PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a movie editing software

Boss82
21st August 2007, 01:05 AM
I just started using Linux and im wondering if there is a program out there that will let me cut parts out of a movie? thanks for any help.

ryptyde
21st August 2007, 01:29 AM
There's Cinelerra or Kino to name a couple.

Wayne
21st August 2007, 01:54 AM
Avidemux is in Livna

Wayne

stevea
21st August 2007, 04:44 AM
If you want to see reviews/comparisons of various vid software (for Linux and others) I recommend this website.
http://www.videohelp.com/
See
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/linux-video-tools

Please post back whatever you find.

clifweb
22nd August 2007, 04:16 PM
How to install Cinelerra using without enabling Freshrpms.

Error: Missing Dependency: libx264.so.55 is needed by package cinelerra
Error: Missing Dependency: libmjpegutils-1.9.so.0 is needed by package cinelerra

THis when downloaded the rpm package.

When I enabled freshrmps I still got an error. I wish to make it to work according to the livna packeges. HELP

clifweb
26th August 2007, 12:33 PM
Hello Any information

larryt
27th August 2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Clifweb,

It's a big problem. See my thread on "broken repos" which was all about installing Cinerella. Read the WHOLE thing before you do any commands as I went down some blind alleys here.

The problem that I now have is that Cinerella from freshrpms depends on libx264.so.55, but this library is at libx264.so.54 on livna. So if you download Cinerella from the freshrpms site then you have to get the libx264.so.55 and install that, which in turn plays havock with other software that depends on the .54 at livna. Example. I've installed mplayer, but I can't install mencoder, because that requires the libx264x.so.54 AND you can't replace the libx264.so.55 with a libx264.so.54 as YUM barfs at it. There is a option that I'm considering which is a "--provides libx264.so.54" and see what happens. See my recent post (can't call it a thread if no-one answers it) on 'can't get mencoder to work'. I'm also thinking of un-installing mplayer (from livna) and installing it and mencoder from freshrpms to get by the problem.

All that said, the folks on this list have been very helpfull and I'm gratefull for their time and support in helping me. I do have Cinerella working and it's pretty cool. I believe at this point that I can do more with Cinerella then I ever could with Microsoft Movie Maker.

Good luck and hang in there,

Larry

scorpio54
27th August 2007, 09:33 PM
Larryt is right. I too am having problems with Mplayer after I got Cinelerra to install and run. Post 19 is the key to install off the thread. Thought I had Mplayer reinstalled but it doesn't launch. Damn dependency conflicts. Yet to resolve it myself. Hate to attempt more freshrpm installs and more problems.

dubb
27th August 2007, 09:41 PM
Hi Clifweb,

It's a big problem. See my thread on "broken repos" which was all about installing Cinerella. Read the WHOLE thing before you do any commands as I went down some blind alleys here.

The problem that I now have is that Cinerella from freshrpms depends on libx264.so.55, but this library is at libx264.so.54 on livna. So if you download Cinerella from the freshrpms site then you have to get the libx264.so.55 and install that, which in turn plays havock with other software that depends on the .54 at livna. Example. I've installed mplayer, but I can't install mencoder, because that requires the libx264x.so.54 AND you can't replace the libx264.so.55 with a libx264.so.54 as YUM barfs at it. There is a option that I'm considering which is a "--provides libx264.so.54" and see what happens. See my recent post (can't call it a thread if no-one answers it) on 'can't get mencoder to work'. I'm also thinking of un-installing mplayer (from livna) and installing it and mencoder from freshrpms to get by the problem.

All that said, the folks on this list have been very helpfull and I'm gratefull for their time and support in helping me. I do have Cinerella working and it's pretty cool. I believe at this point that I can do more with Cinerella then I ever could with Microsoft Movie Maker.

Good luck and hang in there,

Larry
I was messing with cinerella, I have it installed and I manage to get all the dependencies except for X264. Why cant we just update the libx264.so.54 with libx264.so.55? after all isnt it an updated version? VLC and other media players are dependent on this. cant they use a new version?

btw, my cinerella is working fine. i just want to solve this issue with x264

dann
27th August 2007, 10:54 PM
probably to most straightforward is transcode. If you know what times you'd like split out, it comes with a utility called avisplit. Assuming you have the movies in an avi file.

$avisplit -t 1:00-500 -i sourcefile.avi -o outputfile.avi

(that pulls out a slice of the movie from the 1 minute to 5 minute mark)

if you want to do some elaborate cutting and splicing, try cinelerra. But that's alot more work.

scorpio54
28th August 2007, 11:47 AM
Try this thread to repair dependency issue. Worked for me. http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37668

larryt
28th August 2007, 02:31 PM
I was messing with cinerella, I have it installed and I manage to get all the dependencies except for X264. Why cant we just update the libx264.so.54 with libx264.so.55? after all isnt it an updated version? VLC and other media players are dependent on this. cant they use a new version?

btw, my cinerella is working fine. i just want to solve this issue with x264

Hi Dubb,

The problem gets to be something like this.

Assuming that your Fedora 7 is using the livna repo as it's principal repo, (as mine is) then you have probably all sorts of packages already installed (like mplayer and mencoder) that already depend on one version of the libx264 package. When you go to another repo (like freshrpms), you might not be able to download a package from that repo that depends on a different version of the libx264 package.

By the way, I got past my problem, which was that I couldn't install mencoder because it needed to be the same as mplayer, which was dependent on libx264.so.55. livna was my principal repo, and it only had libx264.so.54. So I had to remove mplayer. At that point then I had NO mplayer and I could pick any repo's mplayer and mencoder. I found in my investigating the mplayer on the freshrpm's site, that it used the libx264.so.55, which is what I was using for Cinerella, and what was on my machine. So I downloaded the freshrpm's mplayer and mencoder. They had no conflict with the libx264.so.55. Problem solved.

The site www.pbone.net is very usefull in finding out where rpm's are located. Once it finds a rpm you can drill down into it to see what it's rpm contents are, like what libraries it uses, like wether this version of mplayer uses libx264.20.54 or libx264.so.55. VERY USEFULL!

I'm still learning my way around, but I can see that once you start to get use to how these things are suppose to work, and what the process is for resolving these conflicts, that we should be able to figure out our own problems and how to resolve them.

Hope that helps,

Larry