PDA

View Full Version : Getting Message All Ports in Use everytime I use CU

elusivedog
4th September 2007, 05:46 AM
I'm trying to use CU user command to make a call out from my computer to a remote computer, both using Multi-tech serial modem.

And everytime I did it, I'm getting a CU: [ ] No available Port or All Ports in Use Message. and I'm getting also an LCK...ttyS0 in /var/lock plus 2 more LCK...

I tried minicom and is working fine. I can also receive a call in from a remote computer using minicom.

My system is Fedora 7 and I just copy the uucp files from a working cu from a computer with Red Hat Linux Version 7.2 System.

Do I'm missing something? Or simply that some codes in RHL7.2 won't work in Fedora?

I have a great suspicion that this could also be a security or permission problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

schwerdf
4th September 2007, 08:13 PM
Are you saying that you copied binaries from a Red Hat 7.2 installation and are trying to run them under F7? If you are, you ought to remove the files you copied and install the current binaries for 'uucp':

# yum install uucp

elusivedog
5th September 2007, 11:10 PM
Thank you very much user: schwerdf.

I can do a call out now using cu.

I still have so many things to tweek before and after doing your instruction, but the important thing is that uucp and cu are now working.

First, I don't want to lost my configurations since I'm not sure if your advise well work, so I back up first my configurations.

2nd, My computer was not set up to connect to the internet, since this was intended for LAN as a server and running only on text mode (our systems application (program) is xbase) ... I have to configure this computer to have internet access.

3rd, when I did #yum install uucp, it did not come in a silver platter. I have to do all my configurations like the dialer in dial and system phones in sys, etc..

Thinking this will help other newbies encountering the same problem.