PDA

View Full Version : Fedora crashes and takes me back to logon screen

piet85
4th September 2007, 06:59 PM
Hello,
I got the problem, that my fedora 7 sometimes crashes like this. I get a black screen for a second and then the logon screen is displayed, I got to choose a user and enter its password, then my system looks like after reboot. All windows and applications are closed.
The problem mainly occurs when I close Mozilla Firefox, mostly after I was on sites like myspace.
I should mention that for some reason flash isn't working well with Firefox on my system, I usually open flash sites with opera, but sometimes I accidentally click a myspace link in firefox or another site containing flash. I don't know whether it has something to do with the crashes, but for completeness I should mention.
I don't know whether linux is rebooting the x-server or just logging off my user account.
Please tell me what can i do to stop those crashes?

ms1234
4th September 2007, 07:25 PM
Have you updated to the latest flash version?

piet85
4th September 2007, 07:34 PM
I think so, cause I installed flash only two weeks ago, so it should be the newest version

ordinary
4th September 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm having a very similar problem. Very often, when I close Firefox, the X-server crashes taking my session with it. It seems to happen only when closing Firefox or a tab within Firefox. It may only happen when closing Firefox when several tabs are open.

The error looks like this in Xorg.0.log.old. I guess Xorg.0.log logs the X-Server restarting. At least that is what the timestamps seem to say.

<snip>
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86SigHandler+0x6d) [0x48b99d]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x38d6630630]
2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libGLcore.so(xmesa_check_and_update_buffer_size+0x c) [0x2aaabde1e14c]
3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libGLcore.so [0x2aaabde4e41d]
4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0x2aaaab1c573b]
5: /usr/bin/Xorg(compPositionWindow+0x62) [0x4bf7c2]
6: /usr/bin/Xorg(ResizeChildrenWinSize+0x17b) [0x43a78b]
7: /usr/bin/Xorg(ReparentWindow+0x1df) [0x43aa1f]
8: /usr/bin/Xorg(ProcReparentWindow+0xbc) [0x44b50c]
9: /usr/bin/Xorg(Dispatch+0x1db) [0x44ba9b]
10: /usr/bin/Xorg(main+0x45d) [0x43480d]
11: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4) [0x38d661dab4]
12: /usr/bin/Xorg(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x229) [0x433ad9]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

I personally think it has nothing to do with flash. It happens about 5 to 10% of the time when I close Firefox. I rarely use flash.

Piet85, what does your Xorg logs show? (They can be found in /var/log)

piet85
4th September 2007, 10:04 PM
This is the last line of my x-org.0.log:
(II) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed...Tried again without customized values.
I also checked the flash version, it is the latest one, but maybe it's necessary to mention there's also Gnash installed on my system.

ordinary
5th September 2007, 03:20 AM
Hmmm... I don't think gnash or flash really has much to do with it. I could be wrong, of course, but my problem seems so much like yours, and I don't use flash very much on this machine. The X-server dies when Firefox is closed and the login session is ended. It seems more frequent when multiple tabs are open, and sometimes it happens when a tab is closed.

Maybe somebody who knows will pitch in here. It doesn't seem likely that this is a vanishingly rare problem. Surely somebody else has experienced it.

If you get any further diagnosing this, Piet85, please post here. I'll do the same.

Good luck!

Dimkind
13th September 2007, 11:26 PM
I have exactly the same problem, Are you using compiz ? Because it seems to me that it began to occur after XGL installation.

vexen
10th February 2008, 03:58 PM
Hi, I have the same problem but it only happened with IMs like kopete or aMSN. With kopete happens when I try to open another chat window, with aMSN happens when I try to change my display picture from a chat window.

I'm using Fedora 8 + Compiz Fusion + NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (I guess I'm using AIGLX) but I'm not sure