PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to the internet with F7

Deim06
4th September 2007, 04:47 AM
I'm new to the Linux scene; I apologize in advance if I come off as newbish.

I tried Linux for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I ran dual-boot Ubuntu (Fiesty Fawn)/Windows XP. I fell in love with the OS and decided to go Linux all the way. A friend of mine--who uses Linux--talked me into using Fedora instead of Ubuntu. So far I like the cleanliness of Fedora 7 over Ubuntu, however, I can't seem to get connectivity with Fedora 7--although I had no problem connecting on Windows XP and Ubuntu. There is one other computer in my network, running Windows XP, that also connects fine.

When I boot Fedora, it goes through the checklist thing ([ Ok ], [ Ok ], . . .) except says [Failed] when it checks the IP through DHCP. When I try to run Firefox it goes straight to the "Server not found" page immediately. I've tried messing with the Network settings--changing it to 'Obtain IP Automatically', and also tried manually setting my static IP.

I use:
Fedora 7
nVidia Ethernet
Linksys WRT54G router
Comcast Cable internet

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Again, I just installed Fedora for the first time, and haven't changed any settings except for messing with the IP, trying to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

glennzo
4th September 2007, 09:16 AM
I'm new to the Linux scene; I apologize in advance if I come off as newbish.

I tried Linux for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I ran dual-boot Ubuntu (Fiesty Fawn)/Windows XP. I fell in love with the OS and decided to go Linux all the way. A friend of mine--who uses Linux--talked me into using Fedora instead of Ubuntu. So far I like the cleanliness of Fedora 7 over Ubuntu, however, I can't seem to get connectivity with Fedora 7--although I had no problem connecting on Windows XP and Ubuntu. There is one other computer in my network, running Windows XP, that also connects fine.

When I boot Fedora, it goes through the checklist thing ([ Ok ], [ Ok ], . . .) except says [Failed] when it checks the IP through DHCP. When I try to run Firefox it goes straight to the "Server not found" page immediately. I've tried messing with the Network settings--changing it to 'Obtain IP Automatically', and also tried manually setting my static IP.

I use:
Fedora 7
nVidia Ethernet
Linksys WRT54G router
Comcast Cable internet

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Again, I just installed Fedora for the first time, and haven't changed any settings except for messing with the IP, trying to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.
Should work like a charm 'out of the box'. Try adding info like Primary and Secondary DNS and DNS search path to the network configuration to see if that helps. To do that choose System > Administration > Network. Click the DNS tab and there is where you add that info.

BarkingToad
4th September 2007, 04:31 PM
I agree that it should "just work". And there shouldn't be a big difference between Ubuntu and Fedora here.

Do you get a link light - an LED next to the ethernet socket, that should light up when you plug the ethernet cable in. There should also be a link light on the router.

In DHCP, your system is asking your router what its numeric address should be. If it doesn't get one, there's no point it trying Firefox or anything else -- without that process completing successfully, nothing else network-related will work. Your system can't talk to your router for some reason.

ajoian
4th September 2007, 07:06 PM
As root try to verify the cable connectivity with the command : ethtool eth0/1 (corresponding to the network card you use)
if you get Link detected : yes , follow the next step that is to manually configure your network card so issue the command :
system-config-network and assign an ip address from the local network , a netmask and a gateway. Also as root do a gedit of the file found here /etc/resolve.conf and add a line similar to this : nameserver ip_or_your_dns. And thats it try to ping google.com

wtt
13th September 2007, 01:32 PM
Hello Ajoian,

I encountered the same problem with F7. I tried your instruction. However, after "ethtool eth0/1", I got the information like below::

Settings for eth0/1
Cannot get device settings: No such device
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: No such device

I also installed XP in the same machine as dual boot. As for XP, I can access internet after I plug in the cable. So I think there is no problem with the device. What should I do next ?

giulix
13th September 2007, 02:18 PM
It's either 0 or 1, not 0/1. Try this:

/sbin/ethtool -i eth0
/sbin/ethtool -i eth1

wtt
13th September 2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I tried "ethtool -i eth01"

It displays:

driver: r8169
version: 2.2LK-NAPI
firmware-version:
bus - info: 0000:03:00.0

What should I do next? I don't understand this information completely. BTW, how can I get my f7 connected to internet?

giulix
13th September 2007, 02:46 PM
That was just to make sure your NIC was properly recognized and has a device driver associated to it. Not necessarily all cards that work under windoze also work under Linux. Anyway, all seems ok on that side.
Now, would you please post the output of the following command ?

/sbin/ifconfig eth01

Also, can you please confirm that your device is indeed eth01 and not eth1 ?

wtt
13th September 2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the mistake.

It should be " ethtool -i eth0"

as for ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:92:E3:71:c2
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1458 MEtric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
Collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0(0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:17

Do you see anything wrong here?

giulix
13th September 2007, 03:33 PM
Yes and no. The good news is that Linux recognized the device and is ready to use it. The bad news is that the operating system wasn't able to properly configure it. Perhaps a few more words describing your network environment are in order: are you connecting to a cable modem, ADSL modem/router or else ? What network configuration steps have you taken ? Have you tried to run (as root) system-config-network ? If, so, what was the outcome ? Anything else that seems relevant on the network side...

wtt
13th September 2007, 04:22 PM
are you connecting to a cable modem, ADSL modem/router or else ?
//Yes. I have connected that to the modem. I also installed XP in the same machine. It works fine with the internet.

What network configuration steps have you taken ? Have you tried to run (as root) system-config-network ?
//I didn't run it. I think that I was pampered by XP and assume internet should work once I plug in the cable as I did for XP. :) What is the exact command should I use for that?

If, so, what was the outcome ? Anything else that seems relevant on the network side...

wtt
13th September 2007, 04:31 PM
I run the systemm-config-network under root. And I also created a new Ethernet connect, then activate d it. However, it still doesn't work. How can restart the network if I don't want to restart the computer. I used the command before, but somehow forgot that after a few years...

stevea
13th September 2007, 04:33 PM
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

(or whatever your interface is other than "eth0").