedora machine, then you can install them using the rpm command. As root and in the directory where the package is:

rpm -ivh name_of-package.rpm

You may run into problems doing that if there are 'dependencies' needed by the package or packages you are attempting to install that are not already installed on your system. In that case, the install proceedure will fail, and you'll need to download the dependencies specified and install those first. Some more reading material:

man rpm

Paul

hermouche
4th September 2007, 09:01 PM
Hello.

Is there any way to update rpm lists without an internet connection? I have given up trying to connect in a LAN... I am using mp3>ogg converter and solved my music problem, but I want to install some packages and install/uninstall manager seeks the internet connection and of course it doesn't find it, but it doesn't install the packages i have downloaded somewhere else. The only package I got to install was Livna... nothing else... I have read all documentation... have found nothing helpful... cand anyone send me a hand?

Hummmm difficult i guess, since you should know first what is installed in your distro and then after looks for their updates.
Agree with what was said by PabloTwo.

rpm -qa > installed-rpms "Will print on a file called installed-rpms all the installed RPM's in you home directory."
rpm -e "file-name" "will erase the file-name given.

joe74
4th September 2007, 09:19 PM
I read all documentation related to my topic. That's what i did.

And I know what It takes to install a package without its dependencies. Thanks for the help :D