PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance!

Iggzaplaya
26th August 2007, 03:52 PM
Need help installing video card driver. I am new to Linux. I've installed FC 7. I couldn't get it to install in the GUI mode, so I just installed it text based. If I try system-config-services I get an error "unable to initialize graphical environment". If I try to run system-config-display, an X briefly shows up in the middle of the screen, then locks up. I'm running an EVGA Nvidia 7800 GT. I am not connected to the internet yet on the Linux computer since I'm not sure how to configure my wireless card via command prompt. If I can get the GUI to work, I think I can install my wireless card. This is my first install. I can download drivers using my laptop and save them to a thumb drive. I'm just not sure how to install them or access the drive at this point. I'm using a book, "Redhat Fedora Core Unleashed by Sams", but it's a little confusing at this point. Any help is appreciated! Currently, I'm logged in as root and the display looks like this [root@localhost ~]#. Linux recognizes my USB drive, not sure how to access it or list files from it. I actually ws just able to mount my flash drive. I'm not sure where to get the drivers..Thanks so much!

w5set
26th August 2007, 05:13 PM
try typing in

setup

and then go to display tab....set it up there.--use cursor arrow/tab keys to move highlight, and use enter key then. Set the hardware adapter to use the "vesa" driver to get a GUI with.--monitor to 800 x 600 for starters--maybe?

Iggzaplaya
26th August 2007, 06:00 PM
Where is the display tab? The items listed are authentication config, firewall, keyboard, network, system services, and x config

KingTomato117
26th August 2007, 09:36 PM
I'd think it's X config, dont take my word for it though. I'm new also.

jdillick
27th August 2007, 07:57 PM
Need help installing video card driver. I am new to Linux. I've installed FC 7. I couldn't get it to install in the GUI mode, so I just installed it text based. If I try system-config-services I get an error "unable to initialize graphical environment". If I try to run system-config-display, an X briefly shows up in the middle of the screen, then locks up. I'm running an EVGA Nvidia 7800 GT. I am not connected to the internet yet on the Linux computer since I'm not sure how to configure my wireless card via command prompt. If I can get the GUI to work, I think I can install my wireless card. This is my first install. I can download drivers using my laptop and save them to a thumb drive. I'm just not sure how to install them or access the drive at this point. I'm using a book, "Redhat Fedora Core Unleashed by Sams", but it's a little confusing at this point. Any help is appreciated! Currently, I'm logged in as root and the display looks like this [root@localhost ~]#. Linux recognizes my USB drive, not sure how to access it or list files from it. I actually ws just able to mount my flash drive. I'm not sure where to get the drivers..Thanks so much!

From the command prompt do this to install the nvidia proprietary drivers (if you so desire):
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run
follow all the instructions.

jdillick
27th August 2007, 07:58 PM
From the command prompt do this to install the nvidia proprietary drivers (if you so desire):
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run
follow all the instructions.

Oh, if you can't get your nic to work right now, just download this from another system and move it from your flash drive.

Iggzaplaya
27th August 2007, 07:59 PM
I changed the driver type to "vesa" This has allowed me to use the GUI with 800x600 display. As soon as I get my wireless card to work I will dowload the NVIDIA drivers.

Iggzaplaya
27th August 2007, 08:13 PM
Good idea. Will try. Do you have any experience with the NDIS Wrapper. I have everything installed. When I try to run the command modprobe ndiswrapper, I get an error FATAL: Module not found. The machine is seeing my wireless card if I do lspci -l. If I run NDISWRAPPER -l, it tells me the driver and hardware is installed. Should I try I different driver or will I still get the FATAL error no matter what driver is used. I have a D_Link G DWL-510. I'm using the XP driver. Any help is appreciated!!!! Just a note, I installed the NDISWRAPPER files and the FC7 development from .rpm's.