PDA

View Full Version : Can't $make anything?

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 03:59 AM
I've just reinstalled Fedora 7 in an effort to fix an error with make. Every time I try to use $make, I get the following error:
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2
I reinstalled and included all software devel packages, and I still get the same error. I checked the mentioned /lib/modules/(kernel)/ folder, and I have "build" in there. Make seems to work, and I have man pages for it, but it doesn't do anything. The above is all the output I get without extra tags, and I still can't get anything with -i or -k. I need to be able to compile so I can get my video card and wireless card running, otherwise I have no use for linux, and it's windows for me. :(
Please give me any suggestions you have.

P.S. I've got x86_64, if that makes any difference.
Also, I get the same error whether I boot into Fedora or Fedora-base (the one with the more recent kernel,) albeit with the kernel version changed accordingly.

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 04:16 AM
Okay, I did some more poking, and it turns out that the build in /lib/modules/(kernel)/ is a link to a nonexistent file. It points to /usr/src/(kernel)/, but that folder doesn't exist. The only thing I have in /usr/src, for both root and my main user, is /redhat. View the screenshot. (I booted into Fedora-base for this, hence the discrepancy in kernel versions.)

drhilbert
21st August 2007, 08:04 AM
try to download the kernel-devel package (yum install kernel-devel)
cheers,

leigh123linux
21st August 2007, 08:33 AM
I've just reinstalled Fedora 7 in an effort to fix an error with make. Every time I try to use $make, I get the following error:
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2
I reinstalled and included all software devel packages, and I still get the same error. I checked the mentioned /lib/modules/(kernel)/ folder, and I have "build" in there. Make seems to work, and I have man pages for it, but it doesn't do anything. The above is all the output I get without extra tags, and I still can't get anything with -i or -k. I need to be able to compile so I can get my video card and wireless card running, otherwise I have no use for linux, and it's windows for me. :(
Please give me any suggestions you have.

P.S. I've got x86_64, if that makes any difference.
Also, I get the same error whether I boot into Fedora or Fedora-base (the one with the more recent kernel,) albeit with the kernel version changed accordingly.

Dont bother to try and compile video drivers ( ATI & nvidia ) for XEN as they dont work with the XEN kernel ( most things wont :rolleyes: )

su
yum remove kernel-xen

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tips, but neither removing XEN (I don't even know what that is, it looks like emulation, is it new to F7?) nor downloading kernel-devel works, as for the former the problem is the same whether I'm on XEN or not, and for the latter I can't download through yum, and having installed all devel packages from the dvd twice I would imagine I have all the requisite packages. If there's somewhere to dl the package in tar(.gz) form and put it on my flash drive, I can do that.

leigh123linux
21st August 2007, 09:07 AM
What drivers do you want ?

also post the errors :rolleyes:

and the output from this

rpm -q kernel kernel-devel

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 09:25 AM
Yup, an rpm query shows kernel-devel as missing.
The only truly critical driver is that for the Ralink RT61 wireless card. Once I get that up I can download the fglrx drivers as per your howto. However, both the proprietary and open drivers for the RT61 come in source tarballs only, and even if binaries exist I don't believe I will have any more luck with those, as when, before I reinstalled Fedora, I tried to use the proprietary fglrx binary installer, it didn't do anything either.
So, if there's any way of getting kernel-devel through a windows box and onto a flash drive, that would be great. :)

leigh123linux
21st August 2007, 09:29 AM
Get the kernel-devel off the DVD or here

http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/x86_64/os/Fedora/kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.x86_64.rpm

su
rpm -i kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.x86_64.rpm

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll go try it out and report back. :)

Aldrenean
21st August 2007, 10:05 AM
Well, I can now make things, but I still can't get the open rt61 drivers to work. Maybe I'm just screwed. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.