PDA

View Full Version : Looking for guidance. Creating a file server.

paveway
4th September 2007, 12:21 AM
Heres my situation:

I built a new computer a few months ago and I decided to put linux on my old one to play around on it and learn a few things. I needed some sort of goal or else I would end up leaving it in the corner to gather dust so I decided I would try and turn it into a file server for my LAN in order to access the old files on my old hard drives.

The old computer has two hard drives. One 80gb which is now formatted with the linux file system and a 120gb which has all my old files using NTFS. Obviously I figured the first thing I had to do was enable Fedora to see the 120bg NTFS Hard Drive. Somehow I accomplished this (I just followed a small tutorial concerning something called "ntfs-3g" and don't really know what I did).

Now I am kinda stumped. What is the next step in this process? My ultimate goal is to be able to mount the old 120gb hard drive on my NEW computer over the network so I can browse it as I please. This is relatively simple to do if the OLD computer was running windows, but then I wouldn't learn anything.

Any words from the wise? Please keep in mind that I am pretty new with this whole linux thing but I am not afraid to learn.

Thanks!

PS: I am running Fedora 7.

a_m0d
4th September 2007, 01:39 AM
Probably one of the best ways is to google samba server setup. Samba is the linux file server. Googling it will give you a few tutorials about how to setup it up. Sorry I can't tell you myself, since I have never actually used it, but I have seen a few decent looking tutorials online.

ppesci
4th September 2007, 03:29 AM
Yes, you must to install the samba package and go to see the file /etc/samba/smb.conf

There are some nice basic examples that you can work with. Of course, for serious things, you will need to read the documentation.

HTH

paveway
7th September 2007, 08:16 AM
cool deal. I think I am making some progress. There are still a few kinks I would like to work out and more importantly, I would like to know what exactly I am doing.

As for now, how do have it to where sdb1 mounts when I boot up? Do I have to mount it every time?

thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also, what exactly does the command [yum] do? I know it updates/downloads programs and stuff, but from where? Does it automatically know where to search for something when I tell it to update/dl? The thing that confuses me is that I dont even have to tell it where to download from.

notmyrealemail
7th September 2007, 08:27 AM
1. You are going to want get your data backed up, and run a linux file system. NTFS is only going to cause you problems under linuz

2. Yes, get samba

yum install samba

To start off, you will probabably want to take a look at

/etc/samba/smb.conf

set the line:

security = user

to

security = share

you can worry about auth problems after you get it working.

After, scroll down and fine one of the sections that looks like this:

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
; [Profiles]
; path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
; browseable = no
; guest ok = yes

Uncomment it and change it to something like this, to fit your enviornment

[myNTFSshare]
path = /mnt/ntfsvolumeimounted
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes

:q!

and finish off iwth an /etc/init.d/smb restart

This is a very simple config, but its a start to learning how to use samba!

-locohost

markkuk
7th September 2007, 12:59 PM
Also, what exactly does the command [yum] do?
You should read this: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/

I know it updates/downloads programs and stuff, but from where?
From the repositories defined and enabled in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo