PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting with WinXP and Some other stuff...

colenorm
30th August 2007, 01:43 AM
Hey all, new to the forums and new to linux. I have Fedora 7 installed and working more or less how it is supposed to. But I could use some help with some things. Id like to be able to have a windows xp partition available on my HD for when I want to play games or do other things that works better on windows. I am not altogether sure on how to do this. I was thinking that I would remove Fedora, install WinXp, and then reinstall Fedora on the free space. But I am not sure how I remove Fedora. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction for this or recommend a better way to get this working.

Also, I cannot seem to get my internet connection working with Fedora. I have a wireless G linksys adapter that connects via a USB connection. (it worked fine with Mandriva). It says it is connected and has a signal but the internet still wont connect. If anyone has any experience with this, let me know what Im doing wrong.

Thanks for all replies :).

bob
30th August 2007, 02:14 AM
Wireless....that one, thank goodness, I haven't tackled. Check out 'kmod-madwifi' in the Search box and see if there's some help there; also check in the 'How-To' Forum for possible solutions.

As to the dual-boot situation, yes it's best to install Windows first and then Fedora afterwards. I'd first use Gparted Live or another partitoner to set up the partitions as you want them. Might as well wipe out all the partitions first to clean the slate so that Windows can install. Then reset them, format as necessary and begin the Windows install. Afterwards, Fedora should install fine and should recognize the Windows partition.

glennzo
30th August 2007, 02:18 AM
If you're going to get rid of Fedora, install Windows and then install Fedora you don't need to delete anything. Format the disk using GParted. Create three partitions, NTFS or FAT32 for Windows, EXT3 for Fedora and a Linux swap partiton twice the size of the installed system ram. Install Windows on the first partition, install Fedora on the EXT3 partition. Fedora will take care of the boot loader. When the Fedora install is finished and it's time to reboot you will get a Windows / Linux boot menu. And awaaaayyy we go! (who can tell me who said that?)

bob
30th August 2007, 02:37 AM
("The Great One" - Jackie Gleason)

colenorm
30th August 2007, 03:50 AM
okay, but how do I install windows when i have Fedora installed? When I put in the installation disk and select "Boot from CD", nothing happens.

glennzo
30th August 2007, 07:53 AM
okay, but how do I install windows when i have Fedora installed? When I put in the installation disk and select "Boot from CD", nothing happens.
Well, I thought that you were going to get rid of Fedora first, temporarily. Did you create new partitions with GParted? My Windows XP disk prompts me to 'press a key to boot from the cd....' when I try to boot the computer with it. I wonder if the XP disk is not seeing any usable (in Windows' opinion) partitions?

glennzo
30th August 2007, 07:55 AM
("The Great One" - Jackie Gleason)
No spring chicken there, eh Bob? Not that I am by any means.