PDA

View Full Version : Firewire support Fedora 7?

bowens44
4th September 2007, 02:51 PM
I followed the procedure to install the kernel(2.6.22.1-1027) from the ezplanet repo to get firewire working in fedora 7. It works fine.

I was wondering if this issue is addressed by the latest kernel (2.6.22.4-1065) in updates? I would like to stick with the official repos as much as possible.

If this hasn't been addressed, I see that there are ieee1394 rpms for this this kernel in ATrpms. Can these be used to enable the needed support in the officially released kernel?

Thanks

LocutusOfBorg
4th September 2007, 03:16 PM
What kind of devices are you in trouble with?
On a PC with an ASUS MB with an integrate TI firewire B chip, I had to install the ATRPM modules because the new ones doesn't recognize the chip and I can't use external drives. Using the above module, all is fine.
On another PC with another Asus MB model and a PCI firewire controlle from NEC, the modules shipped with the kernel work and my drives are seen.
In both cases I use kernel 2.6.22-64. I think the issue is the support for particular chip in the kernel. Anyway, the ATRPMS modules work just fine, remember to blacklist the others though.

Crito
4th September 2007, 05:34 PM
Don't have an answer to your Q but, for others thinking of buying a Firewire card, get one that uses a VIA chip. Never had to d/l or install a driver, always works out-of-the-box.