PDA

View Full Version : fedora 7 and glibc-2.6-4

JimNoble
23rd August 2007, 10:44 PM
Is anyone else running Fedora 7 with glibc version 2.6-4 and seeing a vast number of SIGFPE/signal 8/Floating Point Exception type errors?

I've just had to back track to glibc-2.6-3 to avoid anything and everything crashing as a result of these errors.

eg. recent versions of Firefox and Thunderbird installed from the releases/updates repos with run for a couple of minutes at best before quitting with a Floating Point Exception.
mysqld frequently crashes on signal 8.
Gnome applets crash and disappear from the Panel with alarming regularity.
I've also noticed other system services stopping randomly (eg. zoneminder, slimserver and a homebrew daemonised perl app that logs temperatures from some 1-wire sensors at regular intervals).

I briefly tried glibc-2.6-90 from the development repo, but saw the same errors all the time. Downgrading to 2.6-3 has so far eliminated all the problems I was seeing previously.

I'm running kernel 2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen on a i945GM/Core Duo Mobile based machine, if that of any help/relevance to anyone...

Jim

davrom
24th August 2007, 12:38 AM
Is anyone else running Fedora 7 with glibc version 2.6-4 and seeing a vast number of SIGFPE/signal 8/Floating Point Exception type errors?

I've just had to back track to glibc-2.6-3 to avoid anything and everything crashing as a result of these errors.

eg. recent versions of Firefox and Thunderbird installed from the releases/updates repos with run for a couple of minutes at best before quitting with a Floating Point Exception.
mysqld frequently crashes on signal 8.
Gnome applets crash and disappear from the Panel with alarming regularity.
I've also noticed other system services stopping randomly (eg. zoneminder, slimserver and a homebrew daemonised perl app that logs temperatures from some 1-wire sensors at regular intervals).

I briefly tried glibc-2.6-90 from the development repo, but saw the same errors all the time. Downgrading to 2.6-3 has so far eliminated all the problems I was seeing previously.

I'm running kernel 2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen on a i945GM/Core Duo Mobile based machine, if that of any help/relevance to anyone...

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes it crashes for me regardless of glibc (I am on 2.6.3) but only on some websites like banks etc - seems to crash sometimes when it launches Java etc or some other plugin/dependency. I re-installed (or installed again) my Fedora 7 when I purchased a new hard drive and have used the same DVD as my previous install where firefox never crashed. Might have to download and play with running the tar.gz images from Firefox themselves rather than use the rpm versions in Fedora - maybe this might help see if the problem goes away.
Here's hoping.

davrom
3rd October 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Jim,

After our communications I kept at it and what I found was if I moved the .mozilla directory in my $HOME directory to something else and then starter Firefox, everything worked perfectly. My assumption is there must be something in the pref files somewhere that makes it fail. In any event, I am working now.