PDA

View Full Version : desktop effects nvidia8600m gs

Fittersman
21st August 2007, 09:22 PM
why cant i enable the desktop effects with my system specs? (in sig)

ive got the driver from nvidia's site

VictorienSardou
26th August 2007, 08:33 PM
have you installed the nvidia drivers?
does the driver line in the device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf have
driver "nvidia"
or
driver "nv"

phane
26th August 2007, 10:53 PM
why cant i enable the desktop effects with my system specs? (in sig)

ive got the driver from nvidia's site

There are a handful of things you can try.

Go to Applications, Add/Remove Software and search for nvidia.

Ensure that 'Nvidia-x11-drv - 100.14.11-1-fc7.i386' (or x86_64 if you're running 64 bit linux) is installed (big green checkmark). If it isn't, select it. This is the same driver available on Nvidia's website, it's just tailored to Fedora 7 (assuming you're running 7).

Next, also checkmark 'libXNVCtrl - 1.0.4.fc7.i386' (once again x86_64 if appropriate).

Apply and then go to Applications, System Tools and the Nvidia Control program (forget what it's called)

Check the version of the driver it lists as being loaded. If it's 100.14.11 then restart x. If it isn't, go to System, Administration, Display and click on the hardware tab, then configure for the card. Scroll down till you find the Nvidia propietary driver "provided by vendor" and select it instead of 'nv'. Then restart x and verify the version through the Nvidia utility.

If after all that, you still don't get Desktop Effects, it might not be supported on your card yet. It works on my 7950 GT with that version without any bugs that I've seen.

Fittersman
31st August 2007, 08:04 AM
o sweet, they work now, but another question, how do you use the cube thing? when i click another workspace it just switches over, is there a special button you need to use to get that to show its on a cube?

phane
1st September 2007, 03:38 AM
o sweet, they work now, but another question, how do you use the cube thing? when i click another workspace it just switches over, is there a special button you need to use to get that to show its on a cube?

Settings, Personal, Look and Feel, Desktop Effects. Enable those then checkmark on the "Workspace as Cube" box.

Fittersman
1st September 2007, 08:43 AM
i had it enabled, i just didnt know how to use the cube thing, it wasnt a cube

(but i found out that if you just drag the window to the edge of your screen it will rotate :P)

anoter question, do the desktop effects drain battery life more than it normally would?

phane
1st September 2007, 01:17 PM

(but i found out that if you just drag the window to the edge of your screen it will rotate :P)

anoter question, do the desktop effects drain battery life more than it normally would?

Since you are using the 3D acceleration features of your video card, I would assume the answer is yes.

Vansolrick
1st September 2007, 10:42 PM

I would say it does load up the GPU and CPU more than running without effects. So the general answer would be yes. However I dont know if it is a huge noticable difference.