PDA

View Full Version : KDE in Fedora 7?

scm
26th August 2007, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I've installed Fedora 7 and am mortified to discover it hasn't installed KDE(this is progress?). The kde rpms are on the install DVD, so what's the easiest way to install them, please? If I try the simple rpm -i kde* I get a prereq avalanche.

Help!
Steve

Dangermouse
26th August 2007, 12:05 PM
You should of picked that option when installing ideally however if you have net

su
yum install kdebase

bbfuller
26th August 2007, 12:08 PM
Hello scm

There are two ways of approaching this,

One is to effectively make a repository of the DVD, the other is to download KDE over the internet.

If you are broadband internet connected the latter is preferable as you will get the latest updated packages for KDE and a lot of other things.

If you aren't able to use broadband post back and someone will talk you through getting what you want off the DVD.

Incidentally, KDE is an option during install if you go to "Custom" which is how I get mine.

markkuk
26th August 2007, 12:09 PM
Gnome has always been the default desktop in Fedora and installing KDE has needed extra steps, so there's no change in F7 in that respect. Open the "Add/Remove Software" application and install the KDE desktop, or run
yum groupinstall 'KDE (K Desktop Environment)' as root from the command line.

scm
26th August 2007, 12:13 PM
You should of picked that option when installing ideally however if you have net
I didn't see that option when I installed? It only gave me three options, so I ticked them all except "web services". Very different from the FC installs I've done (2, 4 and 6).

Thanks for all the replies, I should have a nice desktop and, more importantly a wonderful browser, soon! :)

markkuk
26th August 2007, 12:57 PM
I didn't see that option when I installed? It only gave me three options, so I ticked them all except "web services".
You should have picked the "Customize Now" option to access the more detailed package selection (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-package-selection.html).

JN4OldSchool
26th August 2007, 01:21 PM
It is the exact same as FC6 was. It is hard to find though, should be made a little more obvious I would think. Doing a base install and getting the rest of the packages off the net is preferable though as you will have around 600MB of updates with an average install at this date. Better to just DL the fresh packages.

bob
26th August 2007, 01:40 PM
Of course, the other option would be to start with the KDE Live CD and then add the extra KDE packages that you wanted, skipping Gnome altogether. I personally love Gnome, but the KDE Live CD worked better, so I installed from that and then back-ended the Gnome install afterwards.

scm
27th August 2007, 04:47 PM
Well, I reinstalled and this time I managed to spot the customize buttons hidden at the bottom of the screen! Thanks again for your replies, I'm on 7 now.

Can't get Firefox to see mail.google.com though, any hints? I can get to it with Konqueror (of course!), but can' t use google talk as it's "not a supported browser". :-(