PDA

View Full Version : KDE Live spin vs DVD install + various gnome in KDE questions

wintermute000
4th September 2007, 02:35 PM
If I want to make a clean KDE based Fedora install, is it better to use the full DVD and only pick KDE, or use the KDE live CD? What is the actual difference? Do you still need to "de gnome" your system (e.g. replace gdm with kdm, most importantly MESSED UP KDE MENU!!! where are my apps LOL).

Also, when you install using the live CD, can you specify what partitions to use (esp. preserving existing LVMs - my data partition!!).

I ask as I switched from gnome to kde via switchdesk, and there is a lot of gnome stuff popping up everywhere. e.g. keyboard shortcuts (that launch... nautilus (yuck), covering my KDE desktop LOL).

All the gnome I want to run are enough dependencies to operate the gtk programs I like (which yum will take care of), I don't actually want any gnome services, window managers etc. and most importantly a menu that isn't a horrible mismash of the default gnome and default kde menus.

On a related note: does anyone know how to make gnome application fonts look like kde fonts. with identical settings fonts in gnome apps still look 'different'. it does seem like some kind of gnome font manager or window manager is running underneath kde for gnome apps... am I right? (I already have installed the "Configure GTK options in my KDE control centre.... which I don't think is working, as I still need to go into gnome font control to affect the look).

Sorry in advance for being longwinded! the endless linux tweaking continues... :rolleyes:

BarkingToad
4th September 2007, 04:08 PM
Just want to add I'm having a similar problem right now, where if I run beryl and use the beryl window manager, it Gnome-izes my nice clean KDE setup. This has happened on two different installations and I've given up on Beryl and I'm waiting for a stable yummable compiz to be released.

ajoian
4th September 2007, 07:12 PM
Try to use the DVD instead of the LiveCD and mark for installation only KDE afterwards try to check-out/remove any packages that depend on gnome libraries, in a normal install not very costumized it is normal to have some gnome :D as it is the default window manager for this distribution.

wintermute000
4th September 2007, 10:59 PM
Ah that's easily fixed, right click on beryl manager, go to select window manager and select Beryl. Ditto with window decorations. This will stop using metacity!