PDA

View Full Version : Firefox woes

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 04:56 PM
Pretty new Fedora user here. Something seems to be up with embedded video in firefox. Under about:plugins, it says:

Shockwave Flash

File name: libswfdecmozilla.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 (Swfdec 0.4.5)

Which of course is enabled. Now at Ebaums World, I get the message:

Flash Player 8 or later required to view this video. Please visit Adobe to get the latest version of the Flash Player.

But I have flash player 9... At College Humor a flash player comes up, I try to click play and nothing happens. At YouTube, the video plays but none of the button on the player except pause and play work. Google video comes up completely blank, the area where the player should appear is entirely white. It seems like something is wrong with my flash, anyone have any ideas on how to going about fixing it?

On top of all this, firefox seems to randomly close when I go to new locations, and it does so with no error message. It seems to happen most often with about:plugins, but it has happened other times as well. Hell, it's happened three times while I was writing this post. Is this common? All I can say is... thank god for "Restore Session".

schwerdf
4th September 2007, 05:20 PM
How did you install Flash Player?

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 05:28 PM
I followed this link:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW

And went with option 3, downloaded the RPM and installed it that way.

FriedChips
4th September 2007, 05:31 PM
try gnash

yum install gnash

(GNU Flash)

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 05:38 PM
Do I have to worry about uninstalling the flash I have before doing so?

schwerdf
4th September 2007, 05:39 PM
Gnash support for post-V7 Flash files is rather patchy, so if you view a good deal of these it might not be the best option.

Do you have the latest version of Firefox from the Fedora repository?

FriedChips
4th September 2007, 05:40 PM
I have both installed :)

glennzo
4th September 2007, 05:45 PM
Pretty new Fedora user here. Something seems to be up with embedded video in firefox. Under about:plugins, it says:

Which of course is enabled. Now at Ebaums World, I get the message:

But I have flash player 9... At College Humor a flash player comes up, I try to click play and nothing happens. At YouTube, the video plays but none of the button on the player except pause and play work. Google video comes up completely blank, the area where the player should appear is entirely white. It seems like something is wrong with my flash, anyone have any ideas on how to going about fixing it?

On top of all this, firefox seems to randomly close when I go to new locations, and it does so with no error message. It seems to happen most often with about:plugins, but it has happened other times as well. Hell, it's happened three times while I was writing this post. Is this common? All I can say is... thank god for "Restore Session".
Are you using Beryl? I find that to play certain videos I need to disable the Beryl window manager and enable Metacity. Just a thought.

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 05:58 PM
I removed the old flash from adobe, installed gnash, and everything is basically the same except YouTube no longer works as well. I just installed Fedora 2 days ago and ran an update just now (it did nothing). How exactly do I go about disabling Beryl and enabling Metacity?

Edit: And I also found that any time I change a plugin in firefox and then go to the plugin page, firefox crashes. Is this a known bug?

glennzo
4th September 2007, 06:26 PM
If you're using Beryl there's an icon on the right side of the top panel. Right click it and choose select window manager. Select metacity from the menu. Try the videos.

rjstaaf
4th September 2007, 06:30 PM
I followed this link:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW

And went with option 3, downloaded the RPM and installed it that way.

Option 3 is a Yum install. If you stopped there all that gives you is the Adobe_Linux repository. That does not actually install the Flash Player. Go into the Add/Remove software GUI and search for flash or adobe. You should see the flash player listed there and if there is no green check than it is NOT installed.

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 07:29 PM
If you're using Beryl there's an icon on the right side of the top panel. Right click it and choose select window manager. Select metacity from the menu. Try the videos.

The only icons there are for pidig, user switch, time, and volume.

Option 3 is a Yum install. If you stopped there all that gives you is the Adobe_Linux repository. That does not actually install the Flash Player. Go into the Add/Remove software GUI and search for flash or adobe. You should see the flash player listed there and if there is no green check than it is NOT installed.

I'm fairly certain that is all I did and YouTube videos sort of worked. Searching for flash I find "flash-plugin - 9.0.48.0-release.i386 - Adobe Flash Player 9.0" Should I have this installed? Why install this if I am using gnash?

rshadarack
4th September 2007, 07:38 PM
I have no idea what the hell I did, but every video from every place (that I know of) is working now. Thanks guys.

I'm still a bit curious about this firefox crashing thing. I really just want to know if others have experienced the same thing I described.

akbowbender
9th September 2007, 08:15 PM
I did an upgrade from FC6, and Firefox would crash on startup. I had Slashdot, Yahoo and a few other sites in tabs for my home pages. Not sure which one was the problem. I installed the latest Flash Player 9 and all is well.

rshadarack
9th September 2007, 08:44 PM
I haven't had a single problem with firefox since. It was probably a bad install of something.