PDA

View Full Version : libgnomebreakpad.so????

robghealey
4th September 2007, 04:26 AM
I know just as everyone else knows....that Fedora 8 is test software right now...!!! I know....

I have been using Fedora since FC2, and using every test release since then. There has been a problem with FC8 for a long time now, and I would like someone who can answer this issue to please explain why it still exists? My system is fully updated, so I know that is not the issue with my system.

I do genealogy for fun and for my personal use, so it is not a production system, so I love using beta and test releases!!!

Can someone tell me why libgnomebreakpad.so is still missing, and therefore my genealogy software WILL NOT WORK STILL???

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond....

Gnafu the Great
4th September 2007, 04:49 AM
Have you tried:

yum whatprovides libgnomebreakpad.so

?

robghealey
4th September 2007, 05:29 AM
yum returns "No Matches Found"

HughB
8th September 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm wondering this too. I have several applications that are dependant on this library but I can't find anything useful about it. Aparently, all the applcations keep saying it's an upstream problem. I have read there is a replacement called googlebreakpad, but I can't find any providers for this either. Fortunately I'm not depending on it though some of my applications that use it have become rather fragile. For example gvim.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing exactly what this is and when it will be resolved too.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

martin.sourada
8th September 2007, 04:54 PM
Hi guys, it's from the gnome bug report software, bug buddy or how's it called. I have found a rpm for it with this library in in IIRC OpenSUSE. Just ignore it, it does no harm, AFAIK. Or fill a bug... I think I'll look into it, as I have currently some spare time...

leigh123linux
8th September 2007, 05:10 PM
Hi guys, it's from the gnome bug report software, bug buddy or how's it called. I have found a rpm for it with this library in in IIRC OpenSUSE. Just ignore it, it does no harm, AFAIK. Or fill a bug... I think I'll look into it, as I have currently some spare time...

Thanks will erasing it stop it ( I haven't got the time to waste filing a bug report on a bug reporting tool :( :( :( :( :( )

martin.sourada
8th September 2007, 05:11 PM
I hope I have good news for you. After some minutes spent with investigation, I have found that this is new feature in bug buddy 2.19.xx version and that in F8 there is still 2.18.0. BUT. Matthias updated the package on the September 4th, but due to test 2 freeze it didn't get pushed into rawhide until today. If it is not still on your mirrors, you can get it in koji: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=17774

It seems that it fixes the issue.

Cheers,
Martin

leigh123linux
8th September 2007, 05:17 PM
I hope I have good news for you. After some minutes spent with investigation, I have found that this is new feature in bug buddy 2.19.xx version and that in F8 there is still 2.18.0. BUT. Matthias updated the package on the September 4th, but due to test 2 freeze it didn't get pushed into rawhide until today. If it is not still on your mirrors, you can get it in koji: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=17774

It seems that it fixes the issue.

Cheers,
Martin

Cool ,

Thanks

Its listed in my update :cool: ( + 850mb of updates :eek: )

13 k
pulseaudio-lib-glib2 i386 0.9.7-0.11.svn20070907.fc8 development 12 k
pulseaudio-lib-zeroconf x86_64 0.9.7-0.11.svn20070907.fc8 development 16 k
pulseaudio-lib-zeroconf i386 0.9.7-0.11.svn20070907.fc8 development 15 k
rarian x86_64 0.5.8-3.fc8 development 100 k
rpm x86_64 4.4.2.2-0.4.rc1 development 1.2 M
selinux-policy noarch 3.0.7-7.fc8 development 366 k
system-config-firewall-tui noarch 1.0.5-4.fc8 development 455 k
system-config-printer-libs x86_64 0.7.74.1-1.fc8 development 368 k
usermode x86_64 1.93-1.fc8 development 188 k
vim-common x86_64 2:7.1.100-1.fc8 development 6.6 M

Transaction Summary
================================================== ===========================
Install 8 Package(s)
Update 352 Package(s)
Remove 2 Package(s)

Total download size: 856 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

HughB
9th September 2007, 04:14 AM
Interesting. My experience with the new bug-buddy:
Now gvim etc load a lot faster =)
Some other appllication which evidently are buggy now just hang instead of crashing.
My question: Why is bug-buddy an application dependency. IMO it should be completely external and if it is enabled, some sort of kernel hooks are used to capture the crashing application. Having yet another application dependency seems to me to be more of a hinderance than help.
Thanks for the update anyway =)
BTW leigh123, what address do you have in your yum update?

martin.sourada
9th September 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, it's runtime dependency and most likely it's either glib or gtk dependency, not application dependency. If you remove bug-buddy it should have the same acceleration effect as the upgrade to the new one (as the old bug-buddy seemed somehow incompatible with new gtk...).

leigh123linux
9th September 2007, 10:33 AM
Interesting. My experience with the new bug-buddy:
Now gvim etc load a lot faster =)
Some other appllication which evidently are buggy now just hang instead of crashing.
My question: Why is bug-buddy an application dependency. IMO it should be completely external and if it is enabled, some sort of kernel hooks are used to capture the crashing application. Having yet another application dependency seems to me to be more of a hinderance than help.
Thanks for the update anyway =)
BTW leigh123, what address do you have in your yum update?

If you mean did the update address my problem then the answer is yes :)

martin.sourada
9th September 2007, 10:46 AM
If you mean did the update address my problem then the answer is yes :)

I'd guess he means the mirror you use... Since, not all mirrors are sinced that fast. I, for one, didn't get the large set of update until today (even though for me its only about 400 MB)...

leigh123linux
9th September 2007, 10:55 AM
I'd guess he means the mirror you use... Since, not all mirrors are sinced that fast. I, for one, didn't get the large set of update until today (even though for me its only about 400 MB)...

I have a lot of devels installed ( to build stuff like compiz-fusion ) + 3 DE's ( XFCE , Gnome & KDE ) , I guess that would explain the huge download .

As for the mirror I used I dont know ( my development repo is set to the mirror list ) , is there a way to check ?

P.S As my wife is away I have loads of time to kill this week so I am going to build compiz-fusion
0.6.0 for my F8 box ( I have already built 0.6.0 for F7 ) :)

HughB
9th September 2007, 11:15 AM
Well, it's runtime dependency and most likely it's either glib or gtk dependency, not application dependency. If you remove bug-buddy it should have the same acceleration effect as the upgrade to the new one (as the old bug-buddy seemed somehow incompatible with new gtk...).

You seem to have misunderstood the problem all together. I did not have bug-buddy installed at all and when I installed the latest one from this link http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=17774 I had the speedup I described. The trouble there was that it was searching for the library and couldn't find it. The trouble now is that some of the applications are buggy and this update changed the behaviour. Before they crashed leaving error messages in .xsession-error. Now they simply hang. I waited for one to return for over an hour.

I'm in the process of receiving a big update. It looks like my mirror has caught up. I hope there is a better version. I can't tell yet as it has been updating for hours. It's a huge update.

Anyway have fun

martin.sourada
9th September 2007, 12:32 PM
I have a lot of devels installed ( to build stuff like compiz-fusion ) + 3 DE's ( XFCE , Gnome & KDE ) , I guess that would explain the huge download .

As for the mirror I used I dont know ( my development repo is set to the mirror list ) , is there a way to check ?

AFAIK, only in case some of those got timed out (then the URL is displayed). But if you do not use fastest mirror plugin it should be one of those geographically close to you...

robghealey
10th September 2007, 10:25 PM
I will chime in to since I started this one. My problem is now fixed as well...